Looooooooping Server

Post by Guildford-Uni » Thu, 31 Mar 2005 23:36:33

Hi,

Yesterday I had a box that half way through boot up would panic.
Unfortunately eprom auto-boot was set to true.
I tried to send a break signal throughout the whole boot cycle but the
machine would not respond. This could be because it was a rsc
connection ???

The only way I managed to get the box to the ok prompt was to power it
off, pull the internal disks and power the box back on. Surely there
must be a simpler solution to this, any one have any ideas ?

RSC Version: 2.2
RSC Bootmon version: 2.0.0
RSC Firmware version: 2.2.1
Sun-Fire-280R

Looooooooping Server

Post by Dragan Cvetkovi » Thu, 31 Mar 2005 23:40:05

> Hi,

> Yesterday I had a box that half way through boot up would panic.
> Unfortunately eprom auto-boot was set to true.
> I tried to send a break signal throughout the whole boot cycle but the
> machine would not respond. This could be because it was a rsc
> connection ???

> The only way I managed to get the box to the ok prompt was to power it
> off, pull the internal disks and power the box back on. Surely there
> must be a simpler solution to this, any one have any ideas ?

There is a 'break' command in RSC. Providing that you enabled breaks (via
key and/or via kbd -a).

Bye, Dragan

--
Dragan Cvetkovic,

To be or not to be is true. G. Boole      No it isn't.  L. E. J. Brouwer

Looooooooping Server

Post by Guildford-Uni » Fri, 01 Apr 2005 00:12:16

Tried this (break from rsc) through the whole cycle aswell. No luck
Have checked /etc/default/kbd, no problems. Also this surely will not
take effect while POST is running. (ie memory check)

Thanks

Looooooooping Server

Post by Darren Dunha » Fri, 01 Apr 2005 01:57:40

> Hi,
> Yesterday I had a box that half way through boot up would panic.
> Unfortunately eprom auto-boot was set to true.
> I tried to send a break signal throughout the whole boot cycle but the
> machine would not respond. This could be because it was a rsc
> connection ???

What kind of box?  Does it have a keyswitch?

Quote:> RSC Version: 2.2
> RSC Bootmon version: 2.0.0
> RSC Firmware version: 2.2.1
> Sun-Fire-280R

Is the keyswitch in the "secure" position?

--

Senior Technical Consultant         TAOS            http://www.taos.com/

Looooooooping Server

Post by Guildford-Uni » Sat, 02 Apr 2005 00:40:42

The box is a Sun-Fire-280R
We normally have the keyswitch set to secure on all boxes.

Thanks

Looooooooping Server

Post by Oscar del Ri » Sat, 02 Apr 2005 01:14:18

> The box is a Sun-Fire-280R
> We normally have the keyswitch set to secure on all boxes.

Isn't it easier to turn the key to "normal" position
and then break to the "ok" prompt than removing the HDs?  :-)

Looooooooping Server

Post by Darren Dunha » Sat, 02 Apr 2005 04:29:49

> The box is a Sun-Fire-280R
> We normally have the keyswitch set to secure on all boxes.

Breaks are not serviced in the secure position.

--

Senior Technical Consultant         TAOS            http://www.taos.com/

1. How to share one IP address with two servers (application server and web server)?

Hi!,

I don't think you can share one IP address with two different servers, but you
can do load balancing ?, is this what you want ?

See ya

Dean Thompson

2. AT&T 630 Terminal and modem

3. FreeBSD Web servers (was Re: NT server vs workstation for WWW server)

4. SIGURG incorrectly delivered to process

5. Can NCSA HTTP server be set up as Proxy Server and Web server?

6. Shadow Passwords and PPP

7. Using your web server as a file server/version control server?

8. SCSI HDs not detected

9. assesing initial server # from server-status ?

10. port win32 COM Server to linux CORBA server

11. Apache Server V Netscape Server

12. Using an outside proxy server form behind a proxy server

13. How can I log into a remote server and run X aps in that server?