Sun Ultra 10 System and solarix 8

Post by Decoding.INF » Sat, 05 Oct 2002 17:52:30

hi i have just got a sun ultra 10 system brand new nwever used just powered
it up and let it run through its bits selected soloris version 8 and things
when i was entering the network information i had a power cut now it boots
ok to the window where u enter your user name and password, i entered in
root as the user name but i dont know the default password can any one help
or where can i get the original cd's that would of been used to to a clean
install and re set it up if i have to do this thanks

neil

Post by aryzh » Sun, 06 Oct 2002 05:38:31

> hi i have just got a sun ultra 10 system brand new nwever used just powered
> it up and let it run through its bits selected soloris version 8 and things
> when i was entering the network information i had a power cut now it boots
> ok to the window where u enter your user name and password, i entered in
> root as the user name but i dont know the default password can any one help
> or where can i get the original cd's that would of been used to to a clean
> install and re set it up if i have to do this thanks

IIRC there is no default password, try to ENTER an empty line.
If that doesn't work from graphical login, select a command-line login
from the options menu.

After you succeed with login, you can use the "sys-unconfig" command from shell
to force the system to ask you for all parameters (network, password etc.)
once again.

Sun Ultra 10 System and solarix 8

Post by Hansel & Grete » Mon, 07 Oct 2002 09:35:55

Meaning of "You need any CD's" evades me. But again, I am your little
English-challenged friend. And I always thought it was Solaris - so better
clear out that sticky substance from under that CAPS LOCK key. (Yes,
Reverend apparently does use an Intel-powered Win2K-running Pee-sea).

> > snap snap snap >

> You don't need the "original cd's [sic]", my giddy cross-posting young
> friend.  You need any CDs.  By that I mean that you don't have to boot
> with SOLARIS 8 CDs to fix SOLARIS 8.  All you have to do is boot into
> any version of SOLARIS that will mount your root partition.  You can
> download the latest version of SOLARIS from "www.sun.com" for free.  All
> you need is the software 1 of 2 disk.  Burn that onto a CD and then do
> "boot cdrom" at the "ok" prompt.  After that, mount "/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0"
> to "/a" and edit "/a/etc/shadow" to remove the root password.  Also edit
> "/a/etc/default/login" to change "PASSREQ=YES" to "PASSREQ=NO".  Then
> reboot your SUN, login as root with no password and take it from there.

> Hope this helps,
> Don

> --
> ***********************      You a bounty hunter?
> * Rev. Don McDonald   *      Man's gotta earn a living.
> * Baltimore, MD       *      Dying ain't much of a living, boy.
> ***********************             "Outlaw Josey Wales"

Sun Ultra 10 System and solarix 8

Post by Chris Lawrenc » Tue, 08 Oct 2002 20:16:01

[newsgroups trimmed]

> hi i have just got a sun ultra 10 system brand new nwever used just powered
> it up and let it run through its bits selected soloris version 8 and things
> when i was entering the network information i had a power cut now it boots
> ok to the window where u enter your user name and password, i entered in
> root as the user name but i dont know the default password can any one help
> or where can i get the original cd's that would of been used to to a clean
> install and re set it up if i have to do this thanks

There is no "default password".  If you can't log in you need to obtain
a Solaris CD and boot from it into single user mode, mount your root
partition and edit the shadow file to remove the root password.  Then
boot as normal, log in as root and run sys-unconfig to set it up
cleanly.  The select a good root password and, optionally, password the
PROM to prevent somebody else doing what you just did.  If you password
the PROM, do it slowly and carefully and don't forget the password.

--
Regards,
Chris Lawrence

Post by EMY-L » Tue, 08 Oct 2002 20:43:19

> hi i have just got a sun ultra 10 system brand new nwever used just powered
> it up and let it run through its bits selected soloris version 8 and things
> when i was entering the network information i had a power cut now it boots
> ok to the window where u enter your user name and password, i entered in
> root as the user name but i dont know the default password can any one help
> or where can i get the original cd's that would of been used to to a clean
> install and re set it up if i have to do this thanks

> neil

The password should be the same as the username

Post by David Michael » Wed, 09 Oct 2002 03:26:50

> hi i have just got a sun ultra 10 system brand new nwever used just powered
> it up and let it run through its bits selected soloris version 8 and things
> when i was entering the network information i had a power cut now it boots
> ok to the window where u enter your user name and password, i entered in
> root as the user name but i dont know the default password can any one help
> or where can i get the original cd's that would of been used to to a clean
> install and re set it up if i have to do this thanks

> neil

You can always boot single user to change the password Hit "Stop +a" and
type "boot -single" at the OK prompt..

When it finishes type passwd and do what it says... type exit to change
the runlevel

--
David Michaels

Post by Rich Tee » Wed, 09 Oct 2002 04:44:55

> You can always boot single user to change the password Hit "Stop +a" and
> type "boot -single" at the OK prompt..

You still need to know the root password to get into single user
mode (and it's "boot -s").

--
Rich Teer

President,
Rite Online Inc.

Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

1. Clone Sun Ultra IIi boxes better than Ultra 5/10?

I really don't understand all this: Sun Microelectronics makes the AX
system boards utilizing the Ultra IIi CPUs, with Ultra-Wide SCSI,
10/100 MB ethernet, up to 1G RAM support, 512k cache, 2MB on board
VRAM and many goodies built-in, but Sun doesn't sell boxes based on
the AX system boards!

Instead, it sells these Ultra 5/10 boxes with silly EIDE drives!

However, many Sun clone makers, utilizing "SUN" system boards,
are making all Ultra IIi based systems (300 Mhz to start), and
some even come in the familar Pizza box (used by SS5/20s) and still
holding two internal HDs (SCSI UW).

Why is Sun doing this?  I like real Sun machines, and have seen
how well Sun does its services/warranties (never disappointed so
far), but the Ultra 5/10 just turn me off.  I am really looking
at these clones closely these days.

Any comments from Suners?

Regards,

Chin Fang

2. I need a LOW-RES modline for XFree86

3. Ultra-10 / SUN Pengiun / Solaris 10

4. Q: What tools to use?

5. CD Writer problems Plextor24/10/40A on a SUN ultra 10

6. Solaris: file recovery from corrupted disk

7. Sun Sparc Ultra 10 and Sony / Sun GDM-20D10

8. Booting an AIX box

9. Sun Ultra/Solarix 2.x ip address change

10. Large IDE-Disks on SUN Ultra 10

11. How do I make a sun ultra 10 with sol 9 hot swappable?

12. Problem with Sun PCi on Ultra 10

13. Sun Jave 1.2 Release 6 (Early Access) crashes on Ultra 10/360