How to change IP address/hostname of NIS+ root master server?

How to change IP address/hostname of NIS+ root master server?

Post by kos.. » Wed, 04 Dec 1996 04:00:00

The subject says it all. How to do it without reinstalling NIS+ from scratch,
keeping all the tables?

-k

How to change IP address/hostname of NIS+ root master server?

Post by Brian Srok » Thu, 05 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Look at the command nistbladm.  For instance, say I have the following
entry in my NIS+ host table (named hosts.org_dir):
firepit.hell.below      firepit.hell.below      666.666.666.66
To change this entry I would use the following commands:

# First get the table column names
niscat -o hosts.org_dir
# Change the entry (to cloud.heaven.above at 777.777.777.77)
nistbladm -m cname=cloud.heaven.above name=cloud.heaven.above \
addr=777.777.777.77 [cname=firepit.hell.below,                \
name=firepit.hell.below, addr=666.666.666.66], hosts.org_dir

Hope this helps.  -Brian Sroka

How to change IP address/hostname of NIS+ root master server?

Post by Luis Pachec » Thu, 05 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Hello

 I hope Brian does not get upset wiht me :-)

 I would not recomend that you do Brians recomendation at all.
 I did this about a year ago (change IP address/hostname of NIS+ root
master serve) and it is not pretty.

 It is a 2 day process (At least what I did). I even remember
having to create a virtual le so that the chage would be smooth.

 There is a handount on how to do this (I think you can get from Sun)
I can look in my pile of junk to see if I find it.

YOu alos have to consider your clients and their TTL.
Alos the servers info (including replicas) is not just in the hosts
table.

Well you don;t have to belive what I say and you can try Brians
suggestion but I really do not recomend it.

I will try to find the info and let you know

Luis

Quote:> Brian wrote
> Look at the command nistbladm.  For instance, say I have the following
> entry in my NIS+ host table (named hosts.org_dir):
> firepit.hell.below      firepit.hell.below      666.666.666.66
> To change this entry I would use the following commands:

> # First get the table column names
> niscat -o hosts.org_dir
> # Change the entry (to cloud.heaven.above at 777.777.777.77)
> nistbladm -m cname=cloud.heaven.above name=cloud.heaven.above \
> addr=777.777.777.77 [cname=firepit.hell.below,                \
> name=firepit.hell.below, addr=666.666.666.66], hosts.org_dir

> Hope this helps.  -Brian Sroka

Merrill *                           voice: (212) 449-6131
4 World Financial Center, 11th Floor
New York, NY 10285

Post by Mario Klebsch DG1 » Fri, 06 Dec 1996 04:00:00

>Look at the command nistbladm.  For instance, say I have the following
>entry in my NIS+ host table (named hosts.org_dir):
>firepit.hell.below  firepit.hell.below      666.666.666.66
>To change this entry I would use the following commands:
># First get the table column names
>niscat -o hosts.org_dir
># Change the entry (to cloud.heaven.above at 777.777.777.77)
>nistbladm -m cname=cloud.heaven.above name=cloud.heaven.above \
>addr=777.777.777.77 [cname=firepit.hell.below,                \
>name=firepit.hell.below, addr=666.666.666.66], hosts.org_dir

Be carefull with this! The IP Address of all NIS+ servers are stored
 in the NIS_COLD_START fileand at various other places. If the IP
address is changed and the NIS_COLD_START file ist not updated on all
clients, they will loose contact the the NIS+ server. The address of
the server is probably in the directory objects, too. When you do a
"niscat -o org_dir", you will see, that the addresses are stored in
the directory object. I would suggest to move the NIS+ service of the
machine to "reIP", then to change it's IP address and then to move the
service back to the machine with the new addr. You can use nismkdir -m
to change the master server of a directory. you can use nisrmdir -s to
remove a replica from a directory.

But you should not be in a hurry. These changes only propagate through
the entire NIS+ system, if the original objects TTL has expired. It is
cached in too many places. Be sure that the NIS_COLD_START file is
updated (it is done automagicly, probably every 12 hours??) before
changing the old master server. Using snoop to verify, the old master
is out of the game is a good idea.

I hope, this helps.

P.S. It is essential to backup all NIS+ stuff before doing
anything. Using nisaddent -d to dump the NIS+ tables to files is an
essential backup, too.

PP.S. Just changing the host entry is not enough, to change the IP
address in solaris. There are other places besides NIS+, where a copy
of the IP address is stored. AFAIK, sys-unconfig is the way to
go. (Casper will probably know this better)

73, Mario
--

Institut fuer Robotik und Prozessinformatik der TU Braunschweig
Hamburger Strasse 267, 38114 Braunschweig, Germany

How to change IP address/hostname of NIS+ root master server?

Post by Ray W. Hiltbran » Tue, 10 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Check out 3.7 in NIS+ FAQ. at:
http://www.eng.auburn.edu/users/rayh/solaris/NIS+_FAQ.html

It is a long drawn out process.

        -- Ray

--

Engineering Network Services
Auburn University     http://www.eng.auburn.edu/~rayh/rayh.html

1. Changing IP address of NIS+ Root Master.

..
        Is it possible to change the IP address of the NIS+ master server without
corrupting the NIS+ tables? If not, then is this because of DES encryption? So
if I disable DES encryption whould this no longer be a problem? Any and all
help is appreciated... Thank You!

                        Amr Hambazaza

2. Firewall

3. How to change NIS+ root master IP address?

4. C for Unix

5. How to change IP address on NIS+ master server?

6. Manual Backups to Disk Array

7. Changing IP-adrress om NIS+ root master server

8. tclX, tcl-dp, and Slackware 3.0

9. Changing IP address of NIS+ root server

10. NIS+ Master - Change IP Address problems

11. changing IP address of NIS+ Master and Replica

12. changing nis+ root master server name

13. how to change root password on NIS+ master server