Starts x86 boot from AHA2940UW disk then says no boot disk

Starts x86 boot from AHA2940UW disk then says no boot disk

Post by Donald Kuen » Fri, 25 Feb 2000 04:00:00

I replaced an AHA1542 card with an AHA2940UW card in a pc.

During boot, the pc loads the master boot record (MBR) from SCSI
disk 0, it in turn starts the Solaris boot process, which
then falls into auto configuration because Solaris can not
find bootable disk.

I suspect that Solaris places /devices/*isa* info into the
MBR and somehow I need to replace that info with /devices/*pci*
to recognize the new card.

I'll probably temporarily install both cards and connect
disk 0 to the AHA2940UW. That way, I bet Solaris will find /devices/*isa*
and become happy enough to continue the boot. Then a "b -r" should
install the necessary /devices/*pci*, after which, I should be able
to remove the AHA1542. One more "b -r" and the AHA1542 should be
history.

If you've fought this battle before your successful solution is
appreciated.

Starts x86 boot from AHA2940UW disk then says no boot disk

Post by Logan Sh » Fri, 25 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>I replaced an AHA1542 card with an AHA2940UW card in a pc.

>During boot, the pc loads the master boot record (MBR) from SCSI
>disk 0, it in turn starts the Solaris boot process, which
>then falls into auto configuration because Solaris can not
>find bootable disk.

Infodoc 13133 describes what to do.  In my case, I changed drives and
controllers (from IDE to SCSI), but the principles are much the same.
If you're not already aware, you can look at infodocs by going to
http://sunsolve.sun.com/ and logging in as a registered user.

The gist of it is that you want to boot off the CD-ROM, have it figure
out pathnames, mount the disk, edit /etc/vfstab (potentially), and also
edit /etc/bootrc.  It seems like it also might not be a bad idea to do
an "installboot", but I'm not 100% sure of that.

Hope that helps.

  - Logan