libXpm.so.4.7: can't open file: errno=2

Post by A. Karl Hell » Sat, 24 Aug 1996 04:00:00

  How do I force a binary to "KNOW" where its libraries are.
Some programs which run before I have my shell up need to know...such
as fvwm2 and xpmroot.

  ld.so.1: xpmroot: fatal: libXpm.so.4.7: can't open file: errno=2

I think its a compiler option, but I'm not sure.  Usually people just
stick the library in the LD path.

    "Micro$oft: THE pothole on the information super highway."
                "Micro$oft: DUI on the Internet."
(original comment by Brad Smith, signature creation by Karl Heller)

?
?  ld.so.1: xpmroot: fatal: libXpm.so.4.7: can't open file: errno=2
?
?I think its a compiler option, but I'm not sure.  Usually people just
?stick the library in the LD path.

Put a -R onto the compile line.  See the ld(1) man page.

Whatever you do, don't use LD_LIBRARY_PATH - it is evil!

Davin.
--

               Fax:       (716) 645-3464
               WWW:       http://www.cs.buffalo.edu/~milun/

libXpm.so.4.7: can't open file: errno=2

Post by Clarence Wilkers » Sun, 25 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Using SunPro C 4.0, I think the "-r" option allows one to specify
a library load path that will override the environment variable "LD_...".
ClarenceWilkerson

Post by Chris O'Reg » Wed, 28 Aug 1996 04:00:00

AH>  How do I force a binary to "KNOW" where its libraries are.
AH>Some programs which run before I have my shell up need to know...such
AH>as fvwm2 and xpmroot.

AH>  ld.so.1: xpmroot: fatal: libXpm.so.4.7: can't open file: errno=2

AH>I think its a compiler option, but I'm not sure.  Usually people just
AH>stick the library in the LD path.

DM>Put a -R onto the compile line.  See the ld(1) man page.

   I have heard some people say that using -R is a *bad* thing.  Is there an
alternative?

DM>Whatever you do, don't use LD_LIBRARY_PATH - it is evil!

   Yes, I dislike LD_LIBRARY_PATH with a passion.

                   Concordia University, Montreal, Canada
                http://www.ECE.Concordia.CA/~chris/addr.html

Post by Chris O'Reg » Thu, 29 Aug 1996 04:00:00

CO>   I have heard some people say that using -R is a *bad* thing.  Is there
CO>an alternative?

CD>No, -R is a *good* thing.  LD_LIBRARY_PATH is a bad thing.

   This is what I get for reading the Solaris FAQ (section 6.8) at midnight.
It appears that the -R option is a Bad Thing(tm) when compiling X11 R6
because it causes X to ignore LD_RUN_PATH and creates a security hole.
After carefully reading over the section a few times, I understand that it
does not imply that the -R option is a Bad Thing(tm) when compiling
applications that use the X libraries.

   Speaking of finding libraries, how can I force GNU configure scripts to
look in my non-standard "/local/lib" directory for libraries?  I had to use
the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable in order for ncftp's configure
script to find the readline library, and this trick did not work for my SGI
running IRIX 5.3 (thus the IRIX version of ncftp that I compiled is rather
ugly).

Post by Casper H.S. D » Thu, 29 Aug 1996 04:00:00

>DM>Put a -R onto the compile line.  See the ld(1) man page.
>   I have heard some people say that using -R is a *bad* thing.  Is there an
>alternative?

No, -R is a *good* thing.  LD_LIBRARY_PATH is a bad thing.

Casper
--
Casper Dik - Sun Microsystems - via my guest account at the University

Statements on Sun products included here are not gospel.
Unsolicited e-mail adverti*ts will be proofread for $250.

Post by Rachel Polansk » Sun, 01 Sep 1996 04:00:00

>>DM>Put a -R onto the compile line.  See the ld(1) man page.

>>   I have heard some people say that using -R is a *bad* thing.  Is there an
>>alternative?

> No, -R is a *good* thing.  LD_LIBRARY_PATH is a bad thing.

Hello,

since just updating my SPARC to Solaris 2.5.1, I am trying to
work out how to rid myself of the dependancies of LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

Because all the apps I have were compiled on 2.4, and many of them before I
purchased the machine, after installing 2.5.1, I still have an
LD_LIBRARY_PATH legacy.

