How do I abort loading CDE?

Post by h.. » Wed, 07 May 2003 01:52:01

I did a new install of Solaris 9 on an Ultra.  The resolution was not
good so I did an m64config and apparently the system didn't like my
choice so now my CDE comes up blank screen.  How can I abort the
nothing I try will get out of it.

Thanks,

Hal

How do I abort loading CDE?

Post by Rich Tee » Wed, 07 May 2003 02:49:27

Quote:> I did a new install of Solaris 9 on an Ultra.  The resolution was not
> good so I did an m64config and apparently the system didn't like my
> choice so now my CDE comes up blank screen.  How can I abort the
> nothing I try will get out of it.

Try using Failsafe mode when you log in.

--
Rich Teer, SCNA

President,
Rite Online Inc.

Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

How do I abort loading CDE?

Post by jimleon » Wed, 07 May 2003 02:46:52

> I did a new install of Solaris 9 on an Ultra.  The resolution was not
> good so I did an m64config and apparently the system didn't like my
> choice so now my CDE comes up blank screen.  How can I abort the
> nothing I try will get out of it.

Boot to single user mode (at ok> prompt, "boot -s").

You maybe able to fix your problem while in this mode.

To inhibit dtlogin from starting up, rename S99dtlogin in /etc/rc2.d to
something unique that does not start with "Capital S".

How do I abort loading CDE?

Post by Michael Laajane » Wed, 07 May 2003 04:15:11

HI,

> I did a new install of Solaris 9 on an Ultra.  The resolution was not
> good so I did an m64config and apparently the system didn't like my
> choice so now my CDE comes up blank screen.  How can I abort the
> nothing I try will get out of it.

boot in single user mode from openboot using boot -s

Then once login as root disable CDE login, # /usr/dt/bin/dtconfig -d

logout and the machine should go up? to runlevel 3 with a console login
only.

Now, login as root and use /usr/sbin/fbconfig to set better values.

Then I think you can try X using /usr/dt/bin/dtwm if not just
enable CDE login again /usr/dt/bin/dtconfig -e and reboot

/michael

1. How to abort CDE using keybaord??

Hello ppl,

        Some times when running wabi and for some reason wabi crashed,
I am left with no way of closing it. if this happens with me not
running any terminal sessions I can kill it and I can't exit CDE
altogether and am left with the only option of pushing RESET button. I
can't seem to find any way to exit CDE (or OPENWIN for that matter)
using keyboard. I am sure the system is hanging because if somebody
telnet into my machine it gives him a login name. I know someone might
suggest that I telnet into my machine from another machine and just
kill the dtlogin. But since my machine is at home and it might not be
connected to the internet when this happen then this option won't
work. So, my question is: Is there a key combination to use in such
extreme situations???

thank you all

2. Setting up software RAID 0?????

3. 2.5.70-bk1[23]: load_module crashes when aborting module load

4. the meaning and usage of named pipe

5. CDE, CDE, CDE, --- !@#%^*_(!#$

6. Problems with NT/Linux dual boot

7. Network Station not loading CDE

8. Is there a professional grade fortan compiler for linux?

9. Solaris 2.6 CDE takes forever to load

10. CDE Not loading Properly

11. Problem loading CDE with Exceed on Solaris 2.8 - HELP

12. CDE mailtool (load mailfolder??)

13. CDE Will Not Load (core dump)