Big NIS+ / NFS Problem!

Post by Wolfgang Platze » Sat, 27 Feb 1999 04:00:00

One week ago I started to reinstall Solaris 2.6 with NIS+ on our
network. I created a NIS+ master server and then I installed the
clients.

Everything seemed to work fine, but as I setup the first NFS server I
encountered a big problem:

group access rights do not work over NFS!!!

1) telnet or rlogin to the NFS server -> group acces O.K. (I am not the
owner of the file!)

2) directory mounted from NFS server

  a) if I am the owner of the directory everything is ok; 'cd test'
works.
  b) if I am not the owner, but my primary group has access rights rwx
'cd test' does not work.
     The error message is: 'Permission denied'

3) Everything else seems to work fine, too.

'ls -l' shows:

drwxrwx---   3 root     javasec      512 Feb 24 14:58 test

'niscat group.org_dir' shows:

uucp:*:5:root,uucp
nogroup:*:65534:
daemon::12:root,daemon
other:*:1:
root:*:0:root
staff:*:10:
javasec:*:103:wplatzer
nobody::60001:
noaccess::60002:

'nisdefaults' shows:

Principal Name : wplatzer.iaik.tu-graz.ac.at.
Domain Name    : iaik.tu-graz.ac.at.
Host Name      : kierkegaard.iaik.tu-graz.ac.at.
Group Name     :
Access Rights  : ----rmcdr---r---
Time to live   : 12:00:00
Search Path    : iaik.tu-graz.ac.at.
                 tu-graz.ac.at.
                 ac.at.

and 'cd test' results in:

test/: Permission denied.

/etc/dfs/dfstab looks like:

share -F nfs -o sec=dh,rw -d "TEST_NFS" /test_nfs

Has anyone an idea what could be wrong?
Is there a log file or something?

Wolfgang Platzer

--
Dipl.-Ing. Wolfgang Platzer
Technische Universitaet Graz - University of Technology Graz

Big NIS+ / NFS Problem!

Post by Neil Ricke » Sat, 27 Feb 1999 04:00:00

>One week ago I started to reinstall Solaris 2.6 with NIS+ on our
>network. I created a NIS+ master server and then I installed the
>clients.
>Everything seemed to work fine, but as I setup the first NFS server I
>encountered a big problem:
>group access rights do not work over NFS!!!

This is not quite right.

If you use secure nfs, then group access works differently.

If you use insecure nfs, then group access works as in ordinary unix
usage.

For secure nfs, group permissions are not based on the contents of
'/etc/group', nor on the nis+ groups database.  Rather, they are base
on the list of groups in a user's local credentials.  If you recreate
the local credentials of a user (with 'nisaddcred'), this will
probably have the effect of updating that user credential to reflect
current group membership.

Big NIS+ / NFS Problem!

Post by Wolfgang Platze » Tue, 02 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Thank you very much!

This was the trick!

Wolfgang

> >One week ago I started to reinstall Solaris 2.6 with NIS+ on our
> >network. I created a NIS+ master server and then I installed the
> >clients.

> >Everything seemed to work fine, but as I setup the first NFS server I
> >encountered a big problem:

> >group access rights do not work over NFS!!!

> This is not quite right.

> If you use secure nfs, then group access works differently.

> If you use insecure nfs, then group access works as in ordinary unix
> usage.

> For secure nfs, group permissions are not based on the contents of
> '/etc/group', nor on the nis+ groups database.  Rather, they are base
> on the list of groups in a user's local credentials.  If you recreate
> the local credentials of a user (with 'nisaddcred'), this will
> probably have the effect of updating that user credential to reflect
> current group membership.

1. I have a BIG, BIG,BIG problem with DOSEMU 0.98.5.

Hello,

Please can some one help me with this:

I have Red Hat 5.2, kernel 2.0.36, dosemu 0.98.5.
When i start DOSEMU then the config.sys and autoexec.bat will not load into
the computer his memory in DOSEMU.
I have placed the config.sys and the autoexec.bat on c:\
I have set the var. $_emusys = "sys" and $_emubat = "bat" into the
dosemu.conf.

But it will not work, can some one help me, what do i wrong?

Greatings Jarno

2. Trident 9660

3. big disk problems - or: big-disk problems?

4. Sender header

5. NIS : auth problem with Linux nis server and SUN sparc nis client

6. Enlightenment theme: Black E DR16, anyone?

7. Secure NFS under Solaris 2.5/2.5.1 without NIS/NIS+ ?

8. Redhat 7.3 and ORiNOCO pc card/PCI adapter

9. ??? NIS, NIS+, NFS slow down webserver delivering?

10. nfs,nis and nis+

11. Big Big Big CORE Image !!

12. Netware NFS <-> (Sun) NFS & NIS

13. NFS problem with big files and speed