Ftp Server Configuration

Post by Carl Doa » Mon, 16 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Is there a way to change the default transfer mode on Solaris's
FTP server from ascii to binary?

TIA,
Carl

Ftp Server Configuration

Post by Carl Doa » Mon, 16 Oct 2000 04:00:00

> Is there a way to change the default transfer mode on Solaris's
> FTP server from ascii to binary?

> TIA,
> Carl

I think I may have to be more specific.  We have users manually ftping
into our system.  They are supposed the binary transfer for all files,
but we are suspecting that they are not.  To make sure that they do
every time, I want to change the default setting of the ftp server from
ascii to binary.  This way, everytime the ftp to us, they don't have to
remember to switch to binary mode.

TIA,

Carl

Ftp Server Configuration

Post by Logan Sh » Mon, 16 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>I think I may have to be more specific.  We have users manually ftping
>into our system.  They are supposed the binary transfer for all files,
>but we are suspecting that they are not.  To make sure that they do
>every time, I want to change the default setting of the ftp server from
>ascii to binary.  This way, everytime the ftp to us, they don't have to
>remember to switch to binary mode.

I don't think Sun's ftpd supports this (although I may be wrong), but
proftpd's documentation claims that it supports this with the
DefaultTransferMode directive.

And, if you have enough ftp traffic that you're worrying about this,
you might appreciate others features of proftpd as well.

Anyway, http://www.proftpd.net/ is the URL.

  - Logan

Ftp Server Configuration

Post by Dave Anderso » Mon, 16 Oct 2000 04:00:00

The client software dictates the mode (ascii or binary) of transfers when it
starts up.  This is not a server option, and cannot be set on the server.
Definitively a client function.  I assume the PCs running DOS/Windows are
involved.  Some GUI driven FTP packages allow you to set the defaults to
binary.

Quote:> Is there a way to change the default transfer mode on Solaris's
> FTP server from ascii to binary?

> TIA,
> Carl

Ftp Server Configuration

Post by Carl Doa » Mon, 16 Oct 2000 04:00:00

> The client software dictates the mode (ascii or binary) of transfers when it
> starts up.  This is not a server option, and cannot be set on the server.
> Definitively a client function.  I assume the PCs running DOS/Windows are
> involved.  Some GUI driven FTP packages allow you to set the defaults to
> binary.

> > Is there a way to change the default transfer mode on Solaris's
> > FTP server from ascii to binary?

> > TIA,
> > Carl

Thanks Dave, but I will have to disagree with you on this one.  I have a box
(Linux) that I use to connect to different hosts.  When I connect to an HP box,
it transfers binary, by default.  When I connect to the Solaris boxes, it does
ascii transfers by default.  In both instances, I just log on and do a get -
nothing fancy or too involved.  If this were client dependent, then how are the
two Unixes seeing different transfer modes?

Carl

Ftp Server Configuration

Post by Carl Doa » Mon, 16 Oct 2000 04:00:00

> >I think I may have to be more specific.  We have users manually ftping
> >into our system.  They are supposed the binary transfer for all files,
> >but we are suspecting that they are not.  To make sure that they do
> >every time, I want to change the default setting of the ftp server from
> >ascii to binary.  This way, everytime the ftp to us, they don't have to
> >remember to switch to binary mode.

> I don't think Sun's ftpd supports this (although I may be wrong), but
> proftpd's documentation claims that it supports this with the
> DefaultTransferMode directive.

> And, if you have enough ftp traffic that you're worrying about this,
> you might appreciate others features of proftpd as well.

> Anyway, http://www.proftpd.net/ is the URL.

>   - Logan

Thanks Logan.  I saw several posts in the past where you have suggested different
servers.  Perhaps that is the route we may have to go.   Traffic varies from one
transfer an hour to several hundreds a minute.  I was hoping not have to change
the base line configuration for the systems, but it looks like we may have to.

Carl

Ftp Server Configuration

Post by Logan Sh » Mon, 16 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>I was hoping not have to change
>the base line configuration for the systems, but it looks like we may have to.

While it isn't trivial, it doesn't have to be that painful a thing to
do that.  At least on Solaris 8 (and probably earlier, but I'm not
sure), the FTP daemon is in its own set of packages (SUNWftpr and
SUNWftpu) which you should be able to just "pkgrm".  If you make a
proftpd package after building it, switching a host from one server to
the other can be as simple as a couple of "pkgrm"s and "pkgadd"s.

  - Logan

Ftp Server Configuration

Post by marvi » Tue, 17 Oct 2000 08:40:07

> > The client software dictates the mode (ascii or binary) of transfers when it
> > starts up.  This is not a server option, and cannot be set on the server.
> > Definitively a client function.  I assume the PCs running DOS/Windows are
> > involved.  Some GUI driven FTP packages allow you to set the defaults to
> > binary.

> > > Is there a way to change the default transfer mode on Solaris's
> > > FTP server from ascii to binary?

> > > TIA,
> > > Carl

> Thanks Dave, but I will have to disagree with you on this one.  I have a box
> (Linux) that I use to connect to different hosts.  When I connect to an HP box,
> it transfers binary, by default.  When I connect to the Solaris boxes, it does
> ascii transfers by default.  In both instances, I just log on and do a get -
> nothing fancy or too involved.  If this were client dependent, then how are the
> two Unixes seeing different transfer modes?

> Carl

I think most of linuxes has a FTP server which has a default of AUTO
detect transfer.

Ftp Server Configuration

Post by Carl Doa » Tue, 17 Oct 2000 09:09:58

> > >I think I may have to be more specific.  We have users manually ftping
> > >into our system.  They are supposed the binary transfer for all files,
> > >but we are suspecting that they are not.  To make sure that they do
> > >every time, I want to change the default setting of the ftp server from
> > >ascii to binary.  This way, everytime the ftp to us, they don't have to
> > >remember to switch to binary mode.

> > I don't think Sun's ftpd supports this (although I may be wrong), but
> > proftpd's documentation claims that it supports this with the
> > DefaultTransferMode directive.

> > And, if you have enough ftp traffic that you're worrying about this,
> > you might appreciate others features of proftpd as well.

> > Anyway, http://www.proftpd.net/ is the URL.

> I concurr.  SUN's ftpd doesn't support a system-wide feature to set
> the default transfer mode.  Users must do so on their own.  wu-ftpd
> also has this approach.  If you have an untrained user community,
> you can either find a technology solution (e.g. proftpd or modifying
> wu-ftpd to default to binary) or train your users.

> --
> Michael Vilain
> Certified Advanced Rolfer(r)

> http://www.vilain.com

Thanks Michael.  I will look into getting new software for an ftp server.
I don't know if we could get it installed or not.  As for the users, there
are documents detailing how they should do the transfer.  Unfortunately, the
users don't belong to the company I am with.  They are employees of a company
we work with.  Thanks for the input though.

Carl

1. FTP server configuration - Need Help!

Hi All,

I have a RedHat v5.2 installation running on a 486-66 box with the WU FTP
daemon installed.

I have configured the system so that a client of mine can have FTP R/W
access to his own directory (/home/ftp/client) using a user ID that has been
created for him.

I have two questions -

1) How do I restrict this user from telnet access to the system (I only want
the user to be able to FTP to the system to  upload/download files).

2) How do I limit the user's ability to CD to directorys other than his own
(ideally the user would  be able to FTP to the site and read/write/delete
files in his "own" directory but could not CD out).

Thanks in advance for any assistance that you may be able to offer.

Regards,

Ken Burgess

2. upgrading redhat 6.1 to 6.2

3. ftp server configuration - Me too...

4. Trouble installing Netscape 3.x

5. FTP server configuration on Solaris 5.7

6. Serial port oddities

7. FTP server configuration?

8. Apache 1.1.1 permissions probs

9. WASHINGTON UNIVERSITY FTP SERVER - Configuration under Solaris2.3

10. Wu-FTP Server configuration

11. for help of ftp server configuration

12. ftp-server timeout configuration

13. proftpd - ftp server - need help with configuration