Cleaning up old patches in /var/sadm

Post by John Stewa » Fri, 05 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>Suppose one has a Solaris 2 computer where which has had the
>recommended patch clusters installed on it from time to time,
>leaving many old files from old patches in /var/sadm .
>What is the safe way to remove some of the unused old files
>from old patches in /var/sadm?  "Safe" means that programs
>like "showrev -p" work properly, and subsequent installpatch
>runs won't get confused about the current patch state of the
>computer, but being able to backoutpatch to get to the old
>patches' versions of the files is not a requirement.

I think the easiest solution would be to upgrade the machine to Solaris 2.6.
All of the patch related files in /var/sadm will be removed during the
upgrade.  Solaris 2.6 has drastically fewer patches than earlier versions of
Solaris -- we currently only install 3 security related patches on our
2.6 systems.
--
John Stewart -- Computing and Communications Services, Carleton University

Cleaning up old patches in /var/sadm

Post by Casper H.S. Dik - Network Security Engine » Fri, 05 Dec 1997 04:00:00

My fastpatch perl script will remove such outdated information in safe
way.

See ftp://ftp.wins.uva.nl/pub/solaris/auto-install/

Casper
be fiction rather than truth.

Post by Timothy J. L » Fri, 05 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Suppose one has a Solaris 2 computer where which has had the
recommended patch clusters installed on it from time to time,
leaving many old files from old patches in /var/sadm .

What is the safe way to remove some of the unused old files
from old patches in /var/sadm?  "Safe" means that programs
like "showrev -p" work properly, and subsequent installpatch
runs won't get confused about the current patch state of the
computer, but being able to backoutpatch to get to the old
patches' versions of the files is not a requirement.

Cleaning up old patches in /var/sadm

Post by Paul Egge » Fri, 05 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> ftp://ftp.wins.uva.nl/pub/solaris/auto-install/

I use this package's `fastpatch.pl -b -o -r' program;
it's a great way to remove patch clutter in well-maintained
Solaris systems.  Thanks!

Now, if we could just get Sun to fix its patch procedure to do this
sort of thing automatically.  Sun has stuck with its dinosaurian patch
procedures for far too long; they're long overdue for sprucing up.

Post by Timothy J. L » Sat, 06 Dec 1997 04:00:00

|My fastpatch perl script will remove such outdated information in safe
|way.
|
|See ftp://ftp.wins.uva.nl/pub/solaris/auto-install/

Does this only work when installing a new patch?  I tried
"perl fastpatch.pl -or", but is just called backoutpatch,
which just said:

Patches must be backed out in the reverse order in
which they were installed.

Cleaning up old patches in /var/sadm

Post by Casper H.S. Dik - Network Security Engine » Sat, 06 Dec 1997 04:00:00

>|My fastpatch perl script will remove such outdated information in safe
>|way.
>|
>|See ftp://ftp.wins.uva.nl/pub/solaris/auto-install/
>Does this only work when installing a new patch?  I tried
>"perl fastpatch.pl -or", but is just called backoutpatch,
>which just said:
>Patches must be backed out in the reverse order in
>which they were installed.

By default, fastpatch will call backoutpatch unless it knows how how to
backout by itself.

If you tell it to "-b" (don't use backoutpatch) it will not call backoutpatch
and will just call "remove_new_junk" which should clean up the patch
mess.

Casper
be fiction rather than truth.

1. Old revs of jumbo patches - need to keep in /var/sadm/patch?

As I install version after version of the jumbo patch (101318 for 5.3
in this case) on my system, is it safe to delete the directory tree for
old versions of the patch in /var/sadm/patch/101318* that are older
than the most recent one (or two) I installed? If you've done this let
me know.

I ruined a system and had to reinstall once because I backed out an old
rev of the patch (N minus something) AFTER installing version N. I attribute
that to backoutpatch getting confused and deleting something from the
necessary system files, rather than losing something from the directory
in /var/sadm/patch/101318*.

Installpatch grovels around a bit in /var/sadm/patch/<patchnum>. I'll
check to see exactly what its behavior is. The world needs an answer
because....well, who needs to start installing a 100 MB /var on every
system. You never know how much room you re going to need for patches
these days!

-w

2. xscreensaver doesn't connect

3. /var/sadm/patch "clean" cleanup

4. Need help tracing lpd problem printing from VAX VMS to Linux

5. Can I remove outdated patches from /var/sadm/patch?

6. electric eyes

7. Problem installing patch after removing /var/sadm/patch dir

8. SUMMARY : Cleaning up /lost+found

9. how to rebuild /var/sadm/patch

10. Solaris Live upgrade: questions about /var/sadm/patch

11. Solaris patch - /var/sadm/pkg ?

12. default permission in /var/sadm/patch

13. copy /var/sadm vs. install patch