newbie NIC problem

Post by ryan m& » Mon, 21 Feb 2005 16:56:34

i am going to install a solaris 10
right now i am using a USB wifi adapter in winxp
but i don't have a ethernet adapter
i am sure this won't be supported in solaris coz it is made by M$
what kind of lan card i should buy for solaris?
i went 3com.com to look up. their price is quite awesome for 3com itself

newbie NIC problem

Post by Matt » Mon, 21 Feb 2005 20:24:50

> i am going to install a solaris 10
> right now i am using a USB wifi adapter in winxp
> but i don't have a ethernet adapter
> i am sure this won't be supported in solaris coz it is made by M$
> what kind of lan card i should buy for solaris?
> i went 3com.com to look up. their price is quite awesome for 3com itself

Just get a standard, generic NIC with a Realtek 8139 chipset. They're
normally priced around $20; available from your local* Smiths, Harvey
Norman etc. etc.

Matt

newbie NIC problem

Post by Josip Graci » Tue, 22 Feb 2005 01:18:21

> Just get a standard, generic NIC with a Realtek 8139 chipset. They're
> normally priced around $20; available from your local* Smiths, Harvey
> Norman etc. etc.

Or Intel's Pro100.  Works without problems.  There are many more at
http://www.veryComputer.com/

newbie NIC problem

Post by ryan m& » Tue, 22 Feb 2005 02:33:43

do the card provide driver??
or solaris has a std driver for them??
Thanks

>>Just get a standard, generic NIC with a Realtek 8139 chipset. They're
>>normally priced around $20; available from your local* Smiths, Harvey
>>Norman etc. etc.

> Or Intel's Pro100.  Works without problems.  There are many more at
> http://www.veryComputer.com/

newbie NIC problem

Post by ryan m& » Tue, 22 Feb 2005 02:47:51

>>i am going to install a solaris 10
>>right now i am using a USB wifi adapter in winxp
>>but i don't have a ethernet adapter
>>i am sure this won't be supported in solaris coz it is made by M$
>>what kind of lan card i should buy for solaris?
>>i went 3com.com to look up. their price is quite awesome for 3com itself

> Just get a standard, generic NIC with a Realtek 8139 chipset. They're
> normally priced around $20; available from your local* Smiths, Harvey
> Norman etc. etc.

> Matt

Thanks

newbie NIC problem

Post by Dave Uhrin » Tue, 22 Feb 2005 04:01:32

>> Just get a standard, generic NIC with a Realtek 8139 chipset. They're
>> normally priced around $20; available from your local* Smiths, Harvey
>> Norman etc. etc.

>> Matt
> Thanks

From looking at the HCL entry for that NIC

http://www.veryComputer.com/

it certainly appears that the driver must be downloaded and added to the
OS.

You would be much better advised to pick up one or more Intel Pro 100B
NICs on ebay.com.  The driver is part of the OS and they can be bought at
ridiculously low prices.  The last batch of 5 of these NICs I bought cost
me $0.99 + $10.00 shipping.

newbie NIC problem

Post by Chris » Tue, 22 Feb 2005 05:33:56

ryan,

I used a Linksys NIC on Solaris 10, but I had downloaded the drivers
from http://sol-enet.sourceforge.net/ to get it to work.  I've already
contacted the author to inform him that his drivers also worked on
Solaris 10.  It was refreshingly easy to get them to work.

My instructions are here:
http://techprosaugusta.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219

Good luck.

newbie NIC problem

Post by ryan m& » Wed, 23 Feb 2005 14:56:32

> ryan,

> I used a Linksys NIC on Solaris 10, but I had downloaded the drivers
> from http://sol-enet.sourceforge.net/ to get it to work.  I've already
> contacted the author to inform him that his drivers also worked on
> Solaris 10.  It was refreshingly easy to get them to work.

> My instructions are here:
> http://techprosaugusta.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219

> Good luck.

i would like to have intel PRO1000MT 82545GM which is on the solaris x86
HCL.
i just found out that Solaris also included the driver, so that i won't
be pissed off too fast. Thank you for all you guys' help. AND it's not
too expensive, pricewatch.com said it is $24

newbie NIC problem

Post by ryan m& » Wed, 23 Feb 2005 14:40:24

>>>Just get a standard, generic NIC with a Realtek 8139 chipset. They're
>>>normally priced around $20; available from your local* Smiths, Harvey
>>>Norman etc. etc.

>>>Matt

>>Thanks

> From looking at the HCL entry for that NIC

> http://www.veryComputer.com/

> it certainly appears that the driver must be downloaded and added to the
> OS.

> You would be much better advised to pick up one or more Intel Pro 100B
> NICs on ebay.com.  The driver is part of the OS and they can be bought at
> ridiculously low prices.  The last batch of 5 of these NICs I bought cost
> me $0.99 + $10.00 shipping.

ha...UPS charged u more than intel did XDDDD

1. newbie nic problem

when i go into linuxconfig and set up my info for eth0 i get erros when
i exit.  I think that the problem is the module for my nic...

i am running rehat 5.2 and have a 3com fast etherlink XL 10/100 card.
Please help.
--Rugger

2. s390: descriptions.

3. newbie routing problem / dual NIC

4. Serial Console Config? Help!

5. Newbie's problem with NIC

6. long time to log in

7. Newbie 3com NIC problems

8. telnet without login

9. Newbie with NIC problem....

10. Newbie Problems with NIC After 4.5 install

11. Newbie have read HOWTO and other - NIC problem

12. Linux Newbie - Problems getting cable modem and NIC to work

13. newbie routing problem / dual NIC