What is the best partition type for OS X, Win2k, Sparc (solaris) and Linux?

What is the best partition type for OS X, Win2k, Sparc (solaris) and Linux?

Post by Erik Kleinfeld » Fri, 18 Jun 2004 04:32:09

I have an external case with USB 2.0 and Firewire connections on it.
I installed a 200GB ATA drive in it.  My plan is to use this disk as a
method of moving my personal files wherever I go.  Work, Home, buddies
house, etc.

I assume that I will be making smaller partitions such as 3 62GB
partitions of 4 46.5 (assuming 186GB of usable partition space).

Anyone have any insight or experience with this?  I searched many
newsgroups but couldn't find any articles attmpted to use a portable
disk across the OSs I mentioned.

Are fat32 partitions the best way to go?
Will all partitions be recognized in each OS?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-Erik

Post by Dave Uhrin » Fri, 18 Jun 2004 04:56:35

> MacOS require either HFS+ (perferred) or UFS.  Can't boot from
> FATanything.

But it also seems to support MSDOS, as do all the other OSs mentioned by
the OP.

http://www.kernelthread.com/mac/osx/arch_fs.html

Post by Dave Uhrin » Fri, 18 Jun 2004 06:55:13

> I was aware that MacOS X could read MSDOS disks (that link is great,
> thanks), but I'm pretty sure that the Macintosh OpenFirmware won't boot
> from MSDOS formatted partitions.

I think that the OP wants to use the drive as a file store and has no
intention of booting from it.  It does appear that FAT32 would be the best
filesystem for his purpose, capable of read/write access by all of his
OSs, unless MSFT files a patent violation lawsuit against him.

Quote:> Have you tried it and does it work (that was my point)?

Sorry, no.  I have never used any Apple hardware.

Post by Erik Kleinfeld » Fri, 18 Jun 2004 11:58:10

> > I was aware that MacOS X could read MSDOS disks (that link is great,
> > thanks), but I'm pretty sure that the Macintosh OpenFirmware won't boot
> > from MSDOS formatted partitions.

> I think that the OP wants to use the drive as a file store and has no
> intention of booting from it.  It does appear that FAT32 would be the best
> filesystem for his purpose, capable of read/write access by all of his
> OSs, unless MSFT files a patent violation lawsuit against him.

Yes, this is primarily a storage device to be moved around.  Booting
from the device will not be a purpose for the device on any system.
The key here is transport of personal files and a poor mans personal
backup solution for data across all systems mentioned.  I believe that
FAT32 is best.

Quote:> > Have you tried it and does it work (that was my point)?

> Sorry, no.  I have never used any Apple hardware.

I'm pretty sure I'm safe with using the disk via USB or Firewire on
the Mac, and I know it will work with Linux and win2k, I think my last
battle is the Solaris (sparc) box.  If anyone out there has mounted
multiple FAT32 partitions from a single device in Solaris (or a single
FAT32 partition since I doubt I'll need more than a few GB, not all
the partitions), then my dilemma is ended.

I guess I could just ftp the files from the sparc to the drive when it
connected to the PC or linux box, but that just feels wrong. :-)

Thanks,
-Erik

What is the best partition type for OS X, Win2k, Sparc (solaris) and Linux?

Post by SchroedingerzK » Fri, 18 Jun 2004 14:14:38

Quote:>Are fat32 partitions the best way to go?
>Will all partitions be recognized in each OS?

Most OS tinkerers seem to use FAT32 for file sharing partitions or drives.

FreeBSD can mount all sorts of partitions, but I'm not sure what the MacOS
kernel can and can't mount.

--
Michael

What is the best partition type for OS X, Win2k, Sparc (solaris) and Linux?

Post by Joerg Schilli » Fri, 18 Jun 2004 18:36:57

Quote:>MacOS require either HFS+ (perferred) or UFS.  Can't boot from
>FATanything.

MaxOS X should better be run on UFS. HFS creates lot's of headaches
because it is not POSIX compliant.

--

Post by Bruc » Sat, 19 Jun 2004 05:54:27

>> MacOS require either HFS+ (perferred) or UFS.  Can't boot from
>> FATanything.

> MaxOS X should better be run on UFS. HFS creates lot's of headaches
> because it is not POSIX compliant.

I disagree.
It's true that HFS+ is not POSIX compliant but all the important features
such as journaling, disk mirroring, high performance design is only
available for HFS+. UFS is just a place holder for full unix if customers
demand for it.

-Bruce

What is the best partition type for OS X, Win2k, Sparc (solaris) and Linux?

Post by Bruc » Sat, 19 Jun 2004 05:59:53

On 6/17/04 12:01 PM, in article

>>> MacOS require either HFS+ (perferred) or UFS.  Can't boot from
>>> FATanything.

>> MaxOS X should better be run on UFS. HFS creates lot's of headaches
>> because it is not POSIX compliant.

> Actually, the headaches come from UFS more than HFS+.  The only major
> problem is that HFS+ is case insensitive, so some help files get munged.

OS X 10.3 supports case insensitive HFS+ just format with the right option
selected.

Disk Utility Tool       ?2002-2003, Apple Computer, Inc.
Usage:  diskutil eraseDisk [format] newName <OS9Drivers>
        [Mount Point|Disk Identifier|Device Node]
Completely erase an existing disk.  All volumes on this disk will be
destroyed.
Ownership of the affected disk is required.
Format is the specific filesystem name you want to erase it as. (HFS+, etc.)
You cannot erase the boot disk.
Example: diskutil eraseDisk "Case-sensitive HFS+" fs1  disk3
Valid filesystems: "Journaled HFS+" "HFS+" "Case-sensitive HFS+" "HFS"
"MS-DOS" "UFS"

-Bruce

Post by UNIX admi » Tue, 22 Jun 2004 20:33:46

Quote:> MacOS require either HFS+ (perferred) or UFS.  Can't boot from
> FATanything.

Right, but the way I understood it, the OP is just looking to haul files
around -- and as far as I know, OS X will mount FAT32 FileSystems. It may
even be able to write to them, but of the latter I'm not certain.
Solaris should be able to mount a FAT32 "PCFS" FileSystem R/W without a
problem.

Now when you wrote UFS, does that mean that OS X can mount/R/W Solaris UFS
FileSystems out of the box? I didn't know that.

Post by Tony Walto » Wed, 23 Jun 2004 20:46:33

>>MacOS require either HFS+ (perferred) or UFS.  Can't boot from
>>FATanything.

> Right, but the way I understood it, the OP is just looking to haul files
> around -- and as far as I know, OS X will mount FAT32 FileSystems. It may
> even be able to write to them, but of the latter I'm not certain.

It does.

Quote:> Solaris should be able to mount a FAT32 "PCFS" FileSystem R/W without a
> problem.

> Now when you wrote UFS, does that mean that OS X can mount/R/W Solaris UFS
> FileSystems out of the box? I didn't know that.

I should doubt that very much.

--
Tony

1. win2k + linux: how to boot from win2k os loader

I successfully installed redhat 7.0 on a system which had win2k. I didn't
get the option of choosing where to install LILO. The installation was ok
and I can now dual boot from LILO. I want to restore control to the WIN2k
OS loader. How do I do that? I am afraid that if I just unistall LILO I
will make the whole system unbootable.

2. Config file for kernel

3. fbsd + linux + win2k: what's the best filesystem for a shared slice/partition

4. Cannot access Red Hat 7.2 from the Internet

5. which partition manager is best, trying to install LINUX on my installed Win2K PC

6. /bin/login corrupted. HELP !!!

7. comp.os.linux, comp.os.linux.misc, comp.os.linux.security, comp.os.linux.networking

8. run CGI apps as root

9. Best way to partition/installf Linux as a 2nd OS?

10. boot with 2 OS? Win2K and Solaris 8

11. "who am i" on x86 vs Sparc Solaris 2.4

12. Vmware: Linux on Win2K or Win2K on Linux?

13. alt.os.linux, comp.os.linux.hardware, comp.os.linux.misc