Memory monitoring tools?

Post by Ken » Sat, 05 Feb 2005 06:15:51

Are there any tools for Solaris (7 - x86) to show what processes are
using how much memory?  I know top, but I want something more
comprehensive.  Sometimes swap gets really used up, but I can't figure
out what's using all the memory.

Thanks.

-Ken

Memory monitoring tools?

Post by Fran » Sat, 05 Feb 2005 06:18:48

> Are there any tools for Solaris (7 - x86) to show what processes are
> using how much memory?  I know top, but I want something more
> comprehensive.  Sometimes swap gets really used up, but I can't figure
> out what's using all the memory.

> Thanks.

> -Ken

Take a look at the Symbel interpreter (google RICHPse) and/or memtool:
http://www.solarisinternals.com/si/tools/memtool/index.php

Greetz,
Frank

Memory monitoring tools?

Post by Ken » Sat, 05 Feb 2005 23:30:00

> Take a look at the Symbel interpreter (google RICHPse) and/or
> memtool: http://www.solarisinternals.com/si/tools/memtool/index.php

Thanks, Frank.  I'll check these out.

-Ken

Memory monitoring tools?

Post by Darren Dunha » Sun, 06 Feb 2005 02:32:05

> Are there any tools for Solaris (7 - x86) to show what processes are
> using how much memory?  I know top, but I want something more
> comprehensive.  Sometimes swap gets really used up, but I can't figure
> out what's using all the memory.

I'd probably start with /usr/bin/ps -e -o vsz,pid,comm | sort -n

Then look at the big ones.  Of course virtual size can be misleading.
If you have 12 oracle processes all taking up 2GB, that's probably 12
oracle processes *sharing* a large chunk of memory.

If you have a suspect, you can use 'pmap -x pid' to get a breakdown on
shared versus private memory.
--

Senior Technical Consultant         TAOS            http://www.taos.com/

1. Good memory monitoring tools!

Hi,

We are looking for a tool that could do the memory usage monitoring on both
system and individual process levels. We know sar, vmstat, sadc, etc.. will give
us system level while lots of others, like Sentinel, will do the process level,
and ipcs can tell us shared memory...., but is there a product can do all this?
Or its just we're asking too much?

Any pointers are highly appreciated!!

Jack x 472

--

              / \ / \ / \
               | .   . |

2. How big a Partition?

3. memory monitoring tool

4. Problem with CxPatch

5. tools for monitoring memory usage

6. glibc-2 / libg++ /pthread grief...

7. Is there any tool that monitors real memory of each process ?

8. Port forwarding on RedHat 6.2 ?????

9. Monitor Tool & Memory Map

10. Memory usage - any monitoring tools ?

11. memory lacks / tools for memory debugging searched

12. Sun workshop memory monitor does not detect all memory leak

13. Tools Tools Tools ... wanted