Wanted: Info on elf_xxx()

Post by Jon Willar » Thu, 14 Sep 1995 04:00:00

I have started looking at elf_xxx() functions and would like some more
info than is provided by the man pages.  In particular I am interested
in getting symbol names and addresses from an executable.

Thanks in advance,

Jon

Cabletron Systems, Inc.            Voice : (603) 337-7347
P.O. Box 5005                      Fax   : (603) 337-7370
Rochester, NH 03866-5005

Historical Note - September 13, 1971
Prison uprising at Attica NY ends with deaths of 37 inmates.

Wanted: Info on elf_xxx()

   Newsgroups: comp.unix.solaris
   Date: Wed, 13 Sep 1995 14:43:50 -0400

   I have started looking at elf_xxx() functions and would like some more
   info than is provided by the man pages.  In particular I am interested
   in getting symbol names and addresses from an executable.

Presuming popen 'nm' isn't the right solution, there are
a couple of discussion of what's in the ELF file in the
Linker and Libraries Guide and the SPARC Assembly manual,
both in AnswerBook, but not much on the libelf API.  The
SPARC ABI supplement to the AT&T docs might have some of
this (available at your computer book store), but the only
book I've seen that goes into this is AT&T's "Understanding
the ELF Object Format and Debugging Tools" edited by Mary
Lou Nohr (otherwise known as the "Lou-Nohr Module"), which
is also available at compter book stores.

Rick

        Richard M. Goldstein

        Desktop Performance Group
        SunSoft, Inc.

        "... AND I'M NOT WEARING PANTS!!!"
                        -Dave

Wanted: Info on elf_xxx()

Post by Davin Mil » Sat, 16 Sep 1995 04:00:00

?I have started looking at elf_xxx() functions and would like some more
?info than is provided by the man pages.  In particular I am interested
?in getting symbol names and addresses from an executable.

With a bit of hacking, and staring at the man pages, I wrote some elf code
which will examine and modify the RPATH of an executable.  It might be useful
to you.

It is available from
        ftp://ftp.cs.buffalo.edu/users/milun/Solaris/setrpath.c

Davin.

               Fax:       (716) 645-3464
               WWW:       http://www.cs.buffalo.edu/~milun/

1. WANTED: INFO on kernel config info

I just patched up to 1.1.72 and while do a make config I say some really
cool sounding new config options. I wass wondering if someone could
clue me in on what they do.
        1. VESA Power Saving Protocol Support -
                are there special hardware requirements for this ?
        2. IP multicasting (ALPHA) -
                is this the same as the multicasting patch I have for my sun
                workstation so that I can use vat ? Is there some sort of "vat"
                for linux which would let me talk over the network ? What
                hardware/software is required ?

Under Networks

        3. IP firewalling -
                what does this do ? Allow for the creation of the system as
                a firewall or configure it as a firewall or what ?
        4. IP accounting -
                What type/how much accounting.
        5. 16 channels instead of 4 -
                I never really did understand the notion of "channel" under slip.
                Is this the number of slip connections ? Is this the number of
                "network connection scheduling slots" or what. What is the advantage
                of 16 channels over 4 ?
        6. Load balancing support (experimental) -
                I have seen this before but never knew what it did. What does it try
                to do ?

I don't have any of these compiles in right now but would like to know what
they do. As the kernel Howto doesn't mention these I thought I would ask.
Thanks
--
Randy Sharpe

2. Help w/ Linksys 10/100 + 56K

3. Elf missing elf_XXX subroutines ???

4. my tmp directory has gone funny in the middle of the night

5. Helsinki accommodation info wanted

6. "xosview" like utility for FreeBSD ?

7. Wanted: Info on ISP Software for AIX

8. HELP!How to get TokenRing and Ether 2gether!!!

9. Media devices info wanted

10. wanted info: Linux vs. NT4

11. Info on "SysAdmin" from Manix Systems wanted

12. Media devices info wanted

13. Info wanted on a good UNIX book