Reboot problems with Solaris x86

Post by Jeremy Burto » Fri, 30 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Hi There,
        I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem to the
one I'm about to describe, and more importantly, has found a way to fix
it :). Our problem is this:
We are running Solaris x86 (2.6 with patches) on a PII-300, with a
Gigabyte motherboard. When Solaris brings up its boot prompt (ie the bit
where it says "hit (b) to boot" (or words to that effect), if we don't
have a keyboard plugged into the machine, the machine will not boot
after the specified period of time, but reboot. Now, as I'm sure most of
you will understand, when the machine is a server in a rack cabinet,
having a keyboard plugged into every one of these servers would just be
silly (we have 3-4 so far, with possibility of more in future). So has
anyone come across this problem, or worked out how to fix it?

thanks,

Jeremy Burton

Post by Frank Heime » Wed, 04 Nov 1998 04:00:00

>         I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem to the
> one I'm about to describe, and more importantly, has found a way to fix
> it :). Our problem is this:
> We are running Solaris x86 (2.6 with patches) on a PII-300, with a
> Gigabyte motherboard. When Solaris brings up its boot prompt (ie the bit
> where it says "hit (b) to boot" (or words to that effect), if we don't
> have a keyboard plugged into the machine, the machine will not boot
> after the specified period of time, but reboot. Now, as I'm sure most of
> you will understand, when the machine is a server in a rack cabinet,
> having a keyboard plugged into every one of these servers would just be
> silly (we have 3-4 so far, with possibility of more in future). So has
> anyone come across this problem, or worked out how to fix it?

I have good and bad news.

  According to SUN, some newer motherboards enable the system to check
  the proper function of the keyboard (so does my ASUS-P2L97DS).
  The SUNOS loader waits until the keyboard is plugged in.
  You can unplug the keyboard immediatly after that test !!

In my opinion, this really sucks; especially since I can instruct
the BIOS to 'halt on no errors', i.e. ignore an absent keyboard.

The only thing you can do is buy a F1-keyboard, a zero-key-keyboard
or rip the cable with the electronics out of a cheap keyboard and
lock this into the PC case.

A server usually isn't rebooted so frequently, isn't it?
You might as well keep a 'reboot'-keyboard.

adios,
      Frank Heimes

Reboot problems with Solaris x86

Post by David Figuero » Wed, 04 Nov 1998 04:00:00

The better keyboard/mouse/monitor switches keep the various ports in a 'hot'
state which allows them to boot.  There a several bios's out there that will
not allow a system to boot w/o a keyboard signal.

>>         I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem to the
>> one I'm about to describe, and more importantly, has found a way to fix
>> it :). Our problem is this:
>> We are running Solaris x86 (2.6 with patches) on a PII-300, with a
>> Gigabyte motherboard. When Solaris brings up its boot prompt (ie the bit
>> where it says "hit (b) to boot" (or words to that effect), if we don't
>> have a keyboard plugged into the machine, the machine will not boot
>> after the specified period of time, but reboot. Now, as I'm sure most of
>> you will understand, when the machine is a server in a rack cabinet,
>> having a keyboard plugged into every one of these servers would just be
>> silly (we have 3-4 so far, with possibility of more in future). So has
>> anyone come across this problem, or worked out how to fix it?

>I have good and bad news.

>  According to SUN, some newer motherboards enable the system to check
>  the proper function of the keyboard (so does my ASUS-P2L97DS).
>  The SUNOS loader waits until the keyboard is plugged in.
>  You can unplug the keyboard immediatly after that test !!

>In my opinion, this really sucks; especially since I can instruct
>the BIOS to 'halt on no errors', i.e. ignore an absent keyboard.

>The only thing you can do is buy a F1-keyboard, a zero-key-keyboard
>or rip the cable with the electronics out of a cheap keyboard and
>lock this into the PC case.

>A server usually isn't rebooted so frequently, isn't it?
>You might as well keep a 'reboot'-keyboard.

>adios,
>      Frank Heimes

Reboot problems with Solaris x86

Post by Andrew Gabri » Fri, 06 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>The better keyboard/mouse/monitor switches keep the various ports in a 'hot'
>state which allows them to boot.  There a several bios's out there that will
>not allow a system to boot w/o a keyboard signal.

One of my favourates...   Keyboard error - press F1 to continue

:-)

--
Andrew Gabriel
Consultant Software Engineer

1. Solaris x86/2.6 reboot problem (ASUS P2B-D/P2B-DS Board)

I can confirm the same behaviour for the ASUS P2B-S boards.  I've
found no solution so far.

The system seems to be shut down ok - everything that needs to be
written to disk is written OK, and the system boots cleanly after it's
manually resetted.  The reboot hangs in the "cpu reset" code after
poking around in the keyboard controller, which seems to be
responsible in a peecee to reset the system.

2. ac97_codec and SB Live problems with 2.4.9

3. Solaris x86 9 (8/03): Device Configuration Assistant at every reboot?

4. PAS-16 and sound

5. Solaris 2.6 x86 hangs on after "Hostname:..." on first reboot

6. RedHat 5.2 install. SMB a

7. Rebooting Solaris x86 how?

8. FTP question

9. Solaris x86 2.5, Driver Update 3, machine hangs after rebooting "Display exists"

10. Solaris X86 spontaneously reboots

11. Solaris x86 PC rebooting

12. Auto reboots in Solaris x86 2.4

13. Solaris X86 reboot trouble on an HP XA/180