Solaris 2.7 and kerberos v.5

Post by johnny.karls.. » Tue, 28 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Hello.
Im about to connect a Solaris 2.7 client to a windows 2000
proffesional server and the connection is supposed to be done via
kerberos v5 authentication.
Is it possible?
Does Solaris 2.7 have Kerberos 5 built in?
If it has, is it the whole version or do I need to ad something?
Thanks
Johnny

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Solaris 2.7 and kerberos v.5

Post by palowod » Tue, 28 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> Hello.
> Im about to connect a Solaris 2.7 client to a windows 2000
> proffesional server and the connection is supposed to be done via
> kerberos v5 authentication.
> Is it possible?
> Does Solaris 2.7 have Kerberos 5 built in?
> If it has, is it the whole version or do I need to ad something?

Solaris 8 has Kerberos 5.  Be warned that the default Windows 2000
is not configured to authenticate standard MIT version 5 kerberos.
Microsoft has a document on their support site on how to enable
the MIT standard kerberos.

----Bob

--
Bob Palowoda The Solaris x86 Corner http://fishbutt.fiver.net

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Solaris 2.7 and kerberos v.5

Post by johnny.karls.. » Tue, 28 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> > Hello.
> > Im about to connect a Solaris 2.7 client to a windows 2000
> > proffesional server and the connection is supposed to be done via
> > kerberos v5 authentication.
> > Is it possible?
> > Does Solaris 2.7 have Kerberos 5 built in?
> > If it has, is it the whole version or do I need to ad something?

> Solaris 8 has Kerberos 5. Be warned that the default Windows 2000
> is not configured to authenticate standard MIT version 5 kerberos.
> Microsoft has a document on their support site on how to enable
> the MIT standard kerberos.

> ----Bob

> --
> Bob Palowoda The Solaris x86 Corner http://fishbutt.fiver.net

Is there a way to use Solaris 2.7 to use Kerberos v5?
Is Solaris 8 relised yet?

johnny

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Solaris 2.7 and kerberos v.5

Post by palowod » Tue, 28 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> Is there a way to use Solaris 2.7 to use Kerberos v5?
> Is Solaris 8 relised yet?

I don't think Sun backported the Kerberos v5 to Solaris 7.
By the time your done patching you might has well upgraded.
Yes Solaris 8 has been shipping if you notice the usenet
news articles people have been already installing it.

---Bob

--

Post by Alan Coopersmi » Tue, 28 Mar 2000 04:00:00

>Is there a way to use Solaris 2.7 to use Kerberos v5?

You can get the kerberos source off the net and try to build &
configure it yourself.  (I don't know where it's available outside
the US though - try asking in the comp.protocols.kerberos newsgroup.)

You can also ask your Sun rep about getting a copy of the Sun Enterprise
Authentication Mechanism (SEAM) for Solaris 7.  See this URL for some
info:
        http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/7/faqs/#seam

Quote:>Is Solaris 8 relised yet?

Yes.

Univ. of California at Berkeley         http://soar.Berkeley.EDU/~alanc/

Solaris 2.7 and kerberos v.5

Post by bln » Tue, 28 Mar 2000 04:00:00

:> > Hello.
:> > Im about to connect a Solaris 2.7 client to a windows 2000
:> > proffesional server and the connection is supposed to be done via
:> > kerberos v5 authentication.
:> > Is it possible?
:> > Does Solaris 2.7 have Kerberos 5 built in?
:> > If it has, is it the whole version or do I need to ad something?
:>
:> Solaris 8 has Kerberos 5. Be warned that the default Windows 2000
:> is not configured to authenticate standard MIT version 5 kerberos.
:> Microsoft has a document on their support site on how to enable
:> the MIT standard kerberos.
:>
:> ----Bob
:>
:> --
:> Bob Palowoda The Solaris x86 Corner http://fishbutt.fiver.net
:>

: Is there a way to use Solaris 2.7 to use Kerberos v5?

Yes, I have been using MIT Kerberos 5 with both Solaris 2.6
and 2.7 for a long time. The source code build flawless on
both versions with the GCC compiler. (http://gcc.gnu.org)
Sun Workshop compiler with trial licence also works perfect.

How to get it:
Go to http://ftpsearch.ntnu.no and type 'krb5-1.1.1.*.tar.gz' in the
search field and hit enter. The distribution is splitted up
in tree parts, one containing the base and one containing
the crypto parts and one for the documentation.

krb5-1.1.1.src.tar.gz
krb5-1.1.1.crypto.tar.gz
krb5-1.1.1.doc.tar.gz

You can also get it from here:
ftp.eos.hokudai.ac.jp/pub/network/security/kerberos5/

And the homepage are at:
http://web.mit.edu/kerberos/www/

- bln

Solaris 2.7 and kerberos v.5

Post by Steve Dy » Tue, 28 Mar 2000 04:00:00

>You can also ask your Sun rep about getting a copy of the Sun Enterprise
>Authentication Mechanism (SEAM) for Solaris 7.  See this URL for some
>info:
>    http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/7/faqs/#seam

This comes with the Server version of Sol 7 11/99 for SPARC,
and I can vouch that its client utilities interoperate with
MIT KRB5, since I use its kinit and Kerberized telnet and
rlogin to connect to MIT.
--
Steve Dyer