SPARCbook FAQ 23 november 1998

Post by Hugo van der Kooi » Tue, 24 Nov 1998 04:00:00

  SparcBook F.A.Q.
  Hugo van der Kooij

  This FAQ is dedicated to the SparcBook machines and all mysteries sur-
  rounding them.  It is posted to linux.redhat.sparc, comp.unix.solaris
  and comp.sys.sun.hardware on an irregular basis.  It is online on
  http://www.caiw.nl/~hvdkooij/SparcBook-FAQ.html

  Table of Contents

  1. Where is that STOP button hidden?

  2. What are the specs of the SparcBook 3 series?

  3. What memory does the SparcBook 3 use?

  4. What OS does the SparcBook 3 run and do I need to purchase from Tadpole?

  5. What is the architecture of the Sparcbook3?

  6. What kind of connectivity does the Sparcbook3 have?

  7. What about PCMCIA (PCcard) cards for the Sparcbook3?

  8. Can I use external disk and cd-roms with my Sparcbook3?

  9. What is the maximum speed on the serial interface?

  10. Does the type 4 keyboard work with the SparcBook?

  11. What about patches with Solaris 2.6?

  12. Any word on Solaris 7?

  13. Does it run Linux?

  14. Why isn't my question in the FAQ?

  15. Contributers

  1.  Where is that STOP button hidden?

  You might want to note these special keys in the SparcBook:

  o  PAUSE A acts like STOP A (or L1 A for the real diehards ;-)

  o  PAUSE R will reboot the machine.

  o  PAUSE O will act as Power-Off.

  2.  What are the specs of the SparcBook 3 series?

  An extensive summary is listed on: http://www.rave.net/t-s3_tech.html.

  3.  What memory does the SparcBook 3 use?

  A matched pair of low profile 60ns 72pin parity SIMMs.  You can by
  these at any good computer store (they are not Sun proprietary).  They
  are located under the panel in the battery compartment and are user
  replaceable.

  4.  What OS does the SparcBook 3 run and do I need to purchase from
  Tadpole?

  The SparcBook 3 will run Sunos 4.1.3-u1 and any Solaris version up to
  Solaris 2.6!

  The Tadpole version does have some add-on's to pause and resume the
  SparcBook, the Fax program or the PCMCIA drivers but rumour has it
  that legal owners of Solaris 2.6 can get a copy per FTP.

  One can download the additional packages required to let Solaris 2.6
  run on your sparc book from:
  ftp://ftp.tadpole.com/pub/sbu/S3-patches/Solaris_2.6/

  The file that contains all of them is:
  ftp://ftp.tadpole.com/pub/sbu/S3-patches/Solaris_2.6/TTI_Solaris_2.6_...

  How ever this does not include the NCE graphical utilities. These are
  not around at present times but may be available in the future.
  (Unlikely for Solaris 2.6 now that Solaris 7 is out.)

  5.  What is the architecture of the Sparcbook3?

  It's a sun4m.

  6.  What kind of connectivity does the Sparcbook3 have?

  14.4 fax/modem builtin (not upgradable), ISDN (needs a NT1 to work)
  and 10mbps ethernet (which needs a special cable to go to a AUI
  interface on the 3GX).

  7.  What about PCMCIA (PCcard) cards for the Sparcbook3?

  It can take 2 type I/II or 1 type III cards.  Just about any modem
  card will work (so you can get your 56K connection :).  But watch out
  with hard disk, some early (maybe still) hard disk cards had
  incompatable firmware.  (A Western Digital 40M didn't work, but the
  Maxtor 170M and Eiger 340M did).

  In order to work well with disks you must load the T030004-02 patch.

  8.  Can I use external disk and cd-roms with my Sparcbook3?

  Yes, the Sparcbook3 uses standard (Fast-)SCSI (II) devices.  The
  interface does provide power to special (read: Tadpole) external
  devices but standard SCSI devices should work perfectly.

