Solaris X86 + >2.1 Gb IDE Disk?

Post by Jason Mill » Sat, 04 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

  I just purchased a 8.4 Gb IDE disk and I'm attempting to install
Solaris 2.5.1 Server on it.  Has anyone sucessfully installed 2.5.1
(or even 2.6, which I would glady purchase if it solves the problem)
on an IDE > 2.1 Gb?

Details:
+8.4 Gb drive
+BIOS doesn't recognize it, so I'm using MicroHouse's EZDisk
 which makes it appear as 5 disks (2 Gb each, plus an extra).
+Solaris x86 boots and shows the drive two partitions: one is
 Unknown and 2Gb.  The other is extended which is the rest
 of the drive.
+Solaris installer appears to work fine onto the disk, but does
 not boot afterward. The BIOS comes up and goes to the
 drive then it hangs.
+Same exact things happen without EZDisk installed.

Questions:
+Will installing 2.6 be any different?
+Is there a current patch, present or in production?
+Is my BIOS the problem or Solaris understanding of disks?

Additionally:
+Solve it and you'd be a friend for life because otherwise I'll
 probably waste the entire weekend coming to the same
 conclusion of the consesus.
+My apologies if this is in a FAQ.  Just point me to it.

Thanks in advance,
Jason

Solaris X86 + >2.1 Gb IDE Disk?

Post by chelj.. » Sun, 05 Apr 1998 04:00:00

 > Hi,
 >
 >   I just purchased a 8.4 Gb IDE disk and I'm attempting to install
 > Solaris 2.5.1 Server on it.  Has anyone sucessfully installed 2.5.1
 > (or even 2.6, which I would glady purchase if it solves the problem)
 > on an IDE > 2.1 Gb?
 >
 > Details:
 > +8.4 Gb drive
 > +BIOS doesn't recognize it, so I'm using MicroHouse's EZDisk
 >  which makes it appear as 5 disks (2 Gb each, plus an extra).
 > +Solaris x86 boots and shows the drive two partitions: one is
 >  Unknown and 2Gb.  The other is extended which is the rest
 >  of the drive.
 > +Solaris installer appears to work fine onto the disk, but does
 >  not boot afterward. The BIOS comes up and goes to the
 >  drive then it hangs.
 > +Same exact things happen without EZDisk installed.
 >
 > Questions:
 > +Will installing 2.6 be any different?
 > +Is there a current patch, present or in production?
 > +Is my BIOS the problem or Solaris understanding of disks?
 >
 > Additionally:
 > +Solve it and you'd be a friend for life because otherwise I'll
 >  probably waste the entire weekend coming to the same
 >  conclusion of the consesus.
 > +My apologies if this is in a FAQ.  Just point me to it.
 >
 > Thanks in advance,
 > Jason

FWIW, I've had 2.5, 2.5.1, and 2.6 work on a 2.5 G IDE disk here without
doing anything special (other than using current DU's).  Hardware here
is a Unisys SME with 3 Pentiums and 64 Megs of RAM.

--
Please remove the (hopefully obvious) spam foiler from address when
responding.

Solaris X86 + >2.1 Gb IDE Disk?

Post by Donald Charles Kue » Wed, 08 Apr 1998 04:00:00

My advice is to purchase a new motherboard, which contains the new
translating BIOS. In my experience it's very hard to fool Solaris
about the hardware connected to your system. If memory serves me,
an OS can query the disk directly to determine its capacity, and
that's what Solaris does. It queries your 8.4 GB disk, which in turn
reports back its 8.4 GB capacity.

A problem arises if your drive also reports back that it contains more
than 1024 cyclinders. (Almost all large capacity drives *do* contain
more than 1024 cyclinders.) A problem occurs because an old PC spec
limits drives to less than 1024 cyclinders. Solaris tries to use the
1100th cyclinder, and bang, your PC objects and Solaris panics.

Translating BIOS solves this problem by remapping your drive's
head, cylinder, and sector parameters. This remapping increases
the head and sector counts, which then allows the cylinder count
to decrease to a value below 1024.

For the record, I use Solaris 2.4 on a 486 with a 4 GB, IDE hard drive.
Using the 4 GB drive, it has functioned flawlessly as a server for about a
year.

:   I just purchased a 8.4 Gb IDE disk and I'm attempting to install
: Solaris 2.5.1 Server on it.  Has anyone sucessfully installed 2.5.1
: (or even 2.6, which I would glady purchase if it solves the problem)
: on an IDE > 2.1 Gb?

: Details:
: +8.4 Gb drive
: +BIOS doesn't recognize it, so I'm using MicroHouse's EZDisk
:  which makes it appear as 5 disks (2 Gb each, plus an extra).

Solaris X86 + >2.1 Gb IDE Disk?

Post by Robert S. Malloz » Thu, 09 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

> Hi,

>   I just purchased a 8.4 Gb IDE disk and I'm attempting to install
> Solaris 2.5.1 Server on it.  Has anyone sucessfully installed 2.5.1
> (or even 2.6, which I would glady purchase if it solves the problem)
> on an IDE > 2.1 Gb?

> Details:
> +8.4 Gb drive
> +BIOS doesn't recognize it, so I'm using MicroHouse's EZDisk
>  which makes it appear as 5 disks (2 Gb each, plus an extra).
> +Solaris x86 boots and shows the drive two partitions: one is
>  Unknown and 2Gb.  The other is extended which is the rest
>  of the drive.
> +Solaris installer appears to work fine onto the disk, but does
>  not boot afterward. The BIOS comes up and goes to the
>  drive then it hangs.
> +Same exact things happen without EZDisk installed.

If your bios does not support large disks, one option
is to buy a secondary IDE controller card.  I purchased
one from GSI that will control 4 devices for about $60,
and it works fine.  It uses the ISA bus (not PCI), so I lost
a little performance, but was is a very low cost option.

--
Robert S. Mallozzi
http://cspar.uah.edu/~mallozzir/

Solaris X86 + >2.1 Gb IDE Disk?

Post by Jason Brow » Fri, 10 Apr 1998 04:00:00

> If your bios does not support large disks, one option
> is to buy a secondary IDE controller card.  I purchased
> one from GSI that will control 4 devices for about $60,

I`m surprised you managed to find one, they are becoming rare as
motherboards are getting so cheap.  When you can buy a cheap VX Pro
Pentium motherboard for under 50GBP an I/O controller for 30GBP probably
isn`t worth it.

Jason.

1. How to reformat a 2.1 GB disk to 2 GB ?

Is there a UNIX tool to reformat the Seagate ST 3 2155 N disk
from 2GB + 1551 kB to 2GB+300 kB or less ?

Or is it possible to just force the disk to report the smaller size ?

Machine: hp9000/712
OS: HP-UX 10.20

Thank you

Pavel POKORNY                   Department of Mathematics
phone: +42 2 2435 3096          Prague Institute of Chemical Technology
fax:   +42 2 311 3629           Technicka 5
 or    +42 2 24 311 082         166 28 Prague

2. Network Monitoring

3. Help: Partitioning confusing me ....

4. Solaris 2.5 x86 can't see more than 1.5 GB on IDE disk?

5. video mode during RH7 installation

6. large (>8 Gb) IDE disks on Sparc Solaris 2.6

7. NEED D-Link DE-530T/T+ PCI ethernet driver

8. NEED x86 SOLARIS 2.4 BOOT DISKS>>>

9. Solaris 2.1 x86 OEM:Standalone -> network ?

10. < FAS/SAS for Solaris 2.1 x86 ? >

11. mmap(), Solaris 2.1 x86, and > real memory.

12. XFree86 2.1 for solaris x86 2.1