Anyone hear about any Solaris LAE or ZFS updates?

Anyone hear about any Solaris LAE or ZFS updates?

Post by Scott Man » Fri, 29 Jul 2005 12:09:12

Has anyone heard anything new on Solaris LAE or ZFS? - Back in the NC05-
Q2 executive chat a couple months ago Sun said LAE would be available as
a technology preview by the end of May but I haven't heard anything yet
but maybe I'm not looking in the right places.

Of course I would also like to start testing ZFS - Both of these
technologies would be interesting to try when they become available
through a Technology Preview.

Thx

Scott

Post by Rainer Duffne » Fri, 29 Jul 2005 18:19:29

>>Has anyone heard anything new on Solaris LAE or ZFS? - Back in the NC05-
>>Q2 executive chat a couple months ago Sun said LAE would be available as
>>a technology preview by the end of May but I haven't heard anything yet
>>but maybe I'm not looking in the right places.

>>Of course I would also like to start testing ZFS - Both of these
>>technologies would be interesting to try when they become available
>>through a Technology Preview.

>>Thx

>>Scott

> Well, if someone did hear about it, chances are it was under NDA.  Do
> you seriously think they'd talk about it here in a public forum?  Why
> not contact that Executive you chatted with ;) ?

> I'm sure such things are coming "real soon now".  It's like a contractor
> promising when the bathroom remodel will be finished.  Unless you paid
> fixed price with a completion penalty clause, chances are the completion
> date will slip.

I read something about "2006".
Here:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/05/13/sun_solaris10_delays/

I think 2006 will be a very long year for some of us ;-)

cheers,
Rainer

Post by Drazen Kaca » Fri, 29 Jul 2005 19:17:49

>  Has anyone heard anything new on Solaris LAE or ZFS?

What is LAE?

--
 .-.   .-.    Yes, I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely
(_  \ /  _)   ceremonial.

Post by Frank Cusac » Fri, 29 Jul 2005 19:52:31

>>  Has anyone heard anything new on Solaris LAE or ZFS?

> What is LAE?

Janus.  The marketing folks do keep busy, you know.

-frank

Post by Drazen Kaca » Fri, 29 Jul 2005 20:57:46

> > What is LAE?

>  Janus.  The marketing folks do keep busy, you know.

I'm soooo behind the times. Now, what's LAE supposed to mean? Linux
Already Exists? Leverage Another Environment? Lose All Expectations?

BTW, I suspect that Solaris would get certain Linuxish kernel features
which would be accessible for Solaris applications as well. I've already
seen TCP_CORK in one of the "what's new" lists.

So if somebody could put a list in a blog somewhere, I'd be... um...
happy to Love All Enhancements. :-)

--

Post by Martin Pau » Fri, 29 Jul 2005 22:13:41

> I'm soooo behind the times. Now, what's LAE supposed to mean? Linux
> Already Exists? Leverage Another Environment? Lose All Expectations?

I'd guess Linux Application Environment. But who knows, I like yours
about losing expectations better :)

mp.
--
Systems Administrator | Institute of Scientific Computing | Univ. of Vienna

Anyone hear about any Solaris LAE or ZFS updates?

Post by John D Groenve » Fri, 29 Jul 2005 23:10:33

Quote:>Has anyone heard anything new on Solaris LAE or ZFS? - Back in the NC05-

As of June according to Stephen Shankland's reporting, Janus and ZFS
have been delayed until 2006.
<URL:http://news.com.com/2100-7344_3-5748343.html>
| Janus had been expected in 2005, but it was delayed until 2006 along
| with new storage software called ZFS, or Zettabyte File System.

Not yet read if/when they will be released as part of the Software Express
for Solaris EA program.

John