Migration Strategy - E250 Solaris 2.6 -> V210 Solaris 9

Migration Strategy - E250 Solaris 2.6 -> V210 Solaris 9

Post by Andy Franc » Fri, 04 Mar 2005 10:52:27

We are planning on migrating a legacy application (which we have been
planning on replacing "this year" for about the last 4 years :-) to
newer hardware in an effort to reduce maintenance costs and the
percieved or real risk of using "old hardware".

The application is based on Informix and it's 4GL language.  We are not
confident that we have access to all the correct installation media to
re-install on a new server, and a lot of the knowledge of how the
application environment ties together has been lost over time.

My first instinct is to do an in place upgrade from Solaris 2.6 to
Solaris 9 on the E250, then backup/restore to the V210.  However I am
concerned that the hardware class support for the newer V210 may not be
present after the upgrade.

Can anybody make a recommendation on how best to migrate an entire OS
and application environment when you don't have the documentation to
support a re-install?

TIA,
Andy.

Migration Strategy - E250 Solaris 2.6 -> V210 Solaris 9

Post by Gary Mil » Fri, 04 Mar 2005 11:09:59

Quote:>The application is based on Informix and it's 4GL language.  We are not
>confident that we have access to all the correct installation media to
>re-install on a new server, and a lot of the knowledge of how the
>application environment ties together has been lost over time.
>My first instinct is to do an in place upgrade from Solaris 2.6 to
>Solaris 9 on the E250, then backup/restore to the V210.  However I am
>concerned that the hardware class support for the newer V210 may not be
>present after the upgrade.

I'd do it by building a completely new system on the V210.  That way,
you can confirm that all of the pieces are in place before putting it
into production and retiring the old machine.  You should also condsider
Solaris 10 for the V210.

In more detail, first install the OS on the V210.  Then, install as
much of the application as you can using the media and instructions
that you have.  Then, test it to see how much works.  Finally, examine
the configuration of the E250 to discover what parts of the
installation there were not documented.  Copying files over, or making
the appropriate changes should enable the application to work correctly.

The final step could be a simple as exchanging the hostnames.

--
-Gary Mills-    -Unix Support-    -U of M Academic Computing and Networking-

Post by Andy Franc » Fri, 04 Mar 2005 13:30:47

>>The application is based on Informix and it's 4GL language.  We are not
>>confident that we have access to all the correct installation media to
>>re-install on a new server, and a lot of the knowledge of how the
>>application environment ties together has been lost over time.

>>My first instinct is to do an in place upgrade from Solaris 2.6 to
>>Solaris 9 on the E250, then backup/restore to the V210.  However I am
>>concerned that the hardware class support for the newer V210 may not be
>>present after the upgrade.

> I'd do it by building a completely new system on the V210.  That way,
> you can confirm that all of the pieces are in place before putting it
> into production and retiring the old machine.  You should also condsider
> Solaris 10 for the V210.

> In more detail, first install the OS on the V210.  Then, install as
> much of the application as you can using the media and instructions
> that you have.  Then, test it to see how much works.  Finally, examine
> the configuration of the E250 to discover what parts of the
> installation there were not documented.  Copying files over, or making
> the appropriate changes should enable the application to work correctly.

> The final step could be a simple as exchanging the hostnames.

Thanks Gary.  I must admit my first instincts were probably based on the
easiest/laziest options!  Probably as good a time as any to weed out the
chafe collected over the decades - even if we do only run for one more year.

Andy.

1. Sparc10 solaris 2.5 to Sparc20 solaris 2.6 migration question

subject says it all. I got into this game late. I have a customer running a
Sparc10 with Solaris 2.5 (patch levels woefully behind) who decided the
performance of the Oracle 7x database on it would be increased by moving it
over to a Sparc20 running dual SM71s and Solaris 2.6. They bought all the
H/W then engaged me to do the work. Yikes.

Anyway, my question is: can anyone suggest the audit I might make of the
sparc10 to ensure I can replicate user accounts, host name, etc.. on the new
Sparc20 so i can snapshot the database, copy it over, then go testing? I
realize this is a wide-open question, but I'm not a Solaris guru. My *nix
experience is mostly with SCO and HP-UX...

Any help GREATLY appreciated and email replies preferred as I don't get to
to USENET as much as I'd like...

Jack

_______________
Jack M. Estes, II
Prinicple Consultant
E-SWAT/STS Technologies, Inc.
(314)961-2862 office

2. Trantor 160 SCSI controller supported?

3. >>> -- Need help with ZapfDingbats font on Solaris 2.6 -- <<<

4. Corel Liunx??

5. Solaris 2.6 -> Solaris 8 upgrade

6. HELP - LPR problems (Redhat can't figure it out)

7. Solaris 2.5 ---> Solaris 2.6 -- won't let me upgrade

8. Alias File and DNS question

9. Upgrading from Solaris 2.6 -> Solaris 7 or 8

10. 2.5.1 -> 2.6 & DiskSuite [Was: Solaris 2.6 & Solstice DiskSuite 4.0]

11. can't read Solaris 2.6 x86 hard disk on Solaris 2.6 Ultra-1 ?!?

12. Upgrade from Solaris 2.6 with Volume Manager 2.6 to Solaris 8 with Volume Manager 3.2

13. Migration to Enterprise 3.5.1 on Solaris 2.6