Sendmail won't deliver to file

Post by Colin Simpso » Mon, 13 Jul 1998 04:00:00

I have recently converted our mail hub over from SunOS to Solaris 2.6
and I decided to use the latest version of sendmail 8.9.1. We keep a
log of certain mail messages which is simply delivered to a file on
that machine. However this version of sendmail does not appear willing
deliver directly to a file :

Jul 12 18:19:15 tay sendmail[3773]: SAA03772: alias wlog => /disk2/log/wlog
Jul 12 18:19:15 tay sendmail[3773]: SAA03772: to=/disk2/log/wlog,
delay=00:00:00, xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=local, stat=Sent

shouldn't that be mailer=*file*. The config file is virtually
identical to the one we had before except the Mlocal line has been
changed to make it suitable for Solaris. Delivery to a program seems
similarly directed to mailer=local. Is there some new security feature
in sendmail 8.9 ? This used to work fine on sendmail 8.8.4.
Local delivery to ordinary users and forwarding of email seem to work
fine. The file permissions of wlog are 666.

Can anyone throw any light on this ?

--

Network Manager
Concept Systems

1. Sendmail & OBSD 2.4 - can't deliver local mail.

Sendmail 8.9.3
OpenBSD 2.4 stock

Sendmail accepts incoming messages no problem, but when it tries to
deliver it to the local mailer, the local mailer won't work.  The error
message is: "mail.local: may only be run by the superuser".

mail.local is a binary in the /usr/libexec.  It is readable and
executable by every one.  It is chown root, chgrp bin.  Sendmail is in
the /usr/sbin directory, its permissions are "-r-sr-xr-x", chown root,
chgrp kmem.

Does anyone have any thoughts?  I've tried chgrp wheel sendmail -
doesn't work.  I'm really stumped here.

Any efforts are ideas are greatly appreciated.  If possible, please
email me as I don't check the group that often.

TIA

Dave MacBride

2. IDE/CMOS question

3. mmdf mail rejected by deliver from linux box, sendmail doesn't work

4. Does anyone have a Digital Satellite TV Card (in the UK)?

5. smail won't deliver my mail

6. Which SCSI controller?

7. /usr/bin/mail won't deliver mail locally!

8. what do "Getstatus times out" and "Reset-floppy called" mean?

9. MMDF won't deliver inbound mail

10. Sendmail won't bind (all of a F***'n sudden)

11. sendmail won't send mail in it's queue

12. pppd 2.2.0f 'make kernel' won't copy files

13. Mail delivered by sender gets "failure to deliver"