Is there any way to rid myself of it, besides recompiling everything?

rachel

--
Rachel Polanskis                 Kingswood, Greater Western Sydney, Australia

                Witty comment revoked due to funding cuts

Post by Thoralf Pole » Mon, 02 Sep 1996 04:00:00

> CO>   I have heard some people say that using -R is a *bad* thing.  Is there
> CO>an alternative?

> CD>No, -R is a *good* thing.  LD_LIBRARY_PATH is a bad thing.

>    This is what I get for reading the Solaris FAQ (section 6.8) at midnight.

> Speaking of finding libraries, how can I force GNU configure scripts
> to look in my non-standard "/local/lib" directory for libraries?  I
> had to use the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable in order for
> ncftp's configure script to find the readline library, and this trick
> did not work for my SGI running IRIX 5.3 (thus the IRIX version of >ncftp that I compiled is rather ugly).

> --

If you don't install gcc in the standard /usr/local directory then you
have to set the following variables (installed in /opt/develop/gnu,
assuming you use C Shell):

setenv  GCC_EXEC_PREFIX  /opt/develop/gnu/lib/gcc-lib
setenv  C_INCLUDE_PATH  /opt/develop/gnu/lib/gcc-lib/include
setenv  CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH  /opt/develop/gnu/lib/g++-include
setenv  LIBRARY_PATH  /opt/develop/gnu/lib
setenv  INFOPATH  .:/opt/develop/gnu/info
setenv  MANPATH  "/opt/develop/gnu/man/:$MANPATH"

In case you just wanna use gcc (instead of your native compiler)
just set :

setenv  CC  gcc

I recommend you using the documentation "Using GNU CC" by Richard M.
Stallman. You will find the appropriate informations on pages 51/52.

Regards, thorALF.

Thoralf "The Real Alf(tm)" Polet              Master of Science

http://www.telematik.tu-freiberg.de/~polet

phone : +49 - (0) 37 31 - 39 - 28 46

fax   : +49 - (0) 25 61 - 91 3 71 - 48 25  (public fax service)

        "How often we recall with regret that Napoleon once shot a
         magazine editor and missed him and killed a publisher. But
         we remember with charity that his intensions were good."

                                                 Mark Twain

libXpm.so.4.7: can't open file: errno=2

Post by Casper H.S. Dik - Network Security Engine » Tue, 03 Sep 1996 04:00:00

>If you don't install gcc in the standard /usr/local directory then you
>have to set the following variables (installed in /opt/develop/gnu,
>assuming you use C Shell):
>setenv  GCC_EXEC_PREFIX  /opt/develop/gnu/lib/gcc-lib
>setenv  C_INCLUDE_PATH  /opt/develop/gnu/lib/gcc-lib/include
>setenv  CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH  /opt/develop/gnu/lib/g++-include
>setenv  LIBRARY_PATH  /opt/develop/gnu/lib
>setenv  INFOPATH  .:/opt/develop/gnu/info
>setenv  MANPATH  "/opt/develop/gnu/man/:$MANPATH"

And you dont' install gcc yourself from source ....

(If youinstall gcc yoruself, there's no need to set the GCC_EXEC_PREFIX,
C_INCLUDE_PATH, CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH or LIBRARY_PATH; you'll need to
set MANPATH and INFOPATH regardless.)

Casper
Unsolicited e-mail adverti*ts sent to my address will be proofread
for a $250 flat fee.

Post by Chris O'Reg » Wed, 04 Sep 1996 04:00:00

TP>If you don't install gcc in the standard /usr/local directory then you have
TP>to set the following variables (installed in /opt/develop/gnu, assuming you
TP>use C Shell):

TP>setenv  GCC_EXEC_PREFIX  /opt/develop/gnu/lib/gcc-lib
TP>setenv  C_INCLUDE_PATH  /opt/develop/gnu/lib/gcc-lib/include
TP>setenv  CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH  /opt/develop/gnu/lib/g++-include
TP>setenv  LIBRARY_PATH  /opt/develop/gnu/lib
TP>setenv  INFOPATH  .:/opt/develop/gnu/info
TP>setenv  MANPATH  "/opt/develop/gnu/man/:$MANPATH"

   I do not think this is necessary since I specified where to install the
distribution and where to look for include files when I ran the configure
script.  The compiler has no trouble locating its own files.  In fact, the
only trouble I had with gcc and configure scripts was when I tried to
compile ncftp 2.3.0.

