problems configuring shared memory facility and semaphores facility

Post by Casper H.S. D » Fri, 08 Sep 1995 04:00:00

>            set shmsys:shminfo_shamax=8388608
>            set shmsys:shminfo_shmmni=400
>            set shmsys:shminfo_shmseg=15
>            set semsys:seminfo_semmns=100
>            set semsys:seminfo_semmni=100
>    After editing, I did a 'touch' to reconfigure the kernal and an 'init
>6' to reboot the machine.  There was no appearent change in the system and the
>messages returned by 'ipcs' reported for both shared memory and semaphores
>that "facility no in system".

I suppose I needs to add this to the FAQ.

Anyway, semaphores aren't loaded until needed.  Ipcs is broken in that
it gives info on whether a system is loaded or not, not whether it
is available.  If you use them, you'll find the semaphores are there.

Casper
--
Casper Dik - Network Security Engineer - Sun Microsystems
This article is posted from my guest account at the University

Opinions expressed here are mine (but you're welcome to share them with me)

problems configuring shared memory facility and semaphores facility

Post by Andrew Gabri » Sat, 09 Sep 1995 04:00:00

Quote:

>    After editing, I did a 'touch' to reconfigure the kernal and an 'init
> 6' to reboot the machine.  There was no appearent change in the system and the
> messages returned by 'ipcs' reported for both shared memory and semaphores
> that "facility no in system".

They are loaded first time they are used whilst the system is running.

If you *really* want to load them then (as root):

     modload misc/ipc
     modload sys/shmsys
     modload sys/semsys
     modload sys/msgsys

which will then make the ipcs command work, but serves no other
useful purpose since it's done automatically if and when required.

Very many functions in the Solaris kernel work this way, which is
why it is never necessary to rebuild the kernel when you change
your system's hardware or software requirements.

--

1. Shared memory facility & Solaris 2.3

Hi,

I need to know how shared memory facility can be enabled under Solaris
2.3.   I have added include entry for sys/shmsys in /etc/system file
and rebooted the machine,  but ipcs reports Shared memory is not
installed.  Is there something I am missing?

Thanks for any replies,

--Mehregan

2. Parsing The Command Line

3. shared memory facility

4. newbie question

5. Semaphore facility not in System ??

6. Signal functions in Solaris 2.3

7. semaphore facility inactive

8. SVGAText and UltraFont

9. wintern: toward a shared desktop web cache facility

10. Question of lsf (load sharing facility)

11. How to configure the 'semaphore' and 'shared memory'?

12. logger/syslogd problem - it does log my local.* facilities?!?!

13. syslog facilities problem