Yet another flash archive + SVM post

Post by jonha.. » Fri, 13 Jan 2006 05:07:34

Sorry for yet another SVM + flash post, but I still have yet to find a
definite answer to this question.

I have a simple two disk setup with disk mirroring via SVM.

I just want to flash this machine and restore it to another system as
painlessly as possible.

For the purposes of this exercise, assume that I CANNOT break the
mirror prior to flash archiving. I am looking to simply restore the
data to a new disk minus all the metadb info...I know that SVM won't be
set up properly and I will be taking that as a post-install task. I
would be very happy if I could simply find a way to get that data on
the new machine. I have read some posts about removing or not including
certain files or file snippets in the archive so that the image can be
successfully replicated to the new root disk.

Can anyone shed some light? Thanks

Post by Darren Dunha » Fri, 13 Jan 2006 05:33:14

> For the purposes of this exercise, assume that I CANNOT break the
> mirror prior to flash archiving. I am looking to simply restore the
> data to a new disk minus all the metadb info...I know that SVM won't be
> set up properly and I will be taking that as a post-install task. I
> would be very happy if I could simply find a way to get that data on
> the new machine. I have read some posts about removing or not including
> certain files or file snippets in the archive so that the image can be
> successfully replicated to the new root disk.

Pick your method (flash, ufsdump, dd, whatever..).  Once the data is on
the target system, at a minimum you'll need to update /etc/vfstab to
point to the slices rather than the metadevices, and you'll need to
update /etc/system to remove or comment out the "rootvol" line.

--

Senior Technical Consultant         TAOS            http://www.taos.com/

1. HELP: Jumpstarting with flash archive returns system installation errors

I am installing a jumpstart with flash archive. Jumpstart runs through
the software installation and customization, but failed right after
the archive extraction with a system installation error. I've checked
all the rules, sysidcfg, profiles, dfstab, hosts, bootparam and ethers
files. Where else could have caused these errors?

        Extracted 1036.33 MB (100% of 1036.33 MB archive)
        Extraction complete

Customizing system files
        - Mount points table (/etc/vfstab)
        - Network host addresses (/etc/hosts)

ERROR: Could not copy file (/tmp/root/etc/default/init) to
(/a/etc/default/init)

ERROR: Could not copy file (/tmp/root/etc/device.tab) to
(/a/etc/device.tab)

ERROR: Could not copy file (/tmp/root/etc/hostname.eri0) to
(/a/etc/hostname.eri
0)

ERROR: Unable to copy a temporary file to it's final location

ERROR: System installation failed

2. Windows users migrating to linux, ha

3. installing from flash archives using jumpstart

4. Is DOS necessary for configuration

5. Flash Archive and Veritas Volume Manager

6. 64 meg dimm on Eurone EM-5400V MB

7. flash archives and Jumpstart Questions

8. Apache modules and handlers

9. HELP: Jumpstarting with flash archive returns system

10. Jumpstart with Flash archive

11. Flash archive image installs on S8

12. Flash Archives

13. Creating differential flash archives in S9904 is useless