Solaris 9 installed with 32 & 64 bit supports but boots in 32 bit mode

Solaris 9 installed with 32 & 64 bit supports but boots in 32 bit mode

Post by Mian A. Maji » Mon, 14 Oct 2002 07:02:34

Hi every one,

I have installed Solaris 9 on a Sun Sparc E220R. When I installed, it asked
me whether you want 32 bit or 64/32 bit support. I select 32/64 bit support
and I was assuming that it will boot in 64 bit, but when system booted after
the installation, it was in 32 bit mode.

Can I force the system to boot in 64 bit mode or there is any other way ...

Please advise.

Regards and thanks in advance for the advise.

Abdul Majid

Post by Tom Hamilto » Mon, 14 Oct 2002 09:14:26

> Hi every one,

> I have installed Solaris 9 on a Sun Sparc E220R. When I installed, it
> asked me whether you want 32 bit or 64/32 bit support. I select 32/64 bit
> support and I was assuming that it will boot in 64 bit, but when system
> booted after the installation, it was in 32 bit mode.

> Can I force the system to boot in 64 bit mode or there is any other way

> Please advise.

> Regards and thanks in advance for the advise.

> Abdul Majid

Make sure the 64 bit binaries are installed
pkginfo | grep "64-bit"
If it doesn't return a list of 64 bit packages, you will have to install
them.

If they are then

From the ok prompt (system halted) you can type

setenv  boot-file  kernel/sparcv9/unix

Also insure that the key on the server is not in diagnostic mode.  Put it in
run (locked) mode.

Solaris 9 installed with 32 & 64 bit supports but boots in 32 bit mode

Post by Mian A. Maji » Tue, 15 Oct 2002 04:10:18

Hi every one,

Thanks for your advise. I have run the command "isainfo -kv" and the system
show "Sparcv9 32 bit". I have'nt changed any of the parameters in the
OpenBoot PROM but I see a link in the /usr to 32bit libraries rather than
64bit. I see there are two directories, one  for 32bit and sencond 64bit.

Regards

A. Majid

> > Hi every one,

> > I have installed Solaris 9 on a Sun Sparc E220R. When I installed, it
> > asked me whether you want 32 bit or 64/32 bit support. I select 32/64
bit
> > support and I was assuming that it will boot in 64 bit, but when system
> > booted after the installation, it was in 32 bit mode.

> > Can I force the system to boot in 64 bit mode or there is any other way

> > Please advise.

> > Regards and thanks in advance for the advise.

> > Abdul Majid

> Make sure the 64 bit binaries are installed
> pkginfo | grep "64-bit"
> If it doesn't return a list of 64 bit packages, you will have to install
> them.

> If they are then

> From the ok prompt (system halted) you can type

> setenv  boot-file  kernel/sparcv9/unix

> Also insure that the key on the server is not in diagnostic mode.  Put it
in
> run (locked) mode.

1. Solaris 8 in 64 bit mode or 32 bit mode?

Hi

I'm sorry if this has been posted before but I just started reading this
newsgroup.

I was wondering if there was a way to see if Solaris is running in 64-bit
or 32-bit mode.

The problem I have is that I've installed Solaris 8 on a Sparc Enterpris
220R,
and I put n in the installation procedure when asked if I wanted 64-bit
support.

Still I get Generic 64-bit when i boot the machine, and from pkginfo I see
that
both 64-bit and 32-bit version is installed.

I've installed Solaris 8 on Sun Ultra 5 also and I don't have that problem
there.
(it didn't install 64-bit version and I get Generic 32-bit when booting)

Anyone know how I can find out if the machine is running 64-bit or 32-bit
mode?

Regards,
Torkel

2. Which FAQ/HOWTO tells how to setup HP 682c?

3. How do I switch from 32-bit mode to 64-bit mode?

4. Does Poweroff acitually work?

5. Solaris 2.x :- How to tell if & configure 64-bit vs 32-bit

6. Is there a new DNS exploit?

7. Starting a 64 bit Sol8 Machine in 32 bit mode

8. tcsh

9. 64-bit Solaris 7: wasn't Solaris 2.6 also 32-bit?

10. difference in operating system interface in 32 bits and 64 bits mode

11. sun compiler 64 bit mode mixed up with 32 bit ?

12. Dowgrade from 64-bit support to 32-bit

13. performance of runing 32/64 bit program in 64 bit kernel.