quotas on a filesystem

Post by Someon » Thu, 11 Apr 2002 18:22:49

Hello,

I have a productive web server on which I would like to enable quotas, I
have added "rq" to the mount options in /etc/vfstab but I need to enable
it. Is that possible without unmounting and remounting the partion ?? Or
maybe a quick remount ?

Regards

quotas on a filesystem

Post by Andrew Smar » Fri, 12 Apr 2002 01:53:50

>>Hello,

>>I have a productive web server on which I would like to enable quotas, I
>>have added "rq" to the mount options in /etc/vfstab but I need to enable
>>it. Is that possible without unmounting and remounting the partion ?? Or
>>maybe a quick remount ?

>>Regards

> No.  You need to shutdown the web server, unmount the filesystem, and
> remount it with quotas enabled.

No need to remount. Just use the quotaon command.

A. Smart

quotas on a filesystem

Post by Andrew Gabri » Fri, 12 Apr 2002 06:21:09

Quote:> Hello,

> I have a productive web server on which I would like to enable quotas, I
> have added "rq" to the mount options in /etc/vfstab but I need to enable
> it. Is that possible without unmounting and remounting the partion ?? Or
> maybe a quick remount ?

There's a good step-by-step description of enabling quotas in
the system admin manual.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Consultant Software Engineer

quotas on a filesystem

Post by Chris Thomps » Fri, 12 Apr 2002 06:48:10

>> > No.  You need to shutdown the web server, unmount the filesystem, and
>> > remount it with quotas enabled.

>> No need to remount. Just use the quotaon command.

>So quotad (or some such daemon) deals with overquotas rather than the
>filesystem itself?

There is no daemon: all quota computations are done inside the kernel.
quotaon(1m) just does the necessary ioctl(Q_QUOTACTL) to turn it all on.

But this certainly isn't all you need to do to turn on quotas for a running
system: you will need to run quotacheck(1m) first to set the usages, and
of course there should be no [relevant] filing system activity between the
quotacheck and the quotaon if you want the numbers to end up right.

And whether you reboot or not, you will need to actually set some quotas
first, using edquota(1m) if you have nothing better. The OP didn't mention
this step at all.

Chris Thompson
Email: cet1 [at] cam.ac.uk

1. Quotas : Format of quota.users & quota.groups ?

Hi,

I am running Linux-FT with kernel 1.2.13 and quota patches. I would like
to enable quotas in order to control memory usage by apps (I'm trying to
debug an app that keeps grabbing all system memory, preventing me from
typing kill).

In order to enable quotas, files called quota.users and quota.groups
need to be present in the root directory. The 'edquota'
program is supposed to be used to set these up, but it simply invokes vi,
expecting the user to know the file format. The man pages say that
the file format is 'inscrutable', but don't actually describe it anywhere!

Anyone know the correct format ?

Thanks in advance,

Steve

| Steve Mottram                                                             |
|                                                                           |
| University Department of Anaesthesia  |    Internal Phone : LRI 5694      |
| Leicester Royal Infirmary             |    Phone  :  +44 (0)116 258 5291  |
| Leicester LE1 5WW                     |    Fax    :  +44 (0)116 285 4487  |

| Witty bit deleted due to budget cuts.                                     |

2. CGI & Perl Problem

3. Quotas over NFS mounted filesystem?

4. Arrrgh! -- Trident 3DImage 9750 Card with XWindows.

5. filesystem quota problem!!!!!!!!

6. LIL, SCSI, AHA-2920A, TMC-3260

7. Setting quotas on filesystem and restricted shell

8. 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01

9. UFS filesystem quotas in LDAP?

10. newbie, quick way to create a quota on an NFS exported filesystem - HELP

11. quotas and 4K/8K filesystems

12. Veritas Filesystem and quotas

13. Setting quota on an NFS filesystem