can't print out line feed and carriage return (control character) on a network printer.

can't print out line feed and carriage return (control character) on a network printer.

Post by sk » Sat, 01 Dec 2001 11:54:45

Hi All,

I have config. a print queue on solaris 8 (x86 ver), but all the result is
wrong (I just type something (text) by vi), because all the line feed and
carriage return not function on the output, did anyone how to make the
control character can print out like produce by the printer driver on m$
windows (because I just using lpr to connect to the network printer, and
there have no driver support on unix) ?

Thanks alot
SK

can't print out line feed and carriage return (control character) on a network printer.

Post by Paul Gres » Sat, 01 Dec 2001 16:12:23

/usr/bin/unix2dos

do a man on "unix2dos

Paul

Post by Greg Andre » Sun, 02 Dec 2001 05:21:35

>I have config. a print queue on solaris 8 (x86 ver), but all the result is
>wrong (I just type something (text) by vi), because all the line feed and
>carriage return not function on the output, did anyone how to make the
>control character can print out like produce by the printer driver on m$
>windows (because I just using lpr to connect to the network printer, and
>there have no driver support on unix) ?

What manufacturer and model printer is it?  Does the printer have
a network card, or is it connected to a print server box?

If it's connected to a print server box, what is the manufacturer
and model of that print server box?

  -Greg
--

I have a map of the United States that's actual size
                 -- Steven Wright

can't print out line feed and carriage return (control character) on a network printer.

Post by sk » Mon, 03 Dec 2001 01:59:57

It's not a printer, ...mm.......it's a network copier through a controller
server and the controller is a black box, if you plug the monitor, it's just
only a blank screen. I have success connect a print queue on solaris by port
919 and I also testing on a lexmar? printer by a mini print server,  all the
result of them is same (all the line feed and carriage return not function
on the output).

Thanks alot
SK

Post by Greg Andre » Tue, 04 Dec 2001 03:35:01

>> What manufacturer and model printer is it?  Does the printer have
>> a network card, or is it connected to a print server box?
>> If it's connected to a print server box, what is the manufacturer
>> and model of that print server box?

>It's not a printer, ...mm.......it's a network copier through a controller
>server and the controller is a black box, if you plug the monitor, it's just
>only a blank screen. I have success connect a print queue on solaris by port
>919 and I also testing on a lexmar? printer by a mini print server,  all the
>result of them is same (all the line feed and carriage return not function
>on the output).

Manufacturer and model of the device that prints (doesn't matter
whether it's a printer or a copier)?

Manufacturer and model of the "mini print server"?

  -Greg
--

I have a map of the United States that's actual size
                 -- Steven Wright

can't print out line feed and carriage return (control character) on a network printer.

Post by sk » Tue, 04 Dec 2001 19:51:55

On the lexmar_ side using lexmar_ MarkNetPro1 print server. And the copier
side, it's using their provide server(using a PC), it's a black box design.

Post by Greg Andre » Wed, 05 Dec 2001 06:51:46

>On the lexmar_ side using lexmar_ MarkNetPro1 print server.

That's Lexmark rather than lexmar_, isn't it?

Here's the configuration:

  /usr/sbin/lpadmin  -p printer-name  -s 12.34.56.78\!printer-name_CR

Replace "printer-name" with the name you want to use for the printer
in your lp or lpr commands.  Be sure to keep the "_CR" appended to
the printer name after the ! character.  Replace "12.34.56.78" with
the IP address or hostname of the printer's network interface.

Or, you can get the MarkVision software from www.lexmark.com.

Quote:

>And the copier side, it's using their provide server(using a PC),
>it's a black box design.

Their PC software is willing to accept a text file from a Unix
computer (through the Unix printing protocol), but it won't
convert the line endings to the kind that the printer needs?
That's very bad.

The simplest thing you can do to compensate for the broken PC
software is to put your Unix text files through unix2dos before
giving them to lp:

  unix2dos -ascii /etc/hosts | lp -d copier

Configuring a Solaris print queue to compensate for the broken
PC software is somewhat more complex.  You'll need to have the
current patches for your Solaris machine.  You'll also need to
know the PC's IP address or hostname, which I'll write as
"12.34.56.78" in the example below.  You'll also need to know
the name that the PC software uses for the printer, which I'll
write as "pc-printer-name" in the example below:

  Create the file /etc/lp/fd/prn-text.fd and make it look like this:

    Input types: simple
    Output types: prn-text
    Printer types: any
    Printers: any
    Filter type: slow
    Command:  /usr/bin/unix2dos -ascii  2>>$ERRFILE

  Save the file and exit the text editor.

