Quotas on Solaris vs quotas on Linux

Post by Mark Aitchison - Physics and Astronomy Computologi » Thu, 21 May 1998 04:00:00

Quotas on a linux disk are reported in blocks, on a Solaris system in Kb; I'd
like to avoid confusion for users by using the same units throughout, but the
quota and rquotad programs on each system don't allow me to override the units.

Is Solaris correct, or is Linux?

Is there a way to fix this?

(Also: Linux has the ability to place quotas on groups, not just users; Solaris
doesn't - this suggests the best solution might be to write my own quota
command for Solaris, unless there is something already available).

Mark Aitchison.

Quotas on Solaris vs quotas on Linux

Post by Andrew Gabri » Thu, 21 May 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>doesn't - this suggests the best solution might be to write my own quota
>command for Solaris, unless there is something already available).

I wrote a quota replacement for our system as I deemed the output
from the supplied programs to be totally useless for non-unix
people, a lot of whom use our server through samba. It also has
an option to output as html which enables it to be run as a CGI
script for those users who never need to login to the server.

It has a number of other features which are very specific to our
environment, but the guts of it are probably useful if you were
thinking of writing your own. It has no support for inode quotas,
as I have no interest in them. Also, for some of its functions
to work, it runs setuid root and I won't claim it is safe against
security break-ins (which I don't care about as I let all my
users know the root password anyway so if they wanted to, they
have a much easier way to do damage, not that anyone ever has).

I won't claim it's pretty (it grew over a long time...), but I'm
happy to make the source available if there's any interest.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Consultant Software Engineer

Quotas on Solaris vs quotas on Linux

Post by John Riddoc » Tue, 26 May 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

> Quotas on a linux disk are reported in blocks, on a Solaris system in Kb; I'd
> like to avoid confusion for users by using the same units throughout, but the
> quota and rquotad programs on each system don't allow me to override the units.

> Is Solaris correct, or is Linux?

> Is there a way to fix this?

> (Also: Linux has the ability to place quotas on groups, not just users; Solaris
> doesn't - this suggests the best solution might be to write my own quota
> command for Solaris, unless there is something already available).

Don't reinvent the wheel.  Many linux distributions include source
(including rquotad etc); get one of these and recompile under Solaris
(might be worthwhile compiling under linux to have the same version on
both).

--

Room C6, School of Computer and Mathematical Science
Robert Gordon University, Aberdeen, AB25 1HG

1. Quotas : Format of quota.users & quota.groups ?

Hi,

I am running Linux-FT with kernel 1.2.13 and quota patches. I would like
to enable quotas in order to control memory usage by apps (I'm trying to
debug an app that keeps grabbing all system memory, preventing me from
typing kill).

In order to enable quotas, files called quota.users and quota.groups
need to be present in the root directory. The 'edquota'
program is supposed to be used to set these up, but it simply invokes vi,
expecting the user to know the file format. The man pages say that
the file format is 'inscrutable', but don't actually describe it anywhere!

Anyone know the correct format ?

Thanks in advance,

Steve

| Steve Mottram                                                             |
|                                                                           |
| University Department of Anaesthesia  |    Internal Phone : LRI 5694      |
| Leicester Royal Infirmary             |    Phone  :  +44 (0)116 258 5291  |
| Leicester LE1 5WW                     |    Fax    :  +44 (0)116 285 4487  |

| Witty bit deleted due to budget cuts.                                     |

2. "access" < 0 && "errno" == 0 ??

3. file format of 'quotas' (Solaris disk quota system)?

4. samba and autofs

5. user quotas and printer usage quotas on NT domain

6. Problem Re-installing/compiling

7. quota: format of quota.user

8. Qualcuno mi aiuti: il mio PC odia Linux

9. QUOTA - Crashes whenever someone goes over quota

10. quota deadlocks and large quota.*-files

11. /usr/sbin/quota SLOW without quotas

12. RH71: Confused Quotas - quotaon looking for quota.user, edquota looking for aquota.user

13. How to set quota and mail quota