Getting gcc 2.7.2 set up on 2.5.1(x86)??

Getting gcc 2.7.2 set up on 2.5.1(x86)??

Post by Adam H. Lewenbe » Tue, 01 Oct 1996 04:00:00

I am trying to get gcc installed on a new Solaris 2.5.1 x86 system. I
downloaded what I thought was the gcc excutable for this platform and
installed it, but when I try to compile a program I get an
installation error that it cannot find 'as'. Is this a program that
comes with the gcc compiler, or is it something that I get somewhere
else?

If there is anyone who has succesfully set up gcc and the gcc C
library on a Solaris 2.5.1 x86 system, I would very much appreciate
hearing from them.

Thanks, Adam H. Lewenberg
--
University of Illinois at Champaign-Urbana, Dept. Of Mathematics

Post by Antonino Vital » Sat, 05 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> I am trying to get gcc installed on a new Solaris 2.5.1 x86 system. I
> downloaded what I thought was the gcc excutable for this platform and
> installed it, but when I try to compile a program I get an
> installation error that it cannot find 'as'. Is this a program that
> comes with the gcc compiler, or is it something that I get somewhere
> else?

> If there is anyone who has succesfully set up gcc and the gcc C
> library on a Solaris 2.5.1 x86 system, I would very much appreciate
> hearing from them.

I have it running on a Solaris 2.5 sparc system. Make sure you have
all the necessary pacagkages installed. 'as' should be in the SUNWsprot
package. Also, any programmer cluster package would be helpful such as
the include and library files. And following the intructions in the
INSTALL file should work. Also make sure you paths are in place
including '/usr/ccs/bin' which is where 'as' should be.
--

Electronic Data Systems                         Phone: (810)-265-0434
MS 5184, 800 Tower Drive, Troy, MI 48098        Fax: (810)-265-9221