Help: Strange Tcp/Ip/Sun Ultra problem

Post by Kenneth Scott Beth » Sun, 03 Aug 1997 04:00:00

We have several (250 to 300) Sun Sparcs on our network, mostly Sparc 5, 10
and 20 systems.  We are slowly moving into Ultra based systems.  I have
noticed something VERY strange with the ultra's we have thus far deployed.

#1, collisions..  We get many thousands of network collisions when we
transfer large amounts of data from the box (http, ftp, and nfs) reported
on the le0 ethernet port.  Transfering files to the box is no problem,
might come up with one or two collisions total, no errors, and very fast.

#2, Transfer speeds are fairly normal when one or two people are hitting
the box, but get 5 or 6 large ftp transfer going at once and the ultra
drops to pushing files at 30 and 40 kbps (Very slow)

#3, http transfers just stop half way, and never finish on small or large
documents.

Our network is very segmented, with several 10bt and 100bt switches. I
have taken the ultra's off line, and set up a simple two or three computer
network using a hub and it does NOT display the same problem at all.

Has anyone else run into this problem?  Can Sun Ultra's work on large
networks??  Seems very odd that this problem is not present on any other
Sparcs on the net running the same exact version of Solaris.

The Hardware I am refering to are Ultra 1/140 and Ultra 1/170 based
systems.  All have at least 128M (most 256M) of ram, dual 2.1 or 4.3 gig
sun HD's, and all are set up server config, Solaris 2.5.1 with
2.5.1_Recommended patch clusters.

I have tried replacing hardware, fresh unpatched 2.5.1, using FSBE's,
using Fast Etherenet (hme)  In fact the HME cards display the exact same
problem, only they send out stuff MUCH slower than the built in le0. (And
yes they receive stuff much faster than the le0 {shrug}).

This problem seems directly related to TCP/IP because  spray'ing the
machines show that they get and send out a lot of udp traffic and dont
hiccup at all.

Open to any and all suggestions

--
Sun/Networking/ And ISP Stuff                  http://www.ezy.net/gstek
GSTek-Ezy.net Corporation       Sun Computers and Internet Access Sold Here!

Help: Strange Tcp/Ip/Sun Ultra problem

Post by Joe Daghe » Tue, 05 Aug 1997 04:00:00

comments in-line ...

Quote:> We have several (250 to 300) Sun Sparcs on our network, mostly Sparc 5, 10
> and 20 systems.  We are slowly moving into Ultra based systems.  I have
> noticed something VERY strange with the ultra's we have thus far deployed.

> #1, collisions..  We get many thousands of network collisions when we
> transfer large amounts of data from the box (http, ftp, and nfs) reported
> on the le0 ethernet port.  Transfering files to the box is no problem,
> might come up with one or two collisions total, no errors, and very fast.

> #2, Transfer speeds are fairly normal when one or two people are hitting
> the box, but get 5 or 6 large ftp transfer going at once and the ultra
> drops to pushing files at 30 and 40 kbps (Very slow)

> #3, http transfers just stop half way, and never finish on small or large
> documents.

> Our network is very segmented, with several 10bt and 100bt switches. I
> have taken the ultra's off line, and set up a simple two or three computer
> network using a hub and it does NOT display the same problem at all.

The problem could be related to your switches dropping packets
(non-blocking !) and TCP retransmitting and slow-starting. Does your
netstat -s show a lot of retransmits ?

Moving your network to a hub (repeater) will eliminate the possibility
of packets being dropped in the network since a repeater does not buffer
packets, and routers/bridges/switches do and will generally drop packets when
out of buffer space.

Quote:> Has anyone else run into this problem?  Can Sun Ultra's work on large
> networks??  Seems very odd that this problem is not present on any other
> Sparcs on the net running the same exact version of Solaris.

> The Hardware I am refering to are Ultra 1/140 and Ultra 1/170 based
> systems.  All have at least 128M (most 256M) of ram, dual 2.1 or 4.3 gig
> sun HD's, and all are set up server config, Solaris 2.5.1 with
> 2.5.1_Recommended patch clusters.

> I have tried replacing hardware, fresh unpatched 2.5.1, using FSBE's,
> using Fast Etherenet (hme)  In fact the HME cards display the exact same
> problem, only they send out stuff MUCH slower than the built in le0. (And
> yes they receive stuff much faster than the le0 {shrug}).

> This problem seems directly related to TCP/IP because  spray'ing the
> machines show that they get and send out a lot of udp traffic and dont
> hiccup at all.

What do you mean by hiccup ? do the Ultras receive all of the udp spray
packets sent ? you might want to try to test with ttcp instead of spray.

> Open to any and all suggestions

> --
> Sun/Networking/ And ISP Stuff                     http://www.ezy.net/gstek
> GSTek-Ezy.net Corporation       Sun Computers and Internet Access Sold Here!

Joe Dagher
Allied-Signal Tech. Services

1. SUNPCi problem in tcp/ip to host Ultra 5

I have noticed recently that the my SUNPCi card running
Win 95 refuses to talk to it's host Ultra 5 via telnet, ftp,
or ping.

I assume that this is a routing problem, but  I have diddled
route defaults on both sides with no change.

Both the Ultra 5 and the SUNPCi will talk to any other host
fine.

Help?

--
Clarence Wilkerson      \ HomePage:     http://www.math.purdue.edu/~wilker

Dept. of Mathematics      \ Messages:   (765) 494-1903, FAX 494-0548
Purdue University,         \
W. Lafayette, IN 47907-1395 \

2. kernel 1.1.82 won't compile

3. strange TCP/IP connection problem with PPP in 2.1.5

4. Xwindows Screen modes

5. Strange TCP/IP problem

6. Setting up AMD on a heterogeneous network

7. Locale Configuration

8. TCP/IP Problem (strange)

9. strange problem with tcp/ip

10. Strange tcp/ip transfer problem