  9.  What is the maximum speed on the serial interface?

  38,400 is the maximum supported.  There might be a kernel hack to get
  it to do a little faster, but the implementation of hardware flow
  control on Sun and Tadpole serial ports is software dependant, so very
  limited.

  10.  Does the type 4 keyboard work with the SparcBook?

  It does!  Any type 4 or type 5 keyboard should work.

  11.  What about patches with Solaris 2.6?

  The following list of patches (with URL) should help you out.

  From ftp://sunsolve.sun.com/pub/patches/

  o  Solaris 2.6 (Sparc) Recommended patches (~ 19MB)

  From: ftp://ftp.tadpole.com/pub/sbu/S3-patches/Solaris_2.6/

  o  T030000-01 Fixed 16 bit X server problem (bus error)

  o  T030001-01 System may hang while PCMCIA device is present

  o  T030002-02 Enhanced generic power management features

  o  T030003-01 Changing PCMCIA cards does not work well

  o  T030004-02 PCMCIA ata disk

  o  T030005-01 Formating PCMCIA disks results in core dumps

  o  T030006-01 Disks won't keep spundown very long

  o  T030007-01 'Spurious Interrupt' messages on console

  o  T030008-01 nitloc fails when TZ contains a / (slash)

  o  T030009-01 US Robotics Modems do not work in SPARCbooks

  12.  Any word on Solaris 7?

  It seems that Solaris 7 does run on the unit but the tadpole specific
  items are not there.

  At present it is unknow wether they will be there in the future.
  Should you happen to know more. please, please let me know.

  13.  Does it run Linux?

  It seems that all essentials are covered but nobody did seem to have
  the guts to try it.

  Yours truly may do so very soon if he can spare the time but don't
  hold your breath.

  14.  Why isn't my question in the FAQ?

  Mainly because I just started the FAQ.

  But If you want to contribute to the FAQ feel free to send a clear
  question and answer to me. I just might put it into the next edition
  provided I have time for it.

  Please don't start sending me questions without answers. I am not a
  guru (by far) and just hope this FAQ may educate others and not just
  me.

  15.  Contributers

  o  Andre (no further info recorded)

        | 3155 VJ  Maasland      | (De man met de rode hoed)    |
                (Mitch Radcliffe)

SPARCbook FAQ 23 november 1998

Post by Hugo van der Kooi » Tue, 24 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> Hugo,

> Have you thought about adding the RDI BriteLite and PowerLites into your FAQ?

No. I just started the FAQ because I had some problems finding the
proper information. I gathered some specific information I needed and
created the FAQ to be usefull to other people as well. It is not
intended to be restricted to the SPARCbook 3

Quote:> Especially since Tadpole and RDI have merged to form one company. I can
> summurize items on the PowerLite 50 (which I have).

If you can send them in a simple format. (single line for the question;
single empty line and then paragrahps kept together; between questions
you should put two lines so I can convert them easily into the FAQ.)

(I guess SPARC notebook FAQ will be a better name ;-)

Hugo.

        | 3155 VJ  Maasland      | (De man met de rode hoed)    |
    "Computers let you make more mistakes faster than any other
invention in
      human history, with the possible exception of handguns and
tequila."
                (Mitch Radcliffe)

1. Input - Make sure input_dev is initialized where needed [23/23]

-

2. A plan for ending Micro$oft's reign

3. Pat Beirne, Chief Engineer of Corel Computer, to address LXNY Wednesday, 18 November 1998

4. POST fails , Limit POST needs 'require' ?

5. () Pointer to Rec.Games.Computer.Doom FAQ (96/04/23)

6. 2.5.72: kernel BUG at fs/xfs/pagebuf/page_buf.c:1288

7. COLA FAQ 5 of 7 23-Nov-2002

8. want old LINUX for tinkering

9. COLA FAQ 7 of 7 23-Nov-2002

10. COLA FAQ 3 of 7 23-Nov-2002

11. COLA FAQ 6 of 7 23-Nov-2002

12. Unauthorized COLA FAQ 1/5 23-Jun-2002

13. Unauthorized COLA FAQ 3/5 23-Jun-2002