Post by Georg Nikody » Fri, 06 Sep 1996 04:00:00

> since just updating my SPARC to Solaris 2.5.1, I am trying to
> work out how to rid myself of the dependancies of LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

> Because all the apps I have were compiled on 2.4, and many of them before I
> purchased the machine, after installing 2.5.1, I still have an
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH legacy.

> Is there any way to rid myself of it, besides recompiling everything?

Well, there is, but it involves writing a program that I haven't written.

Everything you could want to do to an ELF file, can be done with
libelf based code.  In this particular case:

        There's likely an RPATH entry in the .dynamic section (or
        you'll have to built a new section, adding one).  It
        references an entry in the .dynstr section which contains a
        colon separated list of paths.  It is this thing that you want
        to add (or hack).

The bad news is I don't have the time to create such a beastie.
Besides, the real answer is to write a more general purpose ELF
editor...

libXpm.so.4.7: can't open file: errno=2

Post by Davin Mil » Sat, 07 Sep 1996 04:00:00

?
?> LD_LIBRARY_PATH legacy.
?>
?> Is there any way to rid myself of it, besides recompiling everything?
?
?Well, there is, but it involves writing a program that I haven't written.
?
?Everything you could want to do to an ELF file, can be done with
?libelf based code.  In this particular case:
?
?      There's likely an RPATH entry in the .dynamic section (or
?      you'll have to built a new section, adding one).  It
?      references an entry in the .dynstr section which contains a
?      colon separated list of paths.  It is this thing that you want
?      to add (or hack).
?
?The bad news is I don't have the time to create such a beastie.
?Besides, the real answer is to write a more general purpose ELF
?editor...

I have written one that allows you to edit the RPATH (as long as you don't
make it any longer than the path included at compile time).

It's available as ftp://ftp.cs.buffalo.edu/users/milun/Solaris/setrpath.c

Davin.
--

               Fax:       (716) 645-3464
               WWW:       http://www.cs.buffalo.edu/~milun/

libXpm.so.4.7: can't open file: errno=2

Post by Rachel Polansk » Mon, 09 Sep 1996 04:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

> ?
> ?> LD_LIBRARY_PATH legacy.
> ?>
> ?> Is there any way to rid myself of it, besides recompiling everything?
> ?
> ?Well, there is, but it involves writing a program that I haven't written.
> ?
> ?Everything you could want to do to an ELF file, can be done with
> ?libelf based code.  In this particular case:
> ?
> ? There's likely an RPATH entry in the .dynamic section (or
> ? you'll have to built a new section, adding one).  It
> ? references an entry in the .dynstr section which contains a
> ? colon separated list of paths.  It is this thing that you want
> ? to add (or hack).
> ?
> ?The bad news is I don't have the time to create such a beastie.
> ?Besides, the real answer is to write a more general purpose ELF
> ?editor...

> I have written one that allows you to edit the RPATH (as long as you don't
> make it any longer than the path included at compile time).

> It's available as ftp://ftp.cs.buffalo.edu/users/milun/Solaris/setrpath.c

Thanks!!

rachel
--
Rachel Polanskis                 Kingswood, Greater Western Sydney, Australia

                Witty comment revoked due to funding cuts

1. LibXpm 4.7 ELF binary wanted!

        If someone could help me find the libXpm version 4.7 library
compiled for Linux I would appreciate it. I've only been able to find the
source code for 4.7, which I have had problems compiling, and binaries for
version 4.6. But I need version 4.7 to run LyX. Can someone please point me
towards an ftp site where I could get one?

Kevin
Cols, Oh

2. XF86Config for Winbook XP5 Pro

3. LibXPM 4.7 Where Is It?

4. how to set up Linux with DSL router

5. libXpm 4.7 and Fvwm95

6. Problems compiling sound.o module (newbie question)

7. OpenWin Filemgr: 'cannot open file: too many files open' ?

8. Kernel Panic: Problems in installing Linux

9. fatal: libXaw.so.5: can't open file: errno=2

10. Solaris 2.3: libXt.so.5.0: can't open file: errno=2

11. Netscape can't load 'libXpm.so.4'

12. netscape - can't load library 'libXpm.so.4'

13. fatal: libxview.so.3: can't open file: errno=2