need opinions on compiler for 2.6

Post by Roger L. Jens » Thu, 02 Oct 1997 04:00:00

What does the main stream use??
Price?/Source?

thanks,
rogerj

need opinions on compiler for 2.6

Post by Scott Giffor » Fri, 03 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

> What does the main stream use??
> Price?/Source?

  I would venture to guess that significantly more than half of the Solaris
machines out there use the GNU C compiler (gcc), which is an excellent
compiler, totally free, and available in binary form from
http://www.sunfreeware.com (among various other places).  I have been using
it since Solaris 2.3 and have always been very happy with it.

-----Scott.

Post by Jason Patterso » Sat, 04 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> What does the main stream use??

Assuming you are looking for C/C++, there are 3 main options...

Sun C/C++ Visual Workshop
  Pros: good optimizer for all hardware including UltraSPARC
        fast incremental linker and pretty fast compilers
        very powerful de* able to visualize data structures,
           detect memory access errors, and report memory leaks
        bundled with nice tools (profiler, class browser, GUI builder)
        has a GUI-style IDE if you like that sort of thing
        good integration with hardware-level stuff (eg VIS SDK)
  Cons: very expensive
        doesn't come with STL (use a ported version of SGI's STL)
        a bit behind other compilers in ANSI C++ support (not much)
        the IDE is a bit klunky (most people don't use it)

Apogee C/C++
  Pros: good optimizer for all hardware including UltraSPARC
        can be purchased with KAP/VAST optimizing pre-processors
        good ANSI C++ support, including STL
  Cons: expensive
        needs third party de* (an extra cost)
        no nice GUI stuff (except for de*)
        no extra tools such as browsers/profilers (use freeware)

GNU GCC/G++ and DDD
       ddd is at http://www.veryComputer.com/
  Pros: free
        support across many platforms, with lots and lots of users
        DDD is quite a good de* (although not as good as Suns)
        pretty good support for ANSI C++ & STL (exceptions are weakest part)
        some nice language extensions, eg asm()
        source code available if you want to fix or add something
  Cons: optimizer generally not as good (but better on some things)
        no UltraSPARC optimizations (ie scheduling & V9 instructions)
        no nice GUI stuff (except for DDD)
        no extra tools such as browsers/profilers (use freeware)

There are also other C/C++ compilers for Solaris, but they aren't really
"mainstream".

JASON PATTERSON

 Imagine that CRAY decides to make a personal computer. It contains 16
 Alpha based processors executing in parallel, has 800 megabytes of RAM,
 100 Gigabytes of disk storage, a resolution of 4096 x 4096 pixels, does
 24bit 3D graphics in realtime, relies entirely on voice recognition for
 input, fits in your shirt pocket and costs $300. What is the first
 question the computer community asks?

 "Is it DOS compatible?"

Post by Bengt Klebe » Sat, 04 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> > What does the main stream use??

> Assuming you are looking for C/C++, there are 3 main options...

...deleted 2

> GNU GCC/G++ and DDD
>        ddd is at http://www.veryComputer.com/
>   Pros: free
>         support across many platforms, with lots and lots of users
>         DDD is quite a good de* (although not as good as Suns)
>         pretty good support for ANSI C++ & STL (exceptions are weakest part)
>         some nice language extensions, eg asm()
>         source code available if you want to fix or add something
>   Cons: optimizer generally not as good (but better on some things)
>         no UltraSPARC optimizations (ie scheduling & V9 instructions)
>         no nice GUI stuff (except for DDD)
>         no extra tools such as browsers/profilers (use freeware)

Since I asked a similar question some time ago I think I can help with
additional info.

--
Best Wishes, Bengt

need opinions on compiler for 2.6

Post by Alan Coopersmi » Sun, 05 Oct 1997 04:00:00

egcs (http://www.cygnus.com/egcs/) has additional UltraSparc/SparcV9
support over the last gcc release, but should be considered as a
"beta-test" quality product for now.   (See their web site for more
info on this relatively new project to revitalize gcc development.)

Univ. of California at Berkeley         http://soar.Berkeley.EDU/~alanc/

Post by Bob Palowo » Mon, 06 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> egcs (http://www.cygnus.com/egcs/) has additional UltraSparc/SparcV9
> support over the last gcc release, but should be considered as a
> "beta-test" quality product for now.   (See their web site for more
> info on this relatively new project to revitalize gcc development.)

Not only that but they put the pentium/pentium-pro support in for Solaris x86
users.  I put a build snapshot 9-10-97 for Solaris 2.6 x86 up for
anonymous ftp.  See http://fiver.fiver.net/solaris_x86/egcs   or
anon ftp from taz.fiver.net in /pub/solarisx86/egcs.

This compiler also has the fortran frontend.

---Bob