Importance of "SuperCache" on a timeshare system ???

Importance of "SuperCache" on a timeshare system ???

Post by George Lindho » Wed, 12 Jul 1995 04:00:00

I'm currently looking into buying some new hardware for the Vancouver Freenet.
Once of the questions that has cropped up is "how much difference would the
1Mb second level cache" make on a timesharing system running a limited set of
programs? Since the instruction cache would be flushed for almost every
process swap would it be worth the extra money?

If you have a feel for what difference having the cache vs. not
having it I would like to hear about your experiences. Thaks

   George

--
George Lindholm                                  phone:    (604) 822-4375
University Computing Services, UBC               fax:      (604) 822-5116

V6T 1Z2