fast/wide/diff sun controller on sparc 20? help gurus

fast/wide/diff sun controller on sparc 20? help gurus

Post by JCarr378 » Mon, 13 May 1996 04:00:00

if you have used the sparc 20 with the sun Fast/wide/diff controller, what
is the secret to get it to run. is there a patch or something.

we have about 10 extra micropolis drives to sell, and our client cannot
get his controller to come to life.
1. is there a patch
2. is ther a bug
3. is it just boot -r from cdrom and the driver comes to life
4. is it only in solaris 2.5xxxx
help gurus as i need to sell 4 gig FWD drives
 PowerStar Inc. 800-209-5556     SCSI, UPS Technologies, Solaris
                          Built to order

Post by Andreas Karr » Mon, 13 May 1996 04:00:00

>if you have used the sparc 20 with the sun Fast/wide/diff controller, what
>is the secret to get it to run. is there a patch or something.

I'd guess you are talking about the DWIS/S fast/diff/16bit SCSI SBus card.

Quote:>we have about 10 extra micropolis drives to sell, and our client cannot
>get his controller to come to life.
>1. is there a patch

Yes. Solaris 2.4: esp and isp jumbo patch, ID 102509-04
     Solaris 2.3: kernel jumbo patch, ID 101318-xx
No patch I know of needed for Solaris 2.5.

Quote:>2. is ther a bug

Yes, and (under 2.4) also bugs that are not solved with the above patch.

Quote:>3. is it just boot -r from cdrom and the driver comes to life

Yes. Although I don't see a reason to boot from CD if Solaris is
already installed on an internal disk.
Try "probe-scsi-all" at the "OK" prompt to find out if the system
sees board and disks from the boot prom level.
Try "boot -rv" and look if Solaris, too, discovers the board and loads
the "isp" driver.

Quote:>4. is it only in solaris 2.5xxxx

No, DWIS/S is supported from Solaris 2.3 up, although mine works much
better under 2.5 than it did under 2.4 or 2.3.

Under 2.4 and 2.3, certain disks give problems that are somehow coupled
with "tagged command queueing". You can disable tagged command queueing
for all SCSI busses (2.3) or the isp driver alone (2.4):

  Sol 2.4:  echo "scsi-options=0x37f;" >> /kernel/drv/isp.conf
  Sol 2.3:  echo "set scsi_options = 0x37f" >> /etc/system

 (note: it's "scsi-options" in isp.conf, but "scsi_options" in /etc/system)

and reboot. This will degrade performance, but that's probably preferable to
not running or crashing every now and then.

The hex numbers for the SCSI options are documented in
/usr/include/sys/scsi/conf/autoconf.h and possibly in the "isp" man
page.

+---------------
  Andi Karrer, Institute for Electronics, ETH Zuerich, Switzerland
"Further, experience leads me to be very sceptical concerning the effectiveness
 of writing  warning messages into a programme's documentation or output."

fast/wide/diff sun controller on sparc 20? help gurus

Post by Jim Quin » Tue, 14 May 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>if you have used the sparc 20 with the sun Fast/wide/diff controller, what
>is the secret to get it to run. is there a patch or something.

>we have about 10 extra micropolis drives to sell, and our client cannot
>get his controller to come to life.
>1. is there a patch
>2. is ther a bug
>3. is it just boot -r from cdrom and the driver comes to life
>4. is it only in solaris 2.5xxxx
>help gurus as i need to sell 4 gig FWD drives

Check the OB PROM revision on your DWIS and the ROM revision on the
Micropolis parts; cross check both of these with SUN and Micropolis for
compatibility and supportability.  SUN did have a big problem with 4
Gbyte drives a while ago - you could be suffering from history!!

Quote:> PowerStar Inc. 800-209-5556     SCSI, UPS Technologies, Solaris

--
Jim Quinn

Post by Vladimir Gabrieles » Wed, 15 May 1996 04:00:00

>>if you have used the sparc 20 with the sun Fast/wide/diff controller, what
>>is the secret to get it to run. is there a patch or something.

>>we have about 10 extra micropolis drives to sell, and our client cannot
>>get his controller to come to life.
>>1. is there a patch
>>2. is ther a bug
>>3. is it just boot -r from cdrom and the driver comes to life
>>4. is it only in solaris 2.5xxxx
>>help gurus as i need to sell 4 gig FWD drives

Which fast/wide/diff card? the Swift card (f/w/d and ethernet) from sun
comes with a CD providing the need it drivers. Not sure is your card
requiers it.

vlad
--
Vladimir Gabrielescu     NBCS Student System Programmer          1-908-445-5545

  "We've secretly replaced this Vorlon with Folger's Crystals. Let's see if
                                anyone notices."

: