how much space root partition could have if I want to install solaris 2.6

how much space root partition could have if I want to install solaris 2.6

Post by Work » Wed, 05 Sep 2001 23:01:23

Hi:

I wanted to reinstall solaris 2.6 on my sun machine. I would like to know at
most how much space I could assign to root partition. Thanks. Fol.lowing is
the output of command "uname -a" on my sun machine

SunOS sun20-1 5.6 Generic_105181-05 sun4m sparc SUNW,SPARCstation-20

Post by Darren Dunha » Thu, 06 Sep 2001 04:54:38

> I wanted to reinstall solaris 2.6 on my sun machine. I would like to know at
> most how much space I could assign to root partition. Thanks. Fol.lowing is
> the output of command "uname -a" on my sun machine
> SunOS sun20-1 5.6 Generic_105181-05 sun4m sparc SUNW,SPARCstation-20

No more than 2G unless you're using an Ultra architecture.

No more than 1G if your PROM is less than version 2.6.

          < How are you gentlemen!! Take off every '.SIG'!! >

Post by somebody+use.. » Thu, 06 Sep 2001 10:01:40

>> I wanted to reinstall solaris 2.6 on my sun machine. I would like to know at
>> most how much space I could assign to root partition. Thanks. Fol.lowing is
>> the output of command "uname -a" on my sun machine

>> SunOS sun20-1 5.6 Generic_105181-05 sun4m sparc SUNW,SPARCstation-20

> No more than 2G unless you're using an Ultra architecture.

> No more than 1G if your PROM is less than version 2.6.

It's not just the size but also the location that matters.  The
root filesystem could be 60MB but if it resides past the 2GB
(or 1GB, appropriately) point of the disk it still won't work.

Just make sure the root partition is wholly contained within
the first 2GB of the disk and you'll be fine (1GB for the really
old machines).

-greg

1. Solaris 2.6 - Having trouble installing boot block on 4GB SCSI drive

Just wondering, is there a patch that is floating out there for this
problem? Basically, I am using a Jumpstart server to build
2.6 boxes and it builds fine except for the reboot and it says that
it cannot find the boot block for the drive (I've tried 2 different
drives of the same model). i have even tried running "installboot"
manually and the command completes successfully but it still
fails the bootup process. The only patch that I saw that might
have anything to do with scsi was 106173-03. Has anyone
else seen this problem? Also 4GB EIDE drives work fine
for the Jumpstart (it is configured with "free" for slice 0, so
the partitioning info is not relevant - in otherwords we are using
the entire slice 0 for our /, /usr, etc and another slice for swap
but that's it).

Here's the bootup error:

Rebooting with command:

args:
bootblk: can't find the boot program
Program terminated
Type  help  for more information
ok probe-scsi

Target 3
  Unit 0   Disk     IBM     DDRS34560SUN4.2GS98E98432G8752
                    (C) Copyright IBM Corp.
                    1997. All rights reserved.

TIA,

Rich

2. Please advise on Broadband ISP!!

3. Solaris 2.6, "minfree", 10% free space, tunefs and time vs space

4. amd & anonymous ftp

5. growfs on root partition, ODS 4.1 and Solaris 2.6

6. Motif and C++ ...

7. Can't Find Make in Solaris 2.6 - Wanting to install SSH

8. Looking for Central NJ Linux User Group ..... New Jersey

9. Solaris 2.6: How do I install SUNWcar/Core Architecture, (Root)

10. Solaris 2.6 install - UNIX partitions *newbie*

11. Installing Solaris 2.6 on drive with existing DOS partitions

12. Solaris 2.6 vold having problems with Pioneer DRM-604X CDROM Magazine changer

13. I am having a problem with sort on a solaris 2.6 box using ksh