SOLARIS 2.6

Post by wall » Fri, 07 Jul 2000 04:00:00

How do i configure my network card ?
Using 'sys-unconfig' i don't get option to configure the network card.
How do i check for the interface ?

SOLARIS 2.6

Post by Martin Hepwort » Sat, 08 Jul 2000 04:00:00

> How do i configure my network card ?
> Using 'sys-unconfig' i don't get option to configure the network card.
> How do i check for the interface ?

> --

Wally

put the host name/ipaddress in /etc/hosts

put the host in /etc/host.hme0 (hme0 only exists new SUNs, le0 for older
suns, or maybe something different is its not an ethernet).

reboot. you may also have to adjust the broadcast,netmask etc if its
non-standard).

Martin

SOLARIS 2.6

Post by Jamie Lewi » Sat, 08 Jul 2000 04:00:00

ifconfig -a
This will show you all interfaces that are present.
To configure them do the following.

Make an /etc/hostname.hme0, and add the name of the host into the file.
vi /etc/darkstar1.hme0   i (insert) darkstar    :wq!

Edit your /etc/hosts and add your enrty in there.
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx    darkstar

ifconfig up your interface.

Jamie Lewis

Technical Consultant

Quote:> How do i configure my network card ?
> Using 'sys-unconfig' i don't get option to configure the network card.
> How do i check for the interface ?

> --

SOLARIS 2.6

Post by Matt Simmon » Sun, 09 Jul 2000 04:00:00

    w> How do i configure my network card ?  Using 'sys-unconfig' i
    w> don't get option to configure the network card.
You should.  The only case where sysid won't ask your for your IP
address and such is if you did a netinstall of this machine on the
current subnet, and still have it set up as a netinstall server[1].

Unless, of course, you ran into my sys-unconfig bug.  In this case,
you get a core out of sysidnet as the system is coming back up, and it
ends up identified as `unknown'.  There is a patch for this problem
(109221-01 for SPARC, 109222-01 for Intel).  Said patch is included in
Update 1.

Matt

Footnotes:
[1]   That is, if the machine gets an answer to a RARP request for one
      of the interfaces, it will attempt to auto-configure itself.

--

  The most important thing in a programming language is the name.  A language
  will not succeed without a good name.  I have recently invented a very good

SOLARIS 2.6

Post by Sietse Viss » Mon, 10 Jul 2000 04:00:00

On Fri, 07 Jul 2000 08:37:17 +0100,

>> How do i configure my network card ?
>> Using 'sys-unconfig' i don't get option to configure the network card.
>> How do i check for the interface ?

>> --

>Wally

>put the host name/ipaddress in /etc/hosts

>put the host in /etc/host.hme0 (hme0 only exists new SUNs, le0 for older

The file is /etc/hostname.hme0 or /etc/hostname.le0
                     ~~~~                  ~~~~

Quote:>suns, or maybe something different is its not an ethernet).

>reboot. you may also have to adjust the broadcast,netmask etc if its
>non-standard).

>Martin

Sietse
--
Sietse Visser
Looking for a web-based graphical performance tool?

SOLARIS 2.6

Post by Sietse Viss » Mon, 10 Jul 2000 04:00:00

>ifconfig -a
>This will show you all interfaces that are present.
>To configure them do the following.

>Make an /etc/hostname.hme0, and add the name of the host into the file.
>vi /etc/darkstar1.hme0   i (insert) darkstar    :wq!

vi /etc/hostname.hme0
        ~~~~~~~~

Quote:

>Edit your /etc/hosts and add your enrty in there.
>xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx    darkstar

>ifconfig up your interface.

You may want to reboot - just upping does not work.

>Jamie Lewis

>Technical Consultant

>> How do i configure my network card ?
>> Using 'sys-unconfig' i don't get option to configure the network card.
>> How do i check for the interface ?

>> --

Sietse
--
Sietse Visser
Looking for a web-based graphical performance tool?
                                              _____
CPU |              ________                  /
I/O |      ___    /        \____       _____|
mem | \___/  |___/              \_____|
... +----------------------------------------------
         http://www.sysman.nl/perfgraph

SOLARIS 2.6

Post by Lon Stowe » Tue, 11 Jul 2000 04:00:00

If the interface and driver are present, you can always
configure the interface on a live system without a reboot:

  Do an ifconfig [ifname, e.g. hme0] plumb

  Then you can do an ifconfig address netmask, etc. etc.

Of course if you want the machine to configure the interface
automatically at boot and start network services properly,
it is safest to do a sys-unconfig and start over.

The man page for sys-unconfig does have a complete list
of all the files it uses, which can be changed manually
if you know the format and what each is used for.

1. can't read Solaris 2.6 x86 hard disk on Solaris 2.6 Ultra-1 ?!?

I was going to use this hard drive to move large files from my
Ultra to my Pentium PC for CD-R backup, but upon "boot -r" on
the Ultra I saw an error about "invalid geometry" on sd3, the
drive I had formatted on my PC to be ufs.  And now of course
I can't even "prtvtoc" this disk ("Unable to read Disk geometry"),
so mounting it is seemingly out of the question.

What's the problem?  Was I naive to assume the a ufs on a Solaris
system would be the same regardless of CPU type?  I really don't
want to use Ethernet to transmit potentially gigabytes of data
on a regular basis :-(...

Please reply via email (and post here, of course), as I don't
get a chance to keep up with the newsgroup as regularly as I
would wish.  Thanks.

Mark J. Kaufman             Sun Microsystems, San Diego

2. v44i052: va.h - Dealing with variable argument definitions, Part01/01

3. Upgrade from Solaris 2.6 with Volume Manager 2.6 to Solaris 8 with Volume Manager 3.2

4. Where's my Make command????????Help!

5. 2.5.1 -> 2.6 & DiskSuite [Was: Solaris 2.6 & Solstice DiskSuite 4.0]

6. Internet setup kills desktop login screen

7. where to find WU-FTPD 2.6 for sparc-solaris 2.6 (binary)?

8. suse forwarding

9. Veritas 2.6 on Solaris 2.6 question. .

10. SunOS 5.6 vs Solaris 2.6 vs Solaris 7 vs Solaris 8

11. FS: SOLARIS 7 SERVER, SOLARIS EASY ACCESS 2.0, SOLARIS 2.6 KIT

12. Sparc10 solaris 2.5 to Sparc20 solaris 2.6 migration question

13. Porting from Solaris 2.5.1 to Solaris 2.6