Veritas Mirroring (Hot Spare Problems)

Post by Tim Jon » Wed, 12 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Hello Mahmood!

It's my understanding that Veritas will not kick in a hotspare as long as
it can still write to the private region on the disk. I'm not sure how you
would make it swap. I assume the info you got was that it stopped or
offlined a plex.

Tim

Replying to a message of M Akbar to All:

 MA> We use Veritas on our servers and it works great except for
 MA> Hot Spares. Sometimes they work and sometimes they dont!!

 MA> Just this morning a mirror failed on a 10GB mirrored volume(Striped).
 MA> The file system used disks from one controller eg c1t?d?s2 and the
 MA> mirror used disks eg c2t?d?s2. There was at least one hot spare
 MA> available but it didnt kick in.

 MA> Is there anything I have to do to make sure the Hot Spare
 MA> works?

 MA> Any comments? suggestions?

 MA> Thanks

 MA> Mahmood

Bye, Tim!
  --
  | Fidonet: Tim Jones 1:382/107

  |Standard disclaimer: The views of this user are strictly their own.

Veritas Mirroring (Hot Spare Problems)

Post by Aaron Si » Fri, 14 Nov 1997 04:00:00

I'm not sure, but I also think that they fixed this in a later
version on VxVM.  (At least I remember a guy from Veritas telling
me something like that awhile back).

You should be running VxVM version 2.3(from veritas) or 2.4(from
Sun).  (They are the same version, each company just named them
differently.

Aaron

>Hello Mahmood!

>It's my understanding that Veritas will not kick in a hotspare as long as
>it can still write to the private region on the disk. I'm not sure how you
>would make it swap. I assume the info you got was that it stopped or
>offlined a plex.

>Tim

>Replying to a message of M Akbar to All:

> MA> We use Veritas on our servers and it works great except for
> MA> Hot Spares. Sometimes they work and sometimes they dont!!

> MA> Just this morning a mirror failed on a 10GB mirrored volume(Striped).
> MA> The file system used disks from one controller eg c1t?d?s2 and the
> MA> mirror used disks eg c2t?d?s2. There was at least one hot spare
> MA> available but it didnt kick in.

> MA> Is there anything I have to do to make sure the Hot Spare
> MA> works?

> MA> Any comments? suggestions?

> MA> Thanks

> MA> Mahmood

>Bye, Tim!
>  --
>  | Fidonet: Tim Jones 1:382/107

>  |Standard disclaimer: The views of this user are strictly their own.

--
Aaron M. Sims           | Tact, n.
BellSouth.net           |       The unsaid part of what you're

Systems Engineer        | Copywight 1996 Elmer Fudd. All wights wesewved.