Covering my bases... (aka Second opinion)

Covering my bases... (aka Second opinion)

Post by Chri » Wed, 07 Mar 2001 12:47:03

Hi all,

I've got a weird problem that I'd like to run past the group.  I've got
a Solaris7 box (SPARC) behind a Cisco Pix firewall.  The Solaris is
configured with an internal IP address of 10.3.1.x.

I'm having to switch IP addresses (different T1 circuit provider), and
so the router/firewall/cisco guy (for lack of better title :) has
another interface on the Pix set up with that circuit.

So, since my box is set up with an internal address, there isn't much
for me to do (other than DNS stuffs), but just to make sure I check my
config files and this is what I have:

/etc/hosts:
127.0.0.1       localhost
10.3.1.x      shams loghost

/etc/defaultrouter:
10.3.1.1

/etc/netmasks:
10.0.0.0        255.255.255.0

Now this all looks ok to me, and when on the old (soon to be replaced)
network, I can connect up to the 'net with no problems (mind you this is
also going through the Pix, but on a different interface) without even
touching anything (well, a ifconfig hme0 down/up helps).  When I plug
into the new network, I can only ping the firewall (10.3.1.1), myself
(10.3.1.x), and the external IP address the Pix has mapped to itself
(64.x.x.x).

So I was wondering if there's anything in Solaris I'm missing.  I think
it's the Pix config myself, but I want to try to rule any possibility
out on my end if I can.

Ideas and suggestions welcomed!

Thanks,

Chris

Post by Doug O'Lear » Wed, 07 Mar 2001 22:50:01

> When I plug into the new network, I can only ping the
> firewall (10.3.1.1), myself (10.3.1.x), and the external
> IP address the Pix has mapped to itself (64.x.x.x).

If you can ping the external address of the Pix firewall, then
your Solaris environment is completely configured.  There's
nothing on the Solaris end that I know of that will get you any
further.

HTH;

Doug

--
------------------------
Douglas K. O'Leary

1. Covering my bases...

[This is a second post to the NG.  My original post has not shown up to
this group after 13 hours, so I'm reposting from another usenet feed.  My
apologies for the double post *if* the original one makes it here!]

[...]

----

"You know what I'm gonna do?  I'm gonna take my foolish pride, get it on a
southbound freight and let it _ride_."
                                        The incomparable Tom Jones

2. My TGUI9440 used to work with 3.1.2F !!

3. route based on incoming eth out ppp - two eth / two ppp

4. USB device support

5. Support for 3com Etherlink XL aka 3c900 aka boomerang?

6. bsd not booting properly

7. slackware 1.1.1 + LaTeX2e (from slackware 1.1.2)

8. Xpmac and "AltGr" aka Mode_switch aka Mod3

9. 23 second kernel compile (aka which patches help scalibility on NUMA)

10. 100 base T Opinions Needed

11. Anybody tried various 2.4 kernel based distributions? Opinions?

12. Opinions on Intel-based UNIX packages