forgot root password

Post by Jeff Lack » Wed, 10 Jan 2001 13:58:45

I finally got a second monitor for an old system (sparc2
running Solaris 2.6) and I cant remember the root password
for the life of me.  Anyonw know how to wipe it out and start
over?  SunOS used to let you just reboot as single user but
Solaris has protected that (which is a good idea, just not
for me at the moment ;)

thanks
Jeff

forgot root password

Post by Torsten Loo » Wed, 10 Jan 2001 17:06:08

hello.

boot from the solaris 2.6 cd! Mount the root partion!
edit the /etc/system file then it will work... ;-)

Best regards
Torsten

Quote:> I finally got a second monitor for an old system (sparc2
> running Solaris 2.6) and I cant remember the root password
> for the life of me.  Anyonw know how to wipe it out and start
> over?  SunOS used to let you just reboot as single user but
> Solaris has protected that (which is a good idea, just not
> for me at the moment ;)

> thanks
> Jeff

forgot root password

Post by Pierre Pasch » Wed, 10 Jan 2001 17:43:56

Haven't tested :

boot cdrom                       # whithout install !!
mount /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0 /mnt     # mount your disk root partition
chroot /mnt passwd               # or vi /etc/shadow and put a crypt you know

Peter

forgot root password

Post by Jeff Lack » Wed, 10 Jan 2001 17:54:02

Forgot to tell you, I dont have a cdrom in the system.  The OS was
loaded over the network at work at one time.

Isnt there a jumper on the mother board or something easy? hmmm

And no, I dont work there anymore ;)

TIA
Jeff

: Haven't tested :

: boot cdrom                       # whithout install !!
: mount /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0 /mnt     # mount your disk root partition
: chroot /mnt passwd               # or vi /etc/shadow and put a crypt you know

: Peter
: --
: ==================================================================

forgot root password

Post by Tor Slettne » Wed, 10 Jan 2001 19:38:26

    Jeff> Forgot to tell you, I dont have a cdrom in the system.  The
    Jeff> OS was loaded over the network at work at one time.

    Jeff> Isnt there a jumper on the mother board or something easy?

Jumper on the motherboard to reset the root password?  Think, man.
That would require OS-specific knowledge in hardware.  Obviously not.

You _can_, however, "boot net", as long as you have a bootparam server
available.  The easiest way to do that is to use another Solaris
machine w/CD-ROM drive, insert the Solaris install CD, and execute a
couple of the supplied scripts (forgot which ones, maybe
modify_install_server and add_install_client).  You will, among other
things, be prompted for information that goes into /etc/ethers:

        08:00:20:xx:yy:zz  hostname

where the first column is the ethernet address of the client machine,
and 'hostname' is resolvable by the server.

-tor

forgot root password

Post by Martin Pau » Wed, 10 Jan 2001 20:50:14

> Forgot to tell you, I dont have a cdrom in the system.  The OS was
> loaded over the network at work at one time.

> And no, I dont work there anymore ;)

If this means that the machine is not in a LAN with another Sun
(to put an install machine on the other machine allowgin booting
your machine over the network), there are these options:

- borrow a CD drive. it must be SCSI, and allow a blocksize of 512 bytes.
  All Sun drives (of course) and some others (eg. Plextor AFAIK) support
  this.

- remove the harddisk and attach it to another Sun. mount it, and fix
  /etc/shadow.

- if you can log in to the machine as a normal user, or the machine
  is accessible via the net after a default boot, you could try to
  find an exploit to "hack" it. If it hasn't been patched for some time
  I assume it shouldn't be too hard.

hth, mp.
--
                         Martin Paul | Systems Administrator

Liechtensteinstrasse 22, A-1090 Wien | Tel: 01 4277 38803
        http://www.par.univie.ac.at/ | Fax: 01 4277 9388

1. forgot root password

Hi all,

Somehow, I managed to type in the root password wrong the same way twice in a row.

Unfortunately, I can't do it a third time.  :-)

This is a brand new mandrake install.  And my first time using Linux.

Should I just install again?
Or can I do something with the "rescue" boot floppy to fix this?

Thanks,
Bert Douglas

2. compiling error ,using execvp

3. Forgotten Root Password - Help!

4. How to change "hostname" (Beginners question)

5. Forgotten root password!!!

6. Disk icon labels?

7. FreeBSD 3.2 - Forgot Root Password !!

8. scsibadblk,fsck READ BLOCK fix

9. forgotten root password

10. I forgot root password

11. Forgot root password

12. HELP!! - Recover from forgotten ROOT password

13. Forgot root password