When's the next Solaris version coming?

Post by Casper H.S. Di » Fri, 16 Sep 2005 18:01:32

>I'm about to order the Solaris 10 Media kit.  Before I do I'd like to
>make sure a new version of solaris isn't just around the corner.  By
>that I mean a new version coming out within 2-3 months because
>otherwise I'll just wait for the next version to order the media.

What do you mean with a new version?

HW1 is just out but only for specific hardware (Galaxy and such)

U1 is some time away, still.

You could invest in a DVD burner and download the images instead
whenever there's a new release.

Casper
be fiction rather than truth.

Post by Robert Milkowsk » Sat, 17 Sep 2005 00:09:01

> >I'm about to order the Solaris 10 Media kit.  Before I do I'd like to
> >make sure a new version of solaris isn't just around the corner.  By
> >that I mean a new version coming out within 2-3 months because
> >otherwise I'll just wait for the next version to order the media.

> What do you mean with a new version?

> HW1 is just out but only for specific hardware (Galaxy and such)

> U1 is some time away, still.

> You could invest in a DVD burner and download the images instead
> whenever there's a new release.

Or even setup jumpstart server and install Solaris over the net,
so dvd burnenr is not needed :)

--
                                                Robert Milkowski

When's the next Solaris version coming?

Post by greek_philosophi.. » Sat, 17 Sep 2005 00:21:51

Technically it is coming right now.

When it will have come I do not know.

.

Post by Bernd Hau » Tue, 20 Sep 2005 20:28:56

> Technically it is coming right now.
> When it will have come I do not know.

If you want SunOS 5.11 as your uname output, you have to install
SolarisExpress[1].

As S10 is "just out", the two will not differ that much already, so I'd
just install S10, you can always LU when the next release comes along -
in a few years time.

lg, Bernd

[1] Standard Sun disclaimer: Or whatever the name is this week.