Number of concurrent TCP connections

Post by Antoine Davou » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 03:35:19

Hi,
I am working on a telecom system. I am in charge of performance
measurements. The system is Solaris 8 based. The servers are connected to a
Load Balancers. Obviously, in heavy load traffic conditions, the number of
TCP connections is increasing because the system is requesting a server that
answers in few seconds. The maximum number of TCP connections is limited by
the Load Balancer to 250.

I guess (I know) that this limit is determined essentially by the amount of
memory on both Load Balancers and servers that takes part of the
connections.

My question is : do you have any experience (HTTP servers) of the number of
concurrent TCP connections that a Sparc server running Solaris (with how
much memory and what kind of processor ?) can handle. All I need is rough
values because I have no idea of what is a realistic value ...

Regards
Antoine Davous

Post by Phil Frisbie, Jr » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 05:34:54

> Hi,
> I am working on a telecom system. I am in charge of performance
> measurements. The system is Solaris 8 based. The servers are connected to a
> Load Balancers. Obviously, in heavy load traffic conditions, the number of
> TCP connections is increasing because the system is requesting a server that
> answers in few seconds. The maximum number of TCP connections is limited by
> the Load Balancer to 250.

> I guess (I know) that this limit is determined essentially by the amount of
> memory on both Load Balancers and servers that takes part of the
> connections.

> My question is : do you have any experience (HTTP servers) of the number of
> concurrent TCP connections that a Sparc server running Solaris (with how
> much memory and what kind of processor ?) can handle. All I need is rough
> values because I have no idea of what is a realistic value ...

 From past posts and web server performance comparisons, I am sure that Solaris
with a GB of memory will support over 32,000 connections. Of course, the real
limitation will likely be your network bandwidth.

Quote:> Regards

--
Phil Frisbie, Jr.
Hawk Software

Number of concurrent TCP connections

Post by Antoine Davou » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 06:03:55

OK, thanks Phil.
Actually, I checked, before sending my post to this newsgroup, the Load
Balancers documentation and it is saying that, depending on its actual
hardware, it could handle something like 20 000 connections. I was wondering
about this value and did not want to influence answers... So I am on good
tracks now because 250 connections limit seems to be a big limitation for
heavy traffic. Of course, I am doing things carefully and I have done some
tests and calculations that shows that we should increase this value now
without any doubt.

Regards

> > Hi,
> > I am working on a telecom system. I am in charge of performance
> > measurements. The system is Solaris 8 based. The servers are connected
to a
> > Load Balancers. Obviously, in heavy load traffic conditions, the number
of
> > TCP connections is increasing because the system is requesting a server
that
> > answers in few seconds. The maximum number of TCP connections is limited
by
> > the Load Balancer to 250.

> > I guess (I know) that this limit is determined essentially by the amount
of
> > memory on both Load Balancers and servers that takes part of the
> > connections.

> > My question is : do you have any experience (HTTP servers) of the number
of
> > concurrent TCP connections that a Sparc server running Solaris (with how
> > much memory and what kind of processor ?) can handle. All I need is
rough
> > values because I have no idea of what is a realistic value ...

>  From past posts and web server performance comparisons, I am sure that
Solaris