  /usr/sbin/lpfilter  -f prn-text  -F /etc/lp/fd/prn.text.fd

  lpadmin  -p solaris-printer-name  -v /dev/null  -m netstandard
  lpadmin  -p solaris-printer-name  -T unknown  -I prn-text,postscript
  lpadmin  -p solaris-printer-name  -o data-file-type=l
  lpadmin  -p solaris-printer-name  -o protocol=bsd
  lpadmin  -p solaris-printer-name  -o dest=12.34.56.78:pc-printer-name
  enable  solaris-printer-name
  accept  solaris-printer-name

The argument "-I prn-text,postscript" uses an uppercase I as the
option letter, not a lowercase L.  The argument "-o data-file-type=l"
has a lowercase L as its last letter.  Many newsreaders use fonts
that make it hard to tell the differentce between those two letters.

This configuration will automatically run text files through the unix2dos
command before sending them to the PC.

  -Greg
--

I have a map of the United States that's actual size
                 -- Steven Wright

can't print out line feed and carriage return (control character) on a network printer.

Post by sk » Thu, 06 Dec 2001 11:32:59

Thanks alot your help. I have try the setting both the copier & the lexmark
printer. The result is very good.
Thank you very much.

> >On the lexmar_ side using lexmar_ MarkNetPro1 print server.

> That's Lexmark rather than lexmar_, isn't it?

> Here's the configuration:

>   /usr/sbin/lpadmin  -p printer-name  -s 12.34.56.78\!printer-name_CR

> Replace "printer-name" with the name you want to use for the printer
> in your lp or lpr commands.  Be sure to keep the "_CR" appended to
> the printer name after the ! character.  Replace "12.34.56.78" with
> the IP address or hostname of the printer's network interface.

> Or, you can get the MarkVision software from www.lexmark.com.

> >And the copier side, it's using their provide server(using a PC),
> >it's a black box design.

> Their PC software is willing to accept a text file from a Unix
> computer (through the Unix printing protocol), but it won't
> convert the line endings to the kind that the printer needs?
> That's very bad.

> The simplest thing you can do to compensate for the broken PC
> software is to put your Unix text files through unix2dos before
> giving them to lp:

>   unix2dos -ascii /etc/hosts | lp -d copier

> Configuring a Solaris print queue to compensate for the broken
> PC software is somewhat more complex.  You'll need to have the
> current patches for your Solaris machine.  You'll also need to
> know the PC's IP address or hostname, which I'll write as
> "12.34.56.78" in the example below.  You'll also need to know
> the name that the PC software uses for the printer, which I'll
> write as "pc-printer-name" in the example below:

>   Create the file /etc/lp/fd/prn-text.fd and make it look like this:

>     Input types: simple
>     Output types: prn-text
>     Printer types: any
>     Printers: any
>     Filter type: slow
>     Command:  /usr/bin/unix2dos -ascii  2>>$ERRFILE

>   Save the file and exit the text editor.

>   /usr/sbin/lpfilter  -f prn-text  -F /etc/lp/fd/prn.text.fd

>   lpadmin  -p solaris-printer-name  -v /dev/null  -m netstandard
>   lpadmin  -p solaris-printer-name  -T unknown  -I prn-text,postscript
>   lpadmin  -p solaris-printer-name  -o data-file-type=l
>   lpadmin  -p solaris-printer-name  -o protocol=bsd
>   lpadmin  -p solaris-printer-name  -o dest=12.34.56.78:pc-printer-name
>   enable  solaris-printer-name
>   accept  solaris-printer-name

> The argument "-I prn-text,postscript" uses an uppercase I as the
> option letter, not a lowercase L.  The argument "-o data-file-type=l"
> has a lowercase L as its last letter.  Many newsreaders use fonts
> that make it hard to tell the differentce between those two letters.

> This configuration will automatically run text files through the unix2dos
> command before sending them to the PC.

>   -Greg
> --

> I have a map of the United States that's actual size
> -- Steven Wright

1. Using 'tr' to replace Carriage Return & Line Feed.

Hello Everyone,

AIX 4.3.3

I have file that contains a bunch of carriage return immediately
followed by a line feed. How can I replace these with a space using
the tr command? I tried the following, but none of them works. I
searched this group & found solutions using sed, but didn't come
across anything using tr:

tr '\r\n' '\020' < old > new
tr '\015\012' '\020' < old > new

2. Out of memory errors !!!

3. Concatenate space due to carriage returns and new line characters into one line

4. Drivers for HP Colorado 5Gb Internal (Travan)?

5. "carriage return" and "line feed" encoding

6. FTP, Which is most secure for Linux 2.2 kernel?

7. lp problem - Line Feed instead of Carriage Return

8. Printing from Windows using Samba - FF at eoj

9. Replacing line feed with carriage return

10. remove carriage return line feed using tr

11. Problem: Command substitution adds an extra carriage return character on return.

12. carriage return at the end of printer line

13. carriage return problem -> append specific line to previous line