Default Gateway, Default DNS server

Post by dburton7 » Wed, 08 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

Im pretty new to the Unix world.  I need to know what file I need to
configure for the default gateway and default DNS server my server will be
using.  Sorry for the beginner question.

Post by liam.. » Wed, 08 Sep 1999 04:00:00

For your default gateway you need to make a file in /etc called
defaultrouter with the ip only. The dns you need to edit the resolv.conf
in /etc this file should look like this

domain name
nameserver ip address
nameserver ip address

goodluck ...Liam

Quote:> Hi,

> Im pretty new to the Unix world.  I need to know what file I need to
> configure for the default gateway and default DNS server my server
will be
> using.  Sorry for the beginner question.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Post by Greg Evan » Wed, 08 Sep 1999 04:00:00

        For your default gateway create a file:  /etc/defaultrouter and put
the ip address of the gateway in there.  For DNS you need to create a
file: /etc/resolve.conf and make it look like this:

domain  <your domain>
nameserver      <ip of your nameserver>

Then look at the file /etc/nsswitch.conf.  Make sure that DNS is on of
the options next to the host entry

ie:     hosts           nis [not found=RETURN] dns files

You'll have to either reboot or add the default route using the route
command to get the default router going.

Quote:>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Original Message <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

regarding Default Gateway, Default DNS server:

Quote:> Hi,
> Im pretty new to the Unix world.  I need to know what file I need to
> configure for the default gateway and default DNS server my server
will be
> using.  Sorry for the beginner question.

Post by Mark Mentova » Wed, 08 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Someone wrote in comp.unix.solaris:

Quote:>Im pretty new to the Unix world.  I need to know what file I need to
>configure for the default gateway and default DNS server my server will be
>using.  Sorry for the beginner question.

The router is defined in /etc/defaultrouter.  Create the file with the
IP of the router you want to use, and you should be set.  "man
defaultrouter"

You need to change /etc/nsswitch.conf so that the "hosts:" line
contains "dns" (the recommend setting is usually "hosts: files dns").
"man nsswitch.conf"  You also need to set up /etc/resolv.conf - put
"nameserver 12.34.56.78" in there, and add a second line with a second
nameserver if you like.  "man resolv.conf" - you probably also want to
set up a domain or search path.

Go grab yourself a Solaris FAQ and you'll be just fine - try
www.sunhelp.org.

-MM

Post by Philip Bro » Wed, 08 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi,

>Im pretty new to the Unix world.  I need to know what file I need to
>configure for the default gateway and default DNS server my server will be
>using.  Sorry for the beginner question.

are you perhaps setting up PPP?
If so, then you can run the following shellscript, and everything will
be taken care of

www.bolthole.com/solaris/configppp.sh

The word of the day is mispergitude