Hardware Platform

Post by Vincent Ch » Wed, 08 May 2002 17:46:45

What are the complete list of hardware platforms (e.g., SPARC, x86,
PowerPC, IA64, etc.) that support Sun Solaris?

Hardware Platform

Post by Dennis Clark » Wed, 08 May 2002 18:14:59

> What are the complete list of hardware platforms (e.g., SPARC, x86,
> PowerPC, IA64, etc.) that support Sun Solaris?

Just about anything from Sun.  You can check with the HCL for intel.  Solaris is NOT
supported on anything else other than Intel and SPARC processors such as the UltraSparc
V9A.  Solaris is a 64-bit operating system but you can not run in 64-bit mode on Intel.

INFODOC ID: 14775
SYNOPSIS: x86 Introduction and Q&A
http://sunsolve.Sun.COM/pub-cgi/retrieve.pl?type=0&doc=finfodoc%2F147...

WHITE PAPER ID: 26936
SYNOPSIS: SPARC Strategy and Technology White Paper (originally published 9/91)
http://sunsolve.Sun.COM/pub-cgi/retrieve.pl?type=0&doc=fwpaper%2F2693...

INFODOC ID: 17115
SYNOPSIS: FAQ on 64 bit computing
http://sunsolve.Sun.COM/pub-cgi/retrieve.pl?type=0&doc=finfodoc%2F171...

Solaris (Intel Platform Edition)
Hardware Compatibility Lists
Solaris 8 (Intel Platform Edition) 2/02 Hardware Compatibility List
(Last updated March 2002)
http://soldc.sun.com/support/drivers/hcl/8/202/toc.html

Dennis

Hardware Platform

Post by Lanc » Thu, 09 May 2002 09:20:55

Quote:> What are the complete list of hardware platforms (e.g., SPARC, x86,
> PowerPC, IA64, etc.) that support Sun Solaris?

If you want to know what platforms they support right now, x86 and SPARC.
In the past they did have a powerPC version and some others.

Lance

Hardware Platform

Post by Paul Flo » Thu, 09 May 2002 16:32:50

>> What are the complete list of hardware platforms (e.g., SPARC, x86,
>> PowerPC, IA64, etc.) that support Sun Solaris?

>Just about anything from Sun.  You can check with the HCL for intel.  Solaris is NOT
>supported on anything else other than Intel and SPARC processors such as the UltraSparc
>V9A.  Solaris is a 64-bit operating system but you can not run in 64-bit mode on Intel.

Well, there was a PowerPC version of Solaris (2.3 timeframe?). When the
PowerPC failed to take off to the point of supplanting the Pentium, that
version died a death.

An IA64 version probably exists in Sun's labs, but is not commercially
available - it's probably far from thoroughly tested.

A bientot
Paul
--
Paul Floyd                 http://paulf.free.fr (for what it's worth)

What happens if you have lead in your pants as well as lead in your pencil?

1. Good hardware platform to support 50+ DB users

We are currently using (don't laugh) an AT&T 3B2/600 for a
database application that is growing in popularity.
Response time gets very slow when you have more than 10-15
concurrent users running our database application.

This has put us in the market for a faster hardware platform
for our Database applications.

I was wondering what recommendations people had for machines
that can support 50+ concurrent users running database applications
whithout noticable performance degredation.

Most users are doing mild data entry and heavy report generation.
BTW our database is Unify 2000 ( about 75M ) and our application
is written in ACCELL 4GL.

Information including the following would be greatly appreciated.

Machine and Model:
OS version:
Amount of RAM:
Disk Size and type:
Typical number of concurrent users:
Other comments about performance:

Thanks,

Kevin

--
Kevin Meek

2. About Vilmos answering "crc errorVFS"

3. Possible new hardware platform

4. Built-in components

5. Current hardware platforms?

6. COMMERCIAL: New TRI-Linux CD: Red Hat 4.1, Slackware 3.1and Debian 1.2.5

7. Help on chosing hardware platform for www server

8. stripping

9. Detecting RS6000 hardware-platform

10. Which hardware platform?

11. Other hardware platform