where's the login-message?

Post by Kai Krebbe » Tue, 11 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Howdy!

Simple question: In what file is the message saved that is displayed
before the login-prompt, while starting a telnet session (i.e. not the
motd).
The text displayed on my system is: UNIX(r) System V...
In Linux, the file is called /etc/issue, in some other /etc/preamble.

Any idea?
        Kai Krebber

where's the login-message?

Post by R. Stewart Ell » Wed, 12 Mar 1997 04:00:00

 >Howdy!

 >Simple question: In what file is the message saved that is displayed
 >before the login-prompt, while starting a telnet session (i.e. not the
 >motd).
 >The text displayed on my system is: UNIX(r) System V...
 >In Linux, the file is called /etc/issue, in some other /etc/preamble.

Try 'man issue'.

--
  R.Stewart(Stew) Ellis, Assoc.Prof., (Off)810-762-9765   ___________________
  Humanities & Social Science,  GMI Eng.& Mgmt.Inst. ()  /   _____  ______

where's the login-message?

Post by D. Roc » Wed, 12 Mar 1997 04:00:00

: Howdy!

: Simple question: In what file is the message saved that is displayed
: before the login-prompt, while starting a telnet session (i.e. not the
: motd).
: The text displayed on my system is: UNIX(r) System V...
: In Linux, the file is called /etc/issue, in some other /etc/preamble.

: Any idea?
:       Kai Krebber
It's compiled into in.telnetd

Daniel

where's the login-message?

Post by Operations Cente » Thu, 13 Mar 1997 04:00:00

vi the /etc/issue file and then whenever you log in it will dump the
contents of that file just before the "login:" prompt...

Tyler Hall