Fonts rendered in 2.5 ugly!?

Post by Christian Kuehn » Tue, 26 Mar 1996 04:00:00

Hi all,
it seems to me as if there is something broken in the font rendering
in Solaris 2.5; just log in into a "failsafe" session, fire up "twm"
and look at the title bar. If I switch the FontPath over to our font-
server (plain X11R6 on 4.1.3_U1) it looks far better.

As far as my experiments have shown, this is not due to differences
between FontPath and the FontServer "catalogue". Besides I vaguely
remember to have seen a Patch for OpenWindows-3.4 regarding quality
of rendered fonts.

Has anybody already investigated this further?

Christian
--

                                             |Tel.: +49 441 798 2978 (dienstl.)
                                             |Fax : +49 441 798 2980

Fonts rendered in 2.5 ugly!?

Post by Stephen Bish » Tue, 26 Mar 1996 04:00:00

Christian> Hi all, it seems to me as if there is something broken in the
Christian> font rendering in Solaris 2.5; just log in into a "failsafe"
Christian> session, fire up "twm" and look at the title bar. If I switch
Christian> the FontPath over to our font- server (plain X11R6 on 4.1.3_U1)
Christian> it looks far better.

Christian> As far as my experiments have shown, this is not due to
Christian> differences between FontPath and the FontServer
Christian> "catalogue". Besides I vaguely remember to have seen a Patch for
Christian> OpenWindows-3.4 regarding quality of rendered fonts.

Christian> Has anybody already investigated this further?

Certainly something's wrong, because some Motif applications run on
straight-from-the-box 2.5 can look awful.  To my mind, the Solaris 2.5 X
server has a strange default font path: it uses the scalable fonts (like
F3, Type1 and Speedo) in preference to the bitmap fonts that have been
generated in fixed sizes (like 75dpi and misc).  This means that a request
for, say, 14 point Helvetica Bold is satisfied by scaling a generic nominal
size font rather than using one that has already been created and optimised
for that size.  Surely a better approach is to use a scaled font only if a
ready-made version is not available - bearing in mind that scaling doesn't
produce very good results on low-resolution devices like screens?

Anyway, on my system, I have simply put a few xset commands in the Xsetup
script to move the scalable fonts to the end of the font path.  Not
elegant, but at least my $20000 Sparcstation now looks as good as the $2000
Windows 95 box sitting next to it.
--
Stephen Bishop                     Voice: +44 181 715 9696
Data Logic Limited                 Fax:   +44 181 715 1771

High Street, New Malden            WWW:   http://www.datlog.co.uk/~sbishop/
Surrey KT3 4HH, England            PGP:   KeyID 2935F4C5

1. Ugly font rendering in Mozilla 1.4 on dual headed Solaris 9 machine

Hi,

I have a Sun Blade 1000 running Solaris 9 08/03. The machine
has dual Elite 3Dm6 framebuffers and I have enable Xinerama mode.

When running Mozilla 1.4 I notice that certain web sites cause very
unpleasant font rendering (e.g. a mixture of gigantic fonts, and
unreadable fonts).

When I used to run Netscape 7.0 on a Sun Ultra 2 with series 3 Creator
3D I don't recall this problem (Solaris 08/03 again).

I was wondering whether anyone else has encountered this behavior?

Thanks and regards,
Andrew

2. Where to put custom startup items?

3. Solaris 2.5 won't render extra Type-1 fonts

4. upgrade questions

5. In search of Solaris 2.5 Netscape Navigator 3.0 plug ins

6. gdb-4.18 crashes!

7. [2.5] Ugly workaround for smb_proc_getattr oops

8. NCSA httpd 1.4 problems

9. TCP/IP ugly slow (2.5.1x86)

10. UGLY Icon fonts in Redhat 7

11. KDE 2.1, qt 2.3.0 - TrueType font rendering

12. What's the deal with ugly screen fonts?

13. Ugly fonts in Mozilla and Xchat- Howto