Email aliasing MX

Post by Dan Anderso » Fri, 13 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> I've set up websites for customers e.g.
>   www.customer.co.uk
> on a Netra (Solaris 2.5)
> and now they want email of the format

> I can handle the redirect using /etc/aliases but how do I set up email for

> I guess its to do with MX records but I don't know where to begin..

You don't need MX records.  You need so set up the machine "customer.co.uk"
(which could be the same box as "www.customer.co.uk") to:

1. have sendmail (or whatever MTA you use) recognize itself as the
alias "customer.co.uk" That's handled in /etc/sendmail.cf for sendmail.
The template file /etc/mail/sendmail.cf is copied to /etc before editing.

2. Add an alias for "whatever" to /etc/aliases E.g.,

(you already know this, but I mention it for completeness.)

3. Be sure to "recompile" your sendmail.cf (sendmail -bz)
and /etc/aliases (sendmail -bi).

Specifics above vary to the version of sendmail you're using.

-

Email aliasing MX

Post by Alain Parie » Sat, 14 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> Hi,

> I've set up websites for customers e.g.
>   www.customer.co.uk
> on a Netra (Solaris 2.5)

> and now they want email of the format

> I can handle the redirect using /etc/aliases but how do I set up email for

> I guess its to do with MX records but I don't know where to begin..

        Hi,

        you're right, you have to add a MX record in the customer.co.uk
zone in your DNS. Something like that :

                IN MX           5 mail.aol.com

mail.aol.com.

        Hope this help.

        Bye,
                Alain.

Email aliasing MX

Post by Romulo P Cal » Sun, 15 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

I don't think it has to do with MX records, you could achieve this
using the "virtusertable" feature of sendmail.

R?mulo