Possible to use remote AIX DLT drive?

Post by Adrian Davi » Wed, 29 Aug 2001 18:58:26

Is it possible to use ufsdump to backup/restore to/from a remote DLT drive
connected to an IBM RS6000/AIX?

I've tried the obvious, and I get the following error:-
DUMP: Estimated 108534 blocks (53.00MB).
DUMP: Lost connection to remote host.
DUMP: Bad return code from dump: 1

...has anybody got this to work?

Many Thanks,
   =Adrian=

Post by Axel Neuman » Wed, 29 Aug 2001 19:23:28

> Is it possible to use ufsdump to backup/restore to/from a remote DLT drive
> connected to an IBM RS6000/AIX?

> I've tried the obvious, and I get the following error:-
> DUMP: Estimated 108534 blocks (53.00MB).
> DUMP: Lost connection to remote host.
> DUMP: Bad return code from dump: 1

> ...has anybody got this to work?

> Many Thanks,
>    =Adrian=

Hi,

I am not sure if AIX supports Sun ufsdump. One way that could work would be
to pipe the output of ufsdump into a dd that is running on the AIX. This dd
feeds the DLT drive.

HTH,

Axel Neumann

Post by Joerg Schilli » Wed, 29 Aug 2001 20:01:39

>Is it possible to use ufsdump to backup/restore to/from a remote DLT drive
>connected to an IBM RS6000/AIX?

>I've tried the obvious, and I get the following error:-
>DUMP: Estimated 108534 blocks (53.00MB).
>DUMP: Lost connection to remote host.
>DUMP: Bad return code from dump: 1

>...has anybody got this to work?

AIX has an outdated version of the /etc/rmt remote tape server.

The only free recent implementaion can be found in the 'star'
packet. Get the latest alpha as recently large file support has been
added:

        ftp://ftp.fopus.gmd.de/pub/unix/star/alpha/

P.S.: the rmt server from 'star' adds other nice things like a security
set up that allows you to define which files/nodes may be accessd from
where. As it is noticable faster than the rmt server that comes with Solaris
it makes sense to use it everywhere.

--

Post by Joerg Schilli » Wed, 29 Aug 2001 20:09:20

>>Is it possible to use ufsdump to backup/restore to/from a remote DLT drive
>>connected to an IBM RS6000/AIX?

>>I've tried the obvious, and I get the following error:-
>>DUMP: Estimated 108534 blocks (53.00MB).
>>DUMP: Lost connection to remote host.
>>DUMP: Bad return code from dump: 1

>>...has anybody got this to work?

>AIX has an outdated version of the /etc/rmt remote tape server.

>The only free recent implementaion can be found in the 'star'
>packet. Get the latest alpha as recently large file support has been
>added:

>    ftp://ftp.fopus.gmd.de/pub/unix/star/alpha/

Sorry, should of course be:

        ftp://ftp.fokus.gmd.de/pub/unix/star/alpha/

--

Post by Joerg Schilli » Wed, 29 Aug 2001 22:30:24

>#  >Is it possible to use ufsdump to backup/restore to/from a remote DLT drive
>#  >connected to an IBM RS6000/AIX?
>#  >
>#  >I've tried the obvious, and I get the following error:-
>#  >...
>#  >...
>#  >DUMP: Estimated 108534 blocks (53.00MB).
>#  >DUMP: Lost connection to remote host.
>#  >DUMP: Bad return code from dump: 1
>#  >
>#  >...has anybody got this to work?
>#
>#   AIX has an outdated version of the /etc/rmt remote tape server.
>#
>#   The only free recent implementaion can be found in the 'star'
>#   packet. Get the latest alpha as recently large file support has been
>#   added:
>#
>#           ftp://ftp.fopus.gmd.de/pub/unix/star/alpha/

>Sure, if you want to test his crap, and are willing

... Don't believe a guy who just showed us that he is unable to learn how
to make a useful "way of living" out of a set of programming rules.

Knowing a big number of facts doesn't make an expert.....

--

1. Possible to use AIX DLT for Solaris ufsdump?

Is it possible to use Sun Solaris ufsdump to backup/restore to/from a remote
DLT drive
connected to an IBM RS6000/AIX?

I've tried the obvious, and I get the following error:-
DUMP: Estimated 108534 blocks (53.00MB).
DUMP: Lost connection to remote host.
DUMP: Bad return code from dump: 1

...has anybody got this to work?

Many Thanks,
   =Adrian=

2. How to print under ghostscript/ghostview/lpr?

3. Using "r" option of gnutar on AIX w/remote DAT drive

4. netscape font munged in RedHat 5.0

5. DLT drives with SCO 3.2.4.2; possible?

6. Problem with Linux(Suse) and Laptop

7. AIX drivers for IBM 7205 35Gb DLT tape drive

8. Removing Linux Partition

9. Resolution for DLT 7000 drive on AIX 4.2.1

10. How to configure DLT tape drive for AIX

11. Using DLT, Exabyte & LTO drives under Solaris 8

12. Anyone using a DLT tape drive?

13. Re. AIX support for remote tape units Re: AIX support for remote tape units