Disable print banners when printing to remote BSD printer

Disable print banners when printing to remote BSD printer

Post by Joe Able » Wed, 07 Feb 1996 04:00:00

How do I disable print banners when printing to a remote BSD printer
server? I can do it by doing an lp -o nobanner when I print, but I
really want to do is make nobanner a default, so that a banner is only
ever printed if -o banner is specified to lp.

Can't seem to find this documented anywhere... :)

Joe

--

                                     tel +1 (519) 679-1620, fax 679-1583

Post by Alex Sau-Leung L » Thu, 15 Feb 1996 04:00:00

: How do I disable print banners when printing to a remote BSD printer
: server? I can do it by doing an lp -o nobanner when I print, but I
: really want to do is make nobanner a default, so that a banner is only
: ever printed if -o banner is specified to lp.

Try modify the file /usr/lib/lp/model/standard.  Change in the file the line

      nobanner="no"  -->  nobanner="yes"

regards,
Alex

Disable print banners when printing to remote BSD printer

Post by Vijay Gi » Thu, 22 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>How do I disable print banners when printing to a remote BSD printer
>server? I can do it by doing an lp -o nobanner when I print, but I
>really want to do is make nobanner a default, so that a banner is only
>ever printed if -o banner is specified to lp.

>Can't seem to find this documented anywhere... :)

In /etc/lp/interfaces, look for your printername and edit the file.
Change the nobanner="no" to a nobanner="yes" and save.

I will be putting all sorts tips and tricks on my solaris page soon.

--
Vijay Gill                         |The (paying) customer is always right.

http://www.gl.umbc.edu/~vijay      | Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get
These are my opinions only.        | sucked into jet engines.

1. Solaris 2 printing non-ASCII files to remote BSD printer

I recently installed Solaris 2.1 (my first Solaris 2.x installation), and I've
been unable to get printing to work completely as it did under SunOS 4.n.m.  I
can print plain text, but I can't print man pages or other non-ASCII files.

The machine is now a Solaris 2.1 client of a SunOS 4.1.2 printer server running
TranScript 2.1.

I've tried setting up the Solaris 2.1 configuration both with and without the
PostScript filters and as a "simple", "PS", and "any" printer type.  If I "lp"
a plain text file, everything works fine; if I do "man -t foo" or something
else with a non-ASCII content type, the request either just sits in the queue
forever, or I get a mail message saying that the request was "canceled by the
administrator".  I've looked in the man pages, the AnswerBook printing and
transition guides, and even a recent Sun Technical Bulletin article on Solaris
2 printing.  None of these sources indicated that things wouldn't work as
expected, or what to do when they didn't work properly.

Can anyone shed light on the problem and, hopefully, its solution?

                                       Greg Jumper
                                       TRW Signal Processing Facility

2. makefs or newfs

3. Remote printing by modem is 'disabling' the printers!

4. ethernet card drivers

5. remote printer won't print non plain text print jobs.

6. VIRTUAL HOST setup

7. Configuring print queue using SAM for printing to a remote printer

8. LILO and Solaris

9. Printing to remote laser printers / print filters

10. Disable a print banner

11. disable print banner in sol2.4

12. Disabling printing banner pages

13. How to print banner page *before* print job?