Solaris 8 man command missing

Post by mf » Wed, 18 Jul 2001 23:47:52

Man pages or command wasn't installed.  I can't find the man command
anywhere, I've looked on all the Solaris 8 CD's, I've looked just about
everywhere, even looked online to see if I could download a pkgadd file,
nothing.  I'm guessing the Solaris 8 man pages and the actual command to
view them are in the same pkgadd file?  Where can I find it?

-Mark

                http://www.usenet.com

Post by Alan Coopersmit » Thu, 19 Jul 2001 00:02:26

|Man pages or command wasn't installed.  I can't find the man command
|anywhere, I've looked on all the Solaris 8 CD's, I've looked just about
|everywhere, even looked online to see if I could download a pkgadd file,
|nothing.  I'm guessing the Solaris 8 man pages and the actual command to
|view them are in the same pkgadd file?  Where can I find it?

Actually, they're in seperate packages - most of the man pages are on
CD 2 of 2, while I believe the man command is on CD 1:

SUNWdoc - man command
SUNWman - main OS man pages
SUNWmfman - Motif programming man pages
SUNWj2man, SUNWjvman - Java man pages
SUNWxwman - X Window System man pages
SUNWxwpmn - X Programming man pages

Post by Tony Walto » Thu, 19 Jul 2001 00:20:24

> Man pages or command wasn't installed.  I can't find the man command
> anywhere, I've looked on all the Solaris 8 CD's, I've looked just about
> everywhere, even looked online to see if I could download a pkgadd file,
> nothing.  I'm guessing the Solaris 8 man pages and the actual command to
> view them are in the same pkgadd file?  Where can I find it?

The man command itself, together with support stuff such as sgml to
troff converter, is in SUNWdoc

manpages are in SUNWman (basic system manpages), SUNWj2man (JDK 1.2
manpages), SUNWjvman (Java VM manpages), SUNWmfman (CDE Motif manpages),
SUNWolman (Open Look manpages) and SUNWxwman (X Windows manpages).

None of these package names seems particularly difficult to guess...

--
Tony