Partitioning Question for Solaris 8

Post by Albert Bicknel » Sat, 24 Feb 2001 07:13:59

I have a Sparc 20 with 128 mb ram.  I had been running Redhat linux 6.2 (the
latest for sparc) and the first time I tried to install Solaris 8 (at the
point after you choose the language and it asks you to reformat your drive)
It asked about swap, then failed at reformatting.  After I decided to run
solaris I rewrote the partition map (using fdisk, as part of the RHL
installer, to two whole disks, for the two drives).  I would like to know
how I am supposed to set the disks so the Solaris installer can do what it's
supposed to do as far as setting up the partitions.  I cannot believe that
the solaris installer doesn't have a tool that can rewrite the partition
table.  Thanks in advance,
    Albert

Partitioning Question for Solaris 8

Post by David Gutierre » Sat, 24 Feb 2001 08:16:49

I have installed Solaris 8 a few times and you are correct in that there is
no "manual layout" option to partition the disk and filesystems like there
is in 7 and 2.6.  I have used the "desktop" CD.  Maybe in the "server"
version you can do it.  I'm not sure.  Let me know if you figure it out.

David

Quote:> I have a Sparc 20 with 128 mb ram.  I had been running Redhat linux 6.2
(the
> latest for sparc) and the first time I tried to install Solaris 8 (at the
> point after you choose the language and it asks you to reformat your
drive)
> It asked about swap, then failed at reformatting.  After I decided to run
> solaris I rewrote the partition map (using fdisk, as part of the RHL
> installer, to two whole disks, for the two drives).  I would like to know
> how I am supposed to set the disks so the Solaris installer can do what
it's
> supposed to do as far as setting up the partitions.  I cannot believe that
> the solaris installer doesn't have a tool that can rewrite the partition
> table.  Thanks in advance,
>     Albert

Partitioning Question for Solaris 8

Post by Nathan Dietsc » Sat, 24 Feb 2001 18:29:16

David,

Maybe I misunderstand what you are saying. But you can definitely modify the
partition layout. I am installing using Installation Disk 1, none of this
webstart business. You have an option to modify the layout just as you did
in 2.6 and 7.

Nathan

Post by Darren Dunha » Sun, 25 Feb 2001 02:01:07

> I have installed Solaris 8 a few times and you are correct in that there is
> no "manual layout" option to partition the disk and filesystems like there
> is in 7 and 2.6.  I have used the "desktop" CD.  Maybe in the "server"
> version you can do it.  I'm not sure.  Let me know if you figure it out.

Hey Dave!  Long time no see.

Solaris 8 no longer has a 'destop' vs 'server' distinction.  They're all
the same now.

If you want the old style installer, just boot with 'disk 1 of 2' rather
than the installation disk.  It should have the same old disk layout
tool from previous versions.

      < Please move on, ...nothing to see here,  please disperse >