booting from different hds

Post by Michael Storc » Sat, 29 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Hi out there,
i have a sparc ultra 5  360 MHz, 64 MB Ram, a pci and ide
system, one cdrom, 4,5 GB IDE HD and floppy .
I got a ncr pci scsi controller, put it into the sparc and
did the necessary reboot with r for reconfiguration.
A scsi  disk tower with two disks 4,5 GB each and one
scsi CDrom is hooked up externally.
There are /dev and /devices entries for these disks and
i can mount one to /mnt
I have not been able to boot from one of the scsi disks
though ( one contains a solaris 7 install that was running
fine on another machine and one has RedHat linux 6.0)
I tried all combinations from the boot prompt like

and always got
"boot device not accessible"
Linux booted from cdrom and installed to the scsi disk id5
but hang after the reboot.
Any help to get the baby to boot from the scsi disks ?
Mike

1. Q: Boot from different HD? Possible?

Hi, Experts
I want to install Linux on my machine and keep the DOS and Windows as
well because my wife need them. I want to buy a new HD so that I have
enough space to deal with the software. My question is:

  IS IT POSSIBLE TO BOOT DOS FROM HD1 AND LINUX FROM HD2 BY USING LILO?

Thanks in advance.

LC

2. S.u.S.e and metroX

3. Dual boot on different HDS

4. Help! Lost ld-linux.so library

5. Boot from different HD

6. encrypted Talker?

7. lilo config for dual hd-boot hd->ramdisk-boot?

8. compiling FORTRAN code on linux

9. Problem mounting SCSI HD in a different computer w/ different Adaptec Controller

10. install on different system (2nd HD->1st HD)

11. LILO boot of 2 different Linux partitions different kernels

12. Q: Install LILO on 2nd HD, remove 1st hd, boot from 2nd?

13. How to transfer root and boot from scsi hd to ide hd