Difficulty compiling/running PAM on Solaris

Difficulty compiling/running PAM on Solaris

Post by el.. » Fri, 10 Mar 2000 04:00:00

I have been trying for several weeks to get pieces of PAM running on
Solaris SPARC 2.6, gcc 2.8.1.

Back in the mid-80s I did quite a bit of porting from 32-bit BSD to
16-bit Xenix Sys.III (jove, ksh, terminal programs), but have not done
much C programming or porting since the web explosion.

What I really want is the ability to stack a passwd strength checking
module in the passwd manipulation activity.  I have checked deja.com and
found 3 hits to the group of words "pam cracklib solaris".  No one was
reporting success.  The newsserver I use when I am trying to read back
over a couple of months of traffic only had about eight articles in
l.r.pam.

I got pam_cracklib from a Linux installation and was able to port that,
but then I discovered that Solaris 2.6 pam_unix.so does not have the
hooks for stacking pam_cracklib with it.  Specifically it lacks the
use_authtok flag.

I then tried to port pam_unix-new that I got somewhere, and had some
trouble with preprocessor constants having to do with retrying
conversations.  I tried to fake them or bypass the code sections, but
now I get a pam_unix.so lib that segfaults while doing proctable setup I
think.  I cannot truss passwd while it is running, so I run passwd, get
the first prompt, then truss as root from another xterm.

Next I tried compiling the whole Linux-PAM-0.72 ditribution, but even
with I have been trying for several weeks to get pieces of PAM running
[...]

with all the pieces I had to manipulate the order of header inclusions
to get modules to compile.  I was able to successfully compile most of
the modules, but pam_unix.so from this refuses to run, giving a
"Permission denied" error when I call that pam_unix from /etc/pam.conf
and try to run Sun passwd as an ordinary user.  Obviously I cannot get
any truss output for this.  Does anyone know of a distribution of PAM
that will actually compile and run on Solaris 2.6?  Or can someone give
me some clues what I am doing wrong?

--
 R.Stewart(Stew) Ellis, Prof.of Appl.Socl. Informatics  Kettering Univ.

 Flint, MI 48504              Free speech&software /\

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.