Sharing a 4mm Tape drive WITHOUT /.rhosts or hosts.equiv

Post by Ian Zimmerma » Thu, 15 Apr 1999 04:00:00

>  No /.rhosts file allowed.  No /etc/hosts.equiv allowed, hence no
> rsh, or rlogin.

[..snip..]

Quote:>  Is this possible to do WITHOUT hosts.equiv(rsh) or /.rhosts(rlogin)
> capability??

ssh

--
Ian Zimmerman
Lightbinders, Inc.

Post by Chris Thomps » Thu, 15 Apr 1999 04:00:00

>No /.rhosts file allowed.  No /etc/hosts.equiv allowed, hence no rsh, or
>rlogin.  Obviously can't "tar cvf <servername>:/dev/rmt/0 ./<localfilename>"
>as access isn't allowed without a /.rhosts file. I'm working at a new site
>that has these security measures in place that previously I've never had to
>deal with. I've added the following to the server. /etc/dfs/dfstab share -F
>nfs -o rw=<client> /dev/rmt/0 /etc/dfs/sharetab /dev/rmt/0 - nfs rw=<client>
>(ran "/etc/rc3.d/S15nfs.server start" to force read on dfstab) I've added the
>following on the client. /etc/auto_master /-  /etc/auto_direct
>/etc/auto_direct /<local mount point>  <server name>:/dev/rmt/0 This works
>with filesystem but doesn't seem to with devices.

And you'll wreck your systems if you keep on trying - see a recent thread
on the subject. You can't use NFS to get access to remote devices.

Quote:>Is this possible to do WITHOUT hosts.equiv(rsh) or /.rhosts(rlogin)
>capability??

Are you allowed to have *any* .rhosts file - say for a mildly unprivileged
account that still has write access to the tape device? You don't have to
use root, after all.

If not, then perhaps you should investigate rexec(3n), or whatever you are
allowed to use. You'll have to find *some* way of running a process on the
host to which the tape device is attached.

Chris Thompson
Email: cet1 [at] cam.ac.uk

Post by Timothy J. L » Thu, 15 Apr 1999 04:00:00

|>  No /.rhosts file allowed.  No /etc/hosts.equiv allowed, hence no
|> rsh, or rlogin.
|
|[..snip..]
|
|>  Is this possible to do WITHOUT hosts.equiv(rsh) or /.rhosts(rlogin)
|> capability??
|
|ssh

Does Solaris ufsdump use rsh or does it call rcmd directly?
Wouldn't it be a bit harder to arrange for ssh in the latter
case?

Post by Acacio Cruz » Fri, 30 Apr 1999 04:00:00

> No /.rhosts file allowed.

I remember that several of my old systems at Oracle had a remote tar
daemon that would allow remote tar ops using a device specified like:

I think they were Data General and AT&T SysV R4 systems. Never saw it again
in my Solaris boxes. :(

--

Senior Network Architect        Personal WWW site: http://www.acacio.com
Dynamac Corp.   PGP Public Key: http://www.acacio.com/~acruz/Acacio